cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you lock your turnbuckles?

Haggis_6_2
Explorer
Explorer
So after much hemming and hawing we are now the proud owners of an AF990 preparing for our first adventure. We are equipped with the torklift tiedowns and fastgun turnbuckles - both easily removed. Seems prudent to secure these in place to avoid a PITA situation should someone remove one or all. I was thinking of bolting the ties downs and padlocking the fastguns in-place of the clinch pins (or torklift locks).

What do you do?
40 REPLIES 40

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad
Nah-$400 why go to the effort, I couldnt afford the 1st time-let alone repeat. Dont lock the truck doors either, leave a window halfway just in case I do accidentally lock.
Release the primary latch on hood so it can easily be opened, never know when some poor sod needs batteries more than me, or needs something to swap for a bottle of red. Leave camper keys in the door when about, its not locked either but just in case perusing cabinet contents desired.

No such thing as low life's, thieves or pranksters, let alone kids just messing around. Lord forbid I lock the front door of the house when away-someone might call me paranoid. Jeesh

Seriously, the fastguns on camper like a ripe bunch of grapes on the vine 3' from the road. I lock. Not to concerned about where we camp but stopping on the road some of the parking lots iffy-getting groceries or a burger, or out on roadside trail. why invite?

Never thought about bolting the extensions, be nice to redrill larger, tired of those 1/4" pins bending.
01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page http://www.ourelkhorn.itgo.com

towpro
Explorer
Explorer
Keyed alike master locks here
2022 Ford F150
Sold: 2016 Arctic Fox 990, 2018 Ram 3500, 2011 Open Range
Sold Forest River Forester 2401R Mercedes Benz. when campsites went from $90 to $190 per night.

srschang
Nomad
Nomad
Nope, don't lock them. First, I don't know why anyone would want to steal them, and more importantly, if I have to be that paranoid about fastguns, it's time to find another sport.

2022 Ram 3500 Dually Crewcab Longbed Cummins, 2019 Northstar 12 STC

fpoole
Explorer
Explorer
Samo-samo, the Torklift Fast Gun locks, one key for all four locks...

I'm not real sure why but the thought someone 'Lifting' the fast guns as they are $$$ keeps me using them. Also, since you're going to use something to keep the Fast Gun from accidently popping off/opening (not sure that has or will happen, but??? like a tow/hitch pin..)

It's quick n easy, just have to make sure you have the key.. Also, just make sure they are "Locked" as I did lose one on the road.

Hope that helps..
Frank Poole
Roam'n ROG (Full Timer since Oct '15)
2016 RAM 5500, C/c, 6.7 Diesel, AISIN HD 6-spd, 19.5 DRW, 72 Gal fuel, 4x4, 10’ Alum FB, 440 Amps, 4.10 Axle
2016 AF 990 640-Solar/10-6v Batts
GlowStep Stow N’ Go, E-Bike
RS1 Buggy
frank

Pooles website

B_GAGE
Explorer
Explorer
Fast Gun Locks on ours.
Bill & Donna

2004 Arctic Fox 22GQ, Loaded
2003 Dodge 2500, Quad Cab, 4X4, CTD 5 Speed
2015 Ram 3500 Limited, Crew Cab, CTD, Aisin
2017 Wolfcreek 840, Loaded

LewMichele_Paws
Explorer
Explorer
Yup, fast gun locks, and they are starting to rust.
'06 Ford F350 V10 CC 4X4 SB auto 4.10
'06 Arctic Fox 811

Don't lose your head...to save a minute...you need your head...your brains are in it...Burma Shave

States visited in our RV...

work2much
Explorer
Explorer
Fast gun locks are overpriced imo. That being said, that’s what we use
2022 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD DRW Crew 4x4 Aisin 4:10 Air ride.

2020 Grand Design Solitude 2930RL 2520 watts solar. 600ah lithium. Magnum 4000 watt inverter.

lap527
Explorer
Explorer
Fast guns locks. We were using cheap locks but they started rusting so we went with the fast gun locks, looks much better. Thievery has started to hit campgrounds. On our camping trip last week some lowlife stole our alumium folding table. We had left our grill, leveling blocks, rug and table at our site and upon returning someone helped themselves to our table. POS thieves!
2006 Dodge 3500 dually 4X4 / 2013 Livin Lite 10.0 TC /Torklift talons, fastguns, stableloads, superhitch, and truss/ towing a
14'V Nose Trailer when needed.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
I bought a set of 4 Masters keyed alike, easy and cheap.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

996Pilot
Explorer
Explorer
If the fastguns are on and tight, it would be very difficult to remove the tie downs (JMHO). That said, I do neither although I keep thinking I should lock the fastguns.
2018 Arctic Fox 811
2015 RAM 3500 SRW Laramie Longhorn 6.7 Cummins 68RFE Timbren SES, Lower Stableloads
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Laramie 5.9 Cummins 48RE TRADED
2006 Outfitter Apex 8 TRADED

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
Fast gun locks.