cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dometic Compressor Fridge Issue

jsc253
Explorer
Explorer
I’m hoping to tap into the membership’s vast knowledge. I own a 2 year old Northstar TC650. It was optioned with the compressor fridge based on all the good reviews and pluses over the absorption models. It seems to have worked well until now.

I started it up and after a few hours checked the temp in the freezer and fridge. The compressor was constantly running and the fridge never got below 50 degrees. The freezer got to -13 degrees. Thinking it might need more time to cool, I left it on for 24 hours with the same results. Clearly the cooling system is pumping but the coldness isn't making it to the fridge. I’m guessing the thermostat is somewhere in the fridge and it never gets cold enough to tell the compressor to stop. I turned everything off and let the fridge sit for a couple days and then fired it up again with the same results.

I have done an internet search and very few problems with these fridges have been documented and none describe what I am experiencing. I’m hoping someone can shed some light on this. I have called a couple RV repair Techs and they have no knowledge of compressor fridges. I have reached out to Dometic and still waiting for a response. Thank you in advance.
20 REPLIES 20

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
If it matter to anyone, it looks like these units no longer use the Danfoss compressor and are being produced overseas.

Yes,good to know...When I bought my Engel compressor fridge,it was down to two compressors and Danfoss was one..
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

jsc253
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies. I tried another test and the temps were inconstant at best and the fridge never got below 40 degrees. My plan is to wait for a cooler day to try it again. I encourage everyone to use a quality thermometer to check their fridge and freezer temps. I am losing confidence in mine Still haven't heard back from Dometic. If it matter to anyone, it looks like these units no longer use the Danfoss compressor and are being produced overseas.

toddb
Explorer
Explorer
You may want to try a small appliance repair shop prior to see if they can help. They are not complicated units, may just need an expansion valve.

thedavidzoo
Explorer
Explorer
If you are talking about my replaced AC, that was a completely different company, so not sure about how Dometic process works. The number I called somehow got me around all the "representatives". Based on background noise, demeanor, etc., it felt like I was talking to someone in the warehouse who was actually doing the refurb work and somehow was authorized to replace my unit.

It is frustrating talking to know-nothings after being on hold forever and repeatedly. I have found that being the squeaky wheel with enough people does generally get the results you want. Good luck.
2014 Ram 3500 CrewCab Diesel DRW 4x4 4.10 Aisin, Torklift Fastguns, Upper Stableloads, Timbrens
2017 Northstar 12' STC
640W solar, 400Ah lithium LiFeMnPO4 batteries

jsc253
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for that Info. Were you able to deal directly with Dometic or did they have you work through a service center? So far my calls to Dometic have been frustrating. First call, waited 30 mins to speak with a Rep. Seemed to be going well until they put me on hold to check on something and then I got disconnected. Second call, waited 40 mins to speak with a different Rep who basically told me my fridge is for trucks and I should seek out a "Peterbuilt" service center. They sensed my frustration and said the only thing I could do is speak to a supervisor. Once transferred I had to leave a message and no call back yet. I really want to like this fridge and Dometic but they are making it difficult!

thedavidzoo
Explorer
Explorer
I'd contact Dometic, even if your original warranty was only 2 vs 3 years.
My Coleman Mach Cub AC crapped out 3 weeks after warranty so I was technically out of luck. HOWEVER, the company drop shipped me a good as new refurbished unit free of charge on a pallet. Couldn't say no to that!

You never know until you try!
2014 Ram 3500 CrewCab Diesel DRW 4x4 4.10 Aisin, Torklift Fastguns, Upper Stableloads, Timbrens
2017 Northstar 12' STC
640W solar, 400Ah lithium LiFeMnPO4 batteries

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
jsc253 wrote:
Thank you to all for taking time to help me out. My warranty paperwork says two years so I may have to replace it at my own cost.

That's to bad because it is 3 years now..

Dometic warranty

Good luck!
Lance 9.6
500ah Lifep04

jsc253
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you to all for taking time to help me out. My warranty paperwork says two years so I may have to replace it at my own cost.

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
That refer has a 3 year warranty..I'd check into that.
Lance 9.6
500ah Lifep04

jsc253
Explorer
Explorer
The picture shown above is accurate. The freezer is a separate compartment within the fridge box. I checked the temperatures of each area with two separate thermometers. I placed about a dozen of various bottles and cans and a cup of water (in the center of the fridge) that were pre-cooled in the house fridge and then let the truck camper fridge run for 24 hours. I checked the temperature of the water in the cup and the air within the fridge. For the freezer, I just left the thermometers inside.

My previous fridge thermometer must have got bounced around too much and was no longer accurate so I cannot compare the previous temps with the current temps. I know we never had spoiled food or got sick, but anything is possible! Secondly, during previous uses of the fridge, the compressor would cycle on and off as needed to stay cold. It currently runs non-stop which I believe is why the freezer gets so cold. It baffles me why the fridge is not getting cold enough. The gasket is good and I made sure the door was closed properly. The ambient temp has been warm but no where as hot as previous uses.

Based on all the great responses and other reading I have been doing, I'm starting to wonder if something got blocked in the cooling system and the flow of the refrigerant is not reaching the fridge area.

kohldad
Explorer
Explorer
Kohidad, since my freezer gets to -13 degrees (which I think is well below what it should be)do you think it would still be a problem with the fan and outside coils? Everything looks clean (I keep the coils clear with compressed air) and warm air is being moved by the fan when the compressor is on. It seems the ability to cool gets stopped somewhere between the freezer and fridge.

Clean coils and the fan moving air seems to be the outside common issues are okay. By chance has the ventilation for the air to/from the compressor area been blocked by something?

The coils are a single loop so if the freezer is getting cold, the freon is still getting to the fridge compartment. Otherwise nothing would work if there is a blockage not to mention it would be very unusual.

How are you checking the temperature?

Have you ever checked the temps before? Are you checking them in the same way? If not this is something you may not have noticed.
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

KansasKen
Explorer
Explorer
I don’t know the specifics of this model but it sounds like you have two expansion valves and the one for the frig section is kaput.
2011 Host Everest Triple & F350 Crew DRW 4x4 Diesel (both loaded see profile)

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
jsc253 wrote:
Thank you for the suggestions. Please keep them coming. If it would help, the fridge is a Dometic CRX 110.

The picture indicate that you don't have separate freezer compartment, so how did you take your measurements?
Empty fridge test is not much of the test.
Put come water bottles in both compartments.
Also page 6 in manual shows minimum clearances.

jsc253
Explorer
Explorer
Kohidad, since my freezer gets to -13 degrees (which I think is well below what it should be)do you think it would still be a problem with the fan and outside coils? Everything looks clean (I keep the coils clear with compressed air) and warm air is being moved by the fan when the compressor is on. It seems the ability to cool gets stopped somewhere between the freezer and fridge.

Jim, Thank you for your recommendation of Nova Kool. If I can't figure out a fix for this unit, the next one will NOT be a Dometic! Northstar now has a lower and upper external vent similar to what is required for an absorption fridge. There isn't a lot of extra space on the sides of the fridge within the cabinet. Certainly not to the specs shown in the install manual. I believe these units can be mounted without any external venting (on a boat for example) if there is sufficient airflow on all sides. I'm guessing the upper and lower external vents on my unit probably allow enough airflow.

Thanks again for everyone's thoughts and suggestions. I really like many aspects of the compressor fridges, but service and knowledge about them has been challenging.