cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does my full-time TC plan seem reasonable?

new2this44
Explorer
Explorer
This is very much a lifestyle question, possibly too broad for this forum. My apologies if so.

I am a single guy in my 30's. I work from home. My dream is to have an off-grid homestead in the Pacific Northwest. Although somewhat familiar, I don't know the landscape well enough to ascertain where the right location is for me.

My plan is to sell my car, get a gas dually + Arctic Fox, and hit the road. When I find the right land (6 months? A year? Longer? doesn't really matter) I will build a cabin at my own pace while living in the TC.

My questions:

- Is it reasonable to expect a new Arctic Fox to withstand full-time living for 3-5 years?

- I doubt I'll have much use for the TC once the cabin is complete. I would be happy to buy a cabin/tiny house/ etc right away instead of building. Should I scrap the TC and rent an apartment for (X) months, then buy a home? I've never purchased property before so I guess I'm asking...is it reasonable to expect living in a TC will give me a more intimate feel for such a rural area?

Thank you in advance for any reassurances. This is the biggest decision of my life...I don't want to screw it up hehhe.
32 REPLIES 32

Hemi_Joel
Explorer
Explorer
Go for it in the AF! I've stayed in my AF 1150 for up to 8 weeks at a time, and very seldom paid for my overnight. It's way easier to move, park, stealth camp, just about everything in a truck camper. Why would 1 single guy need to lug a trailer around for "more space"? The only 1 thing I didn't like was not having a recliner chair, so I switched to the Eagle Cap 1165 truck camper, so now I have everything. I could definitely full time in it if I chose to do so. Good luck, Joel
2018 Eagle Cap 1163 triple slide, 400W solar, MPPT, on a 93 Dodge D350 Cummins, DTT 89 torque converter, big turbo, 3 extra main leafs, Rancho 9000s rear, Monroe gas magnums front, upper overloads removed, home made stableloads, bags.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
If I were to decide to full time in a truck camper, it would be a tough decision to make deciding between a non slide 865 and a 811 or 990 (with slide).

For the stealth parking aspect, a non slide makes the most sense.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
A quick scan of this thread and it didn't appear anyone mentioned this young man yet, but he lives in Victoria and is coming close to 2 years as a full timer in his AF 990.

Taylor Dzaman full times in his AF990
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer
new2this44 wrote:
This is very much a lifestyle question, possibly too broad for this forum. My apologies if so.

I am a single guy in my 30's. I work from home. My dream is to have an off-grid homestead in the Pacific Northwest. Although somewhat familiar, I don't know the landscape well enough to ascertain where the right location is for me.

My plan is to sell my car, get a gas dually + Arctic Fox, and hit the road. When I find the right land (6 months? A year? Longer? doesn't really matter) I will build a cabin at my own pace while living in the TC.

My questions:

- Is it reasonable to expect a new Arctic Fox to withstand full-time living for 3-5 years?

- I doubt I'll have much use for the TC once the cabin is complete. I would be happy to buy a cabin/tiny house/ etc right away instead of building. Should I scrap the TC and rent an apartment for (X) months, then buy a home? I've never purchased property before so I guess I'm asking...is it reasonable to expect living in a TC will give me a more intimate feel for such a rural area?

Thank you in advance for any reassurances. This is the biggest decision of my life...I don't want to screw it up hehhe.

Id say go for it if thats what you want.
Ive done exactly same thing,bought 3 acres and built my own log house,
Using stackwall construction.
If I did it today I would use Structural Concrete panels

https://tridipanel.com/tech-specs/

covered_wagon
Explorer
Explorer
Kayteg1 wrote:
Most of permit fees are based on value of the project.
One way to lower the fee is act as "owner-builder" and as project value put material only cost.

Not true..... you have to check the county fee lists. some are like dealing with the mafia except they are legal in their right to collect.

I've seen 18,000 bucks for the paper work and still climbing. Owner finally gave up with their unreasonable restrictions imposed on the job.

Like I said we are doing a rural job right now where the fees to the county totals more than all the framing materials including deck framing, roof trusses. I might add that we are not using OSB, we are using real plywood.

Since 1985.... never ever have seen this before. These are the facts and don't want to be deleted so I won't post my real feelings about it.

