cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Delamination

JCR-1
Explorer
Explorer
Have they(Manufacturers) yet to conquer the delamination problems associated with fiberglass?? Any new composites out there that will not delaminate ?
11 REPLIES 11

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
Toddupton wrote:
Azdel

Azdel is not a miracle product, it's more marketing than anything. Don't believe all the BS on RV brochures.

The Azdel will not come apart itself like luan plywood may if wet, but the filon skin can still delaminate from the Azdel, or the Azdel from the foam/structure. What about the inner layer that the wall covering is applied to? That's typically still luan. It's delamination when any of that happens. Azdel better.......absolutely, Guaranteed to prevent delamination......not so much.

The whole mess is glued together with water based low VOC adhesive.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
With any product, water that gets in will cause SOME kind of damage. If it doesn't delaminate, it will rot, mold, etc.
The key is keeping water from getting in and that takes constant inspection of all the caulking everywhere on the RV.

Tin-bender
Explorer
Explorer
Sealing an issue with de-lam I wonder. We bought a new Cougar in 2013, it was 3 months out of the assembly plant. On the walk through we noticed bubbles in the front cap. The salesman jumped on it immediately, photographed and made notes and said it would be taken care of. Once at home about a week later I noticed the same bubbling in the rear cap, called the dealer, he said send him some pictures, we did.

Two weeks later we took the trailer to the dealer and both front and rear caps were replaced. No problems, no hassel.

I wonder how 6 + years later that manufactures could still be turning out trailers that they know will have to have the caps replaced, maybe they are just hoping they will last beyond the warranty.

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
goducks10 wrote:
donn0128 wrote:
Never had any delam issues in 11 years of owning my CC. But I was religious about sealing it too.

I would think that with the CC hung wall type that delam is all but non existent. Sealing definitely helps but with the hung wall it seems you're already ahead of the problem.
Why?
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

lenr
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just ordered a Coachman Chaparral fifth wheel. Azdel use was a big reason in the choice.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:
Never had any delam issues in 11 years of owning my CC. But I was religious about sealing it too.

I would think that with the CC hung wall type that delam is all but non existent. Sealing definitely helps but with the hung wall it seems you're already ahead of the problem.

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
Toddupton wrote:
Azdel

I agree. Although only found on a few units by different MFG's (Lance, Forest River Surveyor to name a few) Azdel should be a big improvement since it contains no wood layer. I beieve more MFG's will switch to it in time.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
The majority of delamination is caused by water intrusion. If a owner fails to maintain the caulking seal on the roof ( with the proper product ) you will have water intrusion. Maintenance is the key to longevity.

Toddupton
Explorer
Explorer
Azdel

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not aware of any. Your best defense against it is regular inspections of all seals. At least twice a year.
Chuck D.
โ€œAdventure is just bad planning.โ€ - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)