cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Digital to Analog

waterdawg
Explorer
Explorer
I apologize if this question has already been discussed but I am searching for a resolution involving an Element TV that was supposed to be able to receive a digital signal. It does not receive a digital signal but I want to know if there is a fix so that I can watch TV when I go to a new camp site . I have heard of digital television to analog television converter boxes but I don’t know if this is worth the money or if I should just get a different TV . If there is a cheap option to buy a converter box can please someone tell me the model and how much I might expect to spend to purchase it ?
22 REPLIES 22

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
Let us know if the new television works.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

waterdawg
Explorer
Explorer
Going to purchase a new TV. Thanks for all the help!!!

westend
Explorer
Explorer
I'm guessing he walked over to the office and got a cable box so that his TV issues are fixed.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
ktmrfs wrote:
waterdawg wrote:
Oddly enough I bought this TV last year and it will not pick up a digital signal so I did a little research and found out that element TVs are being investigated because they are not advertising correctly

there are a fair number of TV's being sold now that do NOT have a off the air tuner built in. the only work with cable or sat signals.

It may say digital etc. which means it will accept the digital input from cable or sat. that does NOT mean it has a tuner for over the air signals. many tv's have that tuner built in. some do not. A quick search on elements TV kinda indicates that it has not over the air tuner on some models, but the advertizing is confusing as to what it really has.

Usually in fine print on the front of the box. And yes it is perfectly fine to sell one like that as long as is labeled.

To be clear, IF it is marketed and sold as a "TV" or "TELEVISION SET" it MUST have a TUNER.

HOWEVER, if it is marketed and sold as a "MONITOR" OR "TV MONITOR" it DOES NOT HAVE TO HAVE A TUNER.

The OP gave to little of information to jump to conclusions that it does not have a tuner or what kind of tuner or what kind of video source they are trying to tune in.

From the beginning, if it was sold as a TV it WILL have a tuner, once the OTA broadcasts switched over to DIGITAL ATSC and the ANALOG NTSC broadcasts were shut down pretty much any set sold as a TV WILL have a NTSC (analog) AND ATSC digital capable tuner.

Now, to muddy the waters, cable systems ARE NOT REQUIRED to follow or use the same rules as OTA broadcasts so if the OP is trying to tune digital cable channels they may be out of luck..

Cable systems use a different digital transmission called QAM, it is not compatible with ATSC and therefore the TV manufacturer may or may not include QAM capability in the tuner.

To furthermore muddy the water, cable systems within the last 4-5 yrs are no longer required to provide any "in the clear" and open basic channels provided they supply a basic cable box at no charge.

Because of this rule change, many cable systems have dropped analog channels in favor of all digital QAM channels AND they ARE now enabling the "private data bit" of QAM effectively hiding (scrambling)from any TV with QAM capable tuners that do not have keycard slot.

TV manufacturers also have not standardized how you setup the TVs so every TV model has different ways to setup the tuner.

Some may have selection settings for OTA or Cable, some say TV and Cable, some may say Antenna and cable and some may not even give option for OTA or Cable (these will scan for ALL possible OTA AND cable channels).

As you can see, it is a complicated question that can't be answered without some more information for the OP..

To stop the guessing, OP needs to give the model number of the TV in question and if they are trying cable, over the air or sat as the source they are trying to get..

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
waterdawg wrote:
Oddly enough I bought this TV last year and it will not pick up a digital signal so I did a little research and found out that element TVs are being investigated because they are not advertising correctly

there are a fair number of TV's being sold now that do NOT have a off the air tuner built in. the only work with cable or sat signals.

It may say digital etc. which means it will accept the digital input from cable or sat. that does NOT mean it has a tuner for over the air signals. many tv's have that tuner built in. some do not. A quick search on elements TV kinda indicates that it has not over the air tuner on some models, but the advertizing is confusing as to what it really has.

Usually in fine print on the front of the box. And yes it is perfectly fine to sell one like that as long as is labeled.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
A quick Google reveals that the Element TV may be your problem. A new TV is probably in your future.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

jerseyjim
Explorer
Explorer
I remember when the "analog to digital" was just being started...and all these stores had the converter boxes. Also...the gov't was picking up some of the cost.
I bought 2. Still using the one in my RV when using the batwing.(Not often.)

yes, the gov't chipped in a good part of the cost...but then, y'had to pay sales tax on the COMPLETE cost of the box. They getcha' comin' and goin'.

tinstartrvlr
Explorer
Explorer
When you do an over the air scan, does your tv show that it is discovering any digital channels?
Most TV's I've had separate the results.

And, I discovered that the digital channels were in the 3 digit band (channel 100 and above). Channels in the two digit band were analog.

Same thing whether ota or cable.

My 2cents FWIW

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Life is short. Cut your loses. Buy another TV.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Neil_Citro
Explorer
Explorer
The converter box is only for receiving digital over the air broadcasts on a TV with an analog antenna tuner. They have nothing to do with cable TV reception. If your TV isn't pulling in the cable TV either your TV is defective or you need a cable box from the front office.

That said in my camper when it was new I had to reterminate most of the cable TV connectors to get park cable to work reliably. To rule out your campers wiring you should run a coax straight from the pole I'm through a window to the TV. If that works you know your issue is in your wiring.
2017 Grand Design Reflection 28BH
2019 Ford F350 SD 6.7L

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Have you turned off the antenna booster? When the booster is on ( visible little light ) it will not allow cable signals to pass through “unmolested”.

Just a note- when you get the signal from the park cable to your new TV you may be unhappy with the reception. A lot of park cable systems are analog only, no high def, and crappy to boot.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
If you are plugged into cable, turn off your antenna.

waterdawg
Explorer
Explorer
There website states “High Definition all Digital Direct TV”