cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Drill motor for stabilizers

Rick_Y
Explorer
Explorer
Looking for recommendations on which cordless drill I should buy for raising and lowering my stabilizers. Appreciate any advice. Thanks.
Rick & Karen
2017 Hideout 177LHS travel trailer
2021 Ford Ranger w/tow package, named "Lil Toe"

Estu inteligenta, kaj parolu Esperanton
84 REPLIES 84

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Battery tools to raise and lower jacks/stabilizers has never been a issue in the 61 years I've been camping.
Guess I'm not camping in the right camp grounds to hear all the noisy annoying battery operated tools running early in a morning.
Noise bothering someone in a camp ground from a battery powered impact tool on a scale from 1 to 10 is about a 1..... maybe...JMO.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

teejaywhy
Explorer
Explorer
Odd how some will rationalize annoying behavior as OK because it's less annoying than other more annoying behaviors.
:h
The Yost Outpost
Gilbert, AZ
2007 GMC Sierra Classic 2500HD, Duramax LBZ
2019 Nash 23D

teejaywhy
Explorer
Explorer
BurbMan wrote:
Most of us with staabilizer jacks use this Milwaukee, but you could probably get something smaller if you're on a budget. The weaker ones sometimes don't do anything tho.

Holy Overkill Batman!!

I think an impact driver is the wrong tool.

I use an 18V Rigid drill. 535 in-lb of torque. ~$100. Pick the cordless system of your choice. I chose Rigid because of lifetime warranty including batteries!

Caution - Hold with both hands, it'll break your wrist!
The Yost Outpost
Gilbert, AZ
2007 GMC Sierra Classic 2500HD, Duramax LBZ
2019 Nash 23D

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
dodge guy wrote:
The next person I hear using an impact on their stabilizers im throwing their impact in the garbage or in a lake! :B

Please use a cordless drill!

Just tell them to use their open air generator to power the impact. That will drown out the sound of the noisy impact. :B

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Bears Den wrote:
Been using a cordless drill for years. Never got a dirty look from neighboring campers. It does the job I need it to.

Yep, thatโ€™s because you are using a drill and not an impact! :C
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
GrandpaKip wrote:
Since I have several 20v DeWalt tools in my shop, and most came with battery and charger, I carry a battery charger with me. Theyโ€™re small and light. In addition, I also have a drill-driver and an 18v impact wrench (with an adapter for 20v batteries). All live in the front pass through.

We have the charger unit with us but sometimes forget to put the battery back on it.

It's not the end of the world if it's dead, we still have the hand crank and not worth pulling out the air compressor to run the impact driver.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

dieseltruckdriv
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have to agree that the impacts are annoyingly loud. I was walking early one morning, 6ish and some a$$hat decided that an impact at that time of the morning was the tool he needed to use so he could go home when most were sleeping. I did say something to him and he looked clueless. Love the "all about me" people. Late morning to early evening and the impacts are just an annoyance. Earlier or later than that and they are just rude.

Using a quieter tool doesn't affect anyone, and a drill is MUCH quieter than the little impacts. That being said, I have auto levelling, so I don't even need a drill.
2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

Bears_Den
Explorer
Explorer
Been using a cordless drill for years. Never got a dirty look from neighboring campers. It does the job I need it to.
2014 Kodiak 279 rbsl
2017 Ford F-150 King Ranch V8
Equalizer hitch
Ford integrated brake controller
2004 Travel Lite 23S Hybrid Travel Trailer ( previous trailer )
1998 Viking Popup ( previous trailer )

No substitute for experience

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
BurbMan wrote:
Most of us with staabilizer jacks use this Milwaukee, but you could probably get something smaller if you're on a budget. The weaker ones sometimes don't do anything tho.

Most of who?

Any drill with good torque and a charged battery will do the job. Getting a 2speed with a mechanically separate lower gear is what we went with. Don't recall the brand.

Biggest issue is you forget to recharge the battery.

Since I have several 20v DeWalt tools in my shop, and most came with battery and charger, I carry a battery charger with me. Theyโ€™re small and light. In addition, I also have a drill-driver and an 18v impact wrench (with an adapter for 20v batteries). All live in the front pass through.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

Boomerweps
Explorer
Explorer
Noise from drill or impact gun in a campground during setup or tear down. 1st world problems. Rarely in the dark. More noise from yippy dogs.
2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, ITBC, SumoSprings,

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
1320Fastback wrote:
Guess I'll switch mine out before I get assaulted at the campground.

Probably a very good idea!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

A bad day camping is

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
1320Fastback wrote:

It gets bad when you have 3 people near you using them at the same time! I always used a drill. Itโ€™s better for the stabilizers.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

A bad day camping is

1320Fastback
Explorer
Explorer
1992 D250 Cummins 5psd
2005 Forest River T26 Toy Hauler

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
dodge guy wrote:
The next person I hear using an impact on their stabilizers im throwing their compact in the garbage or in a lake! :B

Lol. I thought you were serious at first too!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
The next person I hear using an impact on their stabilizers im throwing their impact in the garbage or in a lake! :B

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

A bad day camping is