cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DRW: adding new tires.

brirene
Explorer
Explorer
As some of you know I had a punctured sidewall on the passenger outer rear on a recent trip. Right now that one needs replacing, and the outer on the other side would be next. Dealer is telling me either just replace the damaged one in the same position, or all 4 across the back, which kind of makes no sense to me. Steer tires are one year old, inside rears are still in pretty good shape. Don't remember their age and don't have access to the truck. My thought is to put the fronts on the outside rear, and 2 new ones on the front. Seems better than just one new on the outside. Would that work considering tread heights? Other suggestions? My bank account objects to 4 new ones, but if necessary will go that way. Thanks for your responses.
Jayco Designer 30 RKS Medallion pkg, Trail Air pin
'05 F350 6.0 PSD CC 4x4 DRW LB B&W Companion, Edge Insight

“Certainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard
8 REPLIES 8

SoCalDesertRid1
Explorer
Explorer
I had the Tire Man valve stems on my F350 dually. Very easy to fill and check pressures on the duals with the Tire Man kit. Have to dismount all tires to install them, but it's worth it.
01 International 4800 4x4 CrewCab DT466E Allison MD3060
69Bronco 86Samurai 85ATC250R 89CR500
98Ranger 96Tacoma
20' BigTex flatbed
8' truck camper, 14' Aristocrat TT
73 Kona 17' ski boat & Mercury 1150TB
92F350 CrewCab 4x4 351/C6 285 BFG AT 4.56 & LockRite rear

TakingThe5th
Explorer
Explorer
brirene wrote:
OP here. Planning to go with 2 new ones in front, fronts to inside, and oldest on outside, as a couple of you suggested. For those who mentioned the spare, it's actually a different brand, so that won't work long term. Original owner changed them out at some point. Thanks for all of your input! It was quite helpful.

I just mounted two new front tires for the 2nd time and I'm very happy using your new plan. Be aware tho that all 6 tires will have to be re-mounted if you want your truck looking nice when it's complete as some rims are steel and some rims are polished on one side. Also think about valve stems if your tires are hard to inflate or if you are getting slow leaks. Simple replacements can make a difference.
TakingThe5th - Chicago, Western Suburbs
'05 Ford F350 Crew 6.0 DRW Bulletproofed. Pullrite Super 5th 18K 2100 hitch.
'13 Keystone Cougar 333MKS, Maxxfan 7500, Progressive EMS-HW50C, Grey Water System.

brirene
Explorer
Explorer
OP here. Planning to go with 2 new ones in front, fronts to inside, and oldest on outside, as a couple of you suggested. For those who mentioned the spare, it's actually a different brand, so that won't work long term. Original owner changed them out at some point. Thanks for all of your input! It was quite helpful.
Jayco Designer 30 RKS Medallion pkg, Trail Air pin
'05 F350 6.0 PSD CC 4x4 DRW LB B&W Companion, Edge Insight

“Certainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard

Fulltimer50
Explorer
Explorer
I have read that duallie tires should be replaced in sets so that the tires will have equal load due to being the same diameter.
George

2011 F350 PSD CC LB 4X4 DRW Lariate
2015 Mobile Suites 41RSSB4 5th Wheel

SoCalDesertRid1
Explorer
Explorer
Any way you want to do it is fine. New on the front is best.
01 International 4800 4x4 CrewCab DT466E Allison MD3060
69Bronco 86Samurai 85ATC250R 89CR500
98Ranger 96Tacoma
20' BigTex flatbed
8' truck camper, 14' Aristocrat TT
73 Kona 17' ski boat & Mercury 1150TB
92F350 CrewCab 4x4 351/C6 285 BFG AT 4.56 & LockRite rear

George_H
Explorer
Explorer
I prefer all 4, if that is not doable then put 2 new on the front, move fronts to inside duals and oldest tires to outside dual. What about your spare? It might allow you to buy only 1 tire, age and wear conditions right.
George, Juanita and Mandie (boss Shar-Pei)
01 F350, PSD, DRW
05 Carri-Lite 32RS3

TakingThe5th
Explorer
Explorer
I like to put my new tires on the front and my oldest tires on the outside duals. In your case it might be helpful to also think about the spare tire as you ponder buying either 1 or 2 tires.
TakingThe5th - Chicago, Western Suburbs
'05 Ford F350 Crew 6.0 DRW Bulletproofed. Pullrite Super 5th 18K 2100 hitch.
'13 Keystone Cougar 333MKS, Maxxfan 7500, Progressive EMS-HW50C, Grey Water System.

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
I'd just go with the new one on the outside, so long as the other tires are in good shape.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE