cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dometic 300 toilet replacement?

Hardline
Explorer
Explorer
We purchased a Heartland Sundowner last month. First time we took it out we noticed water on the floor after we flushed. Saw a video of replacing the seals. So as I was researching that I saw that this toilet has horrible reviews. Is there a go to replacement that will just bolt in and be a quality unit? TIA!
8 REPLIES 8

lane_hog
Explorer II
Explorer II
Seems like the dealership should have replaced it on their dime. At least you know it's not going to be an issue later. The porcelain bowls have been a huge upgrade. So much easier to keep clean.
  • 2019 Grand Design 29TBS (had a Winnebago and 3x Jayco owner)
  • 2016 F-150 3.5L MaxTow (had Ram 2500 CTD, Dodge Durango)
  • 130W solar and 2005 Honda EU2000i twins that just won't quit

Hardline
Explorer
Explorer
lane hog wrote:
I'm not going to alter my opinion of Dometic on someone's interaction with a rep over the phone. I've used their products for almost 20 years, and they have been a solid name because their products hold up.

Yes, some of the 300's had issues, and Dometic replaced each and every one that was in the affected batches and still under warranty. Later 300's didn't have the same issue.

I'd be curious why the previous owner of your coach didn't notice if there was an issue. Did it sit unused so long that the seals dried up?

Not trying to alter anyone opinion, just sharing my experience. Maybe I talked to the wrong department. It was what felt like quite a hold as I was 7th in the que. Just looked back on my phone. It was a 48 minute phone call.

And at the end of the day I went and purchased on my dime a Dometic 310 unit and installed. BTW which literally took all of 10-15 minutes. The old unit did have some dirty ness in the cavity between the bowl and base. I can only assume the previous owner was having the same issue but since I bought it last month at a dealership I do not know the previous owner personally and their experience with the unit. But all is good now.

lane_hog
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm not going to alter my opinion of Dometic on someone's interaction with a rep over the phone. I've used their products for almost 20 years, and they have been a solid name because their products hold up.

Yes, some of the 300's had issues, and Dometic replaced each and every one that was in the affected batches and still under warranty. Later 300's didn't have the same issue.

I'd be curious why the previous owner of your coach didn't notice if there was an issue. Did it sit unused so long that the seals dried up?
  • 2019 Grand Design 29TBS (had a Winnebago and 3x Jayco owner)
  • 2016 F-150 3.5L MaxTow (had Ram 2500 CTD, Dodge Durango)
  • 130W solar and 2005 Honda EU2000i twins that just won't quit

Hardline
Explorer
Explorer
Just an update. I talked to Jason at dometic. He was less than helpful. His first response was it was out of warranty since they only have a 2 year warranty. I said thanks but Iโ€™ve heard of a possible recall on the 300 models?

He advised me to take it to a dealership for replacement on my dime. I then told him I would not be bringing it to a dealership to wait months for a toilet replacement. I would either purchase a toilet myself or a replacement from him if they stood behind their products. His next response was how will you dispose of the old toilet. So my question was, why is it a biohazard? He asked is there urine in it. No, Iโ€™ve flushed it. ???????

He said we definitely stand behind our product give me the serial number and I will check it. Comes back and says nope that serial number does not fall in the range of any that we have any issues with. To say he was less then helpful would be an understatement. He seemed to have a tone about him too which made it even less of a pleasant experience. But thatโ€™s fine. Iโ€™ll share my experience with Dometic with anyone who ever asks a question about them. Iโ€™ll go buy a replacement unit. But, Thank yโ€™all for all the help! Yโ€™all are an excellent resource. BTW I did just get back from getting the 215/75/14 GY Endurance tires installed. Leaving out Friday and having nรฉe tires and now having a spare is a little more assuring of being prepared. ????

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
I just put in an Aqua-Magic Residence. Also added a soft close toilet seat and a bidet attachment. Had to do minor plumbing adjustments and surgery on the toilet for the bidet to fit. Works great.
I believe any RV toilet will fit on the existing flange and come with a new seal.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

aftermath
Explorer II
Explorer II
I put a 310 in my trailer a couple of year ago. No issues to date. Really like the porcelain and how it flushes.
2017 Toyota Tundra, Double Cab, 5.7L V8
2006 Airstream 25 FB SE
Equalizer Hitch

Hardline
Explorer
Explorer
ssthrd wrote:
We have the 310 which is an upgrade to porcelain on the top section. The bottom is the same plastic as the 300. The flushing action is much better, and we have had no issues to this point at least.

The toilet flange on the floor looks to be standard, so maybe another better unit would work, but if you want to go that route, check the distance from the wall to the center of the flange, to make sure.

Found this online. Might help.

Thanks, yeah through additional googling Iโ€™ve found quite a bit of information. Iโ€™ll be calling Dometic in the morning. Hope I can do something quick. We are leaving Friday morning.

ssthrd
Explorer
Explorer
We have the 310 which is an upgrade to porcelain on the top section. The bottom is the same plastic as the 300. The flushing action is much better, and we have had no issues to this point at least.

The toilet flange on the floor looks to be standard, so maybe another better unit would work, but if you want to go that route, check the distance from the wall to the center of the flange, to make sure.

Found this online. Might help.
2014 Keystone Laredo 292RL
2013 Palomino Maverick 2902
2018 GMC 3500HD, 4x4, 6.5' box, SRW, Denali, Duramax, Andersen
DeeBee, JayBee, and Jed the Black Lab

The hurrier I go the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll)