cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do dealers even order regular or extended CAB's anymore?

mbloof
Explorer
Explorer
Greetings,

while my 1st two trucks were regular cab models, my last two and current truck is a "super cab" (extended cab) which was very difficult to find in my area.

Is all that dealerships order these days are "crew cab" configurations? I see much like last year when I was shopping for a truck, lots full of crew cab models and hardly (if ever) a extended cab or regular cab to be found.

Having had two 'super cab' trucks, I got used to the extra storage in the back row. What am I missing here?

Does everyone carry more people than just the other half in the cab (hence the extra seating required) or does the extra storage space of a crew cab is to die for?

I'm camping solo most of the time and could not bring myself to justify the extra wheel base, larger doors, extra seating (and cost) of a crew cab. I had a hard time finding a super cab model.

I don't get it.
33 REPLIES 33

mountainkowboy
Explorer
Explorer
I have to say I miss the Dodge.....

97 mechanical 6bt turned up to 375hp NV4500 trans. Got 22 mpg empty and 15 with the AF @ 75mph.
Chuck & Ruth with 4-legged Molly
2007 Tiffin Allegro 30DA
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
DWeikert wrote:
monkey44 wrote:
DWeikert wrote:
camperguy99 wrote:
Be careful. I think some of the cab/bed lengths have smaller gas tanks. Can't go far on a sub 30 gal tank?

What he said. My factory tank is 26 gallons. Talk about range anxiety. I solved that problem with a 30 gallon auxiliary tank where the spare tire used to be.

Correct on the 1500 GM - 26 Gal, but the 2500 GM has a 36 gal gas tank ... so, quite a difference in range... and has the Dbl Cab Sht Bed.

It's the extended/double cab, short bed model that has 26 gallons. I have the 2500HD and have 26 gallons. If I had the crew cab or 8' bed it would have a 36 gallon tank.

Edit: It looks like a new 2500HD in my configuration does have the 36 gallon tank. Not sure what year that changed.

I believe it changed in 2015 ... new frame etc. So, more room for fuel tank ... plus lots of complaints about short range w 26 gal tank.

My 2003 had a 26 gal, but we bought a 2015 2500HD new, and it has 36 gal tank ... we always breathe easier on the road now. In the past, we carried two additional five gal gas tanks just in case. Now, we don't.
Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

Frank_Mehaffey
Explorer
Explorer
We live in Vermont, where dealers pretty much have the higher end trucks. The only time I have seen a single cab is at the larger dealers where they have some "commercial" trucks for companies who purchase a fleet. Trying to find a basic truck, with a vinyl floor and self powered windows is pretty much impossible. When we bought our first 2 F250's, I ordered both as base models, with the camper package, 8' bed, and the extended cab for our dogs. We were very happy with the trucks, and made sure that they were 2 X 4. We had no problems with a 2 wheel drive, and had the added benefit of a larger load capacity and less maintenance. 6 years ago, my wife ran into a light pole in slippery weather, and we had to replace the truck quickly, as we were going to Florida in 4 weeks. All they had on the lot were the double cab, 6' bed, 4 X 4, with carpets and power everything. Even the base models all have air conditioning and cruise control, which is really all you need to travel with a TC. Well.......our dealer had nothing we wanted on their lot, or anywhere in Vermont or NY, or New England. Well, they kept looking and found a 2 wheel drive, extended cab, camper package, 8' bed in Maryland! I flew down to Baltimore/DC airport and the dealer had driven to the airport to deliver the truck. I drove him back to his shop and drove back to VT. My dealer took the price of the flight off of what I owed, and I got exactly what we wanted. The point of my story is that pickup trucks have always been multi use vehicles, but the manufacturers send very few of the basic, functional models to dealers. I have always said that if you had a bunch of 8" beds, no frills, half of them 2 X 4's, you would probably sell them before you sell the crew cab, 4 wheel drive, chariots of the gods. Someday, the manufacturers and dealers will figure that out. In the meantime, next truck we get will be pretty much the same.....and 15-20,000 dollars cheaper!

DWeikert
Explorer II
Explorer II
monkey44 wrote:
DWeikert wrote:
camperguy99 wrote:
Be careful. I think some of the cab/bed lengths have smaller gas tanks. Can't go far on a sub 30 gal tank?

What he said. My factory tank is 26 gallons. Talk about range anxiety. I solved that problem with a 30 gallon auxiliary tank where the spare tire used to be.

Correct on the 1500 GM - 26 Gal, but the 2500 GM has a 36 gal gas tank ... so, quite a difference in range... and has the Dbl Cab Sht Bed.

It's the extended/double cab, short bed model that has 26 gallons. I have the 2500HD and have 26 gallons. If I had the crew cab or 8' bed it would have a 36 gallon tank.