Your better off with a travel trailer for room to store supplies and some allow up to 400 sq. ft. accessory building w/o a permit if on acreage. Jus depends on county or city. Generally speaking the more rural the county the better it will be for you expense wise. And counties are better than city or town limits.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Did y’all miss the part where the OP said he’d be traveling between 6mo and however long? For moving around all the time a TC is an advantage if the size is ok for him.
Yes TT wold be better, parked at the lot since the house project is 3-5 years??? (That’s a long time to build a house. If you don’t have the money, don’t start. And if you do, don’t fck around and get it built.)
So which is better overall? Flip a coin.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
whizbang wrote:
No. It's not reasonable.

Truck campers are the most expensive RV's per size/cubic volume. Their advantage is mobility. They are smaller than most and can take rough roads or smaller parking placing than other RV's.

Since your's will be mostly parked, you are far better off with a travel trailer or Class C. Either will give you a better living space. And save you money up front.

Brand new your 100% correct but used not so much...Used TC's around here are better priced than most of the of the other RV's and are suited for use just as you mentioned.

In my opinion anytime anyone buys a new RV(any class) they take a big hit financially where a good used or barely used unit does not take that hit because it already has...

Used travel trailers around here are over priced because that's what the majority wants where as truck campers are more for people that just need or think they want one and there not in demand as a used trailer therefor cheaper..

I would never buy new when so many are just barely used and the seller is ready to take the loss to move on.
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

whizbang
Explorer
Explorer
No. It's not reasonable.

Truck campers are the most expensive RV's per size/cubic volume. Their advantage is mobility. They are smaller than most and can take rough roads or smaller parking placing than other RV's.

Since your's will be mostly parked, you are far better off with a travel trailer or Class C. Either will give you a better living space. And save you money up front.
Whizbang
2002 Winnebago Minnie
http://www.raincityhome.com/RAWH/index.htm

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Most of permit fees are based on value of the project.
One way to lower the fee is act as "owner-builder" and as project value put material only cost.

covered_wagon
Explorer
Explorer
Yep the county tried to figure out a way to charge me $1500 just for a driveway permit. Heck that's almost 5 loads of gravel needed right there. Explaining that I'm coming off an existing easement driveway already started from the county road years ago, they said okay 500 bucks then. That is still excessive and I feel is wrong.

The county gravel road we drive to get their (serves at least 15 other homes) does not even meet the standards they are trying to impose on me.

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
covered wagon wrote:
Best advice is check out the county building fees and permit costs before buying in any county.

Some are so restrictive and full of the fees they cost more than the entire framing package, including the roof structure. I've seen it.

Next is to get a travel trailer and bring that to the property while building. They are cheaper and bigger inside for what you need. This leaves the truck free for chasing materials and products you'll need.

Good advice.
"Developing property" which is what you propose, can be daunting, depending on what county you choose.
And believe me - you will be considered a "developer" in the worst sense of the word - if you choose the wrong property. Choosing a camper will pale in comparison.
Don't let your day dream turn into a nightmare.
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
“The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
covered wagon wrote:
Best advice is check out the county building fees and permit costs before buying in any county. Some are so restrictive and full of the fees they cost more than the entire framing package, including the roof structure. I've seen it.

No doubt, due to the rising popularity of "off grid homesteading" as spurred on by various reality television shows over the years. The ones that are already there, moved there so they wouldn't have "neighbors" and now people who saw a TV show are moving in all around...

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
You certainly can expect a new Arctic Fox to last that long if you do your part..As far as your off grid in the NW,how far off grid?..In Idaho off grid usually means that cell service is spotty at best if needed for your work...

Full timing in a TC for a single guy is a piece of cake.Unlike a trailer or fifth wheel,you can take you home just about anywhere and when you pullover,that's home know matter where...

I have full timed in all the classes of RV and found the 24ft Class C to work best for the four of us..Went most everywhere we wanted and the easiest to just park and be home way back in the hills...

Good luck and enjoy
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

covered_wagon
Explorer
Explorer
Best advice is check out the county building fees and permit costs before buying in any county. Some are so restrictive and full of the fees they cost more than the entire framing package, including the roof structure. I've seen it.

Next is to get a travel trailer and bring that to the property while building. They are cheaper and bigger inside for what you need. This leaves the truck free for chasing materials and products you'll need.