Edit: It looks like a new 2500HD in my configuration does have the 36 gallon tank. Not sure what year that changed.
Dan
2008 Chevy D/A 2500HD ECSB
2010 Northstar 8.5 Adventurer

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
Kayteg1 wrote:
joerg68 wrote:
I just went to ford.com and tried. Obviously I can't go back in time, but for the current Ford Super Duty model I can not configure anything higher than Lariat when it is a SuperCab/Extended Cab. Crew cab only. I don't know when this started, but I am fairly positive it is not all new.

When I was looking for a newer F350 Ext. Cab, long bed, gas, SRW with not too many miles (<120K or so) last year, I got just three hits on Autotrader nationwide. Two were white work trucks, the third I ended up buying.

That reminds me my dilemma when I was building my 2017 F350 online.
I like King Ranch trim very much, but it was not available with supercab. Could not get answer why.

Because the vast majority of buyers are not going to foot the bill for the King Ranch or Platinum trim levels, and most of the buyers of those trim levels want the crew. Ford knows their markets. I'd bet that those two trim levels make up less than 10% of F150 and SD sales, probably less than 5%. Same with the Chevy High Country and GMC Denali.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
My SuperCab dually has 26 gallons tank.
That gives me 300-330 miles with camper or 400 empty.
Kind of suck comparing to 700 miles range we have in latest sedan, but than I remember cars that made you nervous seeking gas station after 200 miles.

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
monkey44 wrote:
DWeikert wrote:
camperguy99 wrote:

Correct on the 1500 GM - 26 Gal, but the 2015 - 2500 GM has a 36 gal gas tank ... so, quite a difference in range... and has the Dbl Cab Sht Bed.
Monkey44
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
DWeikert wrote:
camperguy99 wrote:

Monkey44
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845

DWeikert
Explorer II
Explorer II
camperguy99 wrote:

Dan
2008 Chevy D/A 2500HD ECSB
2010 Northstar 8.5 Adventurer

mbloof
Explorer
Explorer
monkey44 wrote:
DWeikert wrote:
What GM didn't make when I bought my truck, and after just checking the web still doesn't, is a 3500 double (extended) cab with the 6' bed. They do in the 2500 but for the 1 ton if you want a short bed you must get the crew cab, or if you want an extended cab you must get the 8' bed. Or do what I did and get the 2500, beef up the tires/wheels and suspension and get one of the lighter campers.

Kinda sucks nowadays that we pay a kings ransom for a truck, THEN have to modify it to get what we want - need ... 😞

I searched high and low the used/preowned market and then the new market and finally found (1) one F250/PSD/SC/Lariat that I added airbags and the 19.5" tires off my old truck. I wanted a SRW F350/PSD/SC but all the lots in my area were full of CREW CAB's and stripped down (XT) regular cab trucks. I bought the last new F250PSD/SC/Lariat within 100mils of where I live. 🙂

It kinda sucks that we have to ether special order or put up with the slim pickings the dealers get. I would of considered a crew cab but did not want the turning radius and wheel base (weight and cost!).

camperguy99
Explorer
Explorer

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
One of the main issues for those of us with truck campers -- we can't fit on anything less than the short-bed at six foot six or so. When the Crew Cab or Dual Cab becomes standard, it will be too short for TC bodies because some of the design edges toward the very short bed at five foot five to overcome the very long truck for everyday use.

I know, we are not a target market for truck manufacturers, but we still need the bed that fits.
Monkey44
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
joerg68 wrote:
I just went to ford.com and tried. Obviously I can't go back in time, but for the current Ford Super Duty model I can not configure anything higher than Lariat when it is a SuperCab/Extended Cab. Crew cab only. I don't know when this started, but I am fairly positive it is not all new.

When I was looking for a newer F350 Ext. Cab, long bed, gas, SRW with not too many miles (<120K or so) last year, I got just three hits on Autotrader nationwide. Two were white work trucks, the third I ended up buying.

That reminds me my dilemma when I was building my 2017 F350 online.
I like King Ranch trim very much, but it was not available with supercab. Could not get answer why.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
mkirsch wrote:
I wouldn't be surprised. We've already seen the end of the manual transmission. 2WD is slowly disappearing. We may be seeing the end of standard and extended cab trucks as well.

Like someone else said, manufacturers will make what sells. Right now the crew cab is overwhelmingly popular, especially with the 5.5' (short) bed that leaves the trucks with pretty much the same wheelbase as the extended/double cab 6.5' (standard) bed.

Keep in mind that most people by far don't use their trucks as trucks. Even the ones that own 2500/3500 or Super Duties. Cab space is more important than bed space. You're outnumbered 100,000:1.

In the future there will only be two types of vehicles: Hatchback SUVs/CUVs, and crew cab pickup trucks.

Or maybe you can still use a truck as a truck even if it has the convienence of 4 doors and a short bed.
Weird I know.....
Just grossed about 20k in my “soccer mobile “ 4 door short bed last week and I’ve been working out of a crew cab 6’ bed for years now.
Personally I considered it an upgrade when I started getting crew cab work trucks.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold