Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

DRW and engine opinions

gbw
Explorer
Explorer
Hello,

I currently have a 2003 Ram 3/4T CTD. I have supersprings and 3750# tires. It handles the load decently but now with kid #2 around, I find we're hauling more stuff (stroller, pack-n-play, bikes, sand toys, etc) I'd eventually like to get a boat down the road.

Thing is, my Bigfoot is a SB model. Also, my truck is in tip top shape. I replaced everything on the front end and have been meticulous in its maintenance. Very low hours and only 260,000KMS. With the 2nd kid, we had to get a SUV which now does all of our regular, non-camping driving and the truck only gets used about 10,000Km per year, exclusively with the camper in the warmer months.

I've stumbled upon a 2006 DRW Ram with a 6 speed and Hemi ($10,000 CAD, or $37 US). Will I hate life with the older 5.7 Hemi and a camper? plus potentially a boat in a few years? Mileage is a modest 140,000Kms. I also realize there will be a 16-18" gap between the cab but that can be used for chainsaw, genny, several kids toys. I completely expect to be going slower, shifting more compared to the cummins but with kids, our time lines vary greatly anyways!

I've tossed up a Megacab DRW but they're just out of my price range right now. If I stay with the Dodge/Ram, I can transfer my camper tie downs & superhitch.

Let me know your thoughts.
Roamers of the back woods

2006 Ram Megacab SRW. 19.5" Visions
2010 Eagle Cap 850 - current
2005 2500 9.4 Bigfoot - sold
2000 Hawk Four Wheel Camper - sold
17 REPLIES 17

burningman
Explorer
Explorer
gbw wrote:
I could always bump up to 19.5's and suffer with the unloaded ride.

Or put on a Kelderman air ride kit. I love mine, my quad cab dually rides like a car!
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

usmcshepherd
Explorer
Explorer
Agree with waiting and getting a TD DRW when you are ready vice conversion or gaser. I was with a friend this weekend hauling a realatively light 5er and his rig kept overheating on even the smaller hills around Colorado. If you are going to be in any kind of elevation you'll be much happier with a TD! I am always amazed the way we fly up these steep mountain passes around Colorado...the truck acts like its running empty! The other positive I didn't see mentioned was the exhaust brake you have on the diesels now...again in mountainous country that makes a world of difference coming down those 10k+ summits!
2011 Ram 3500 / 2013 Lance 1172
Semper Fi
MGySgt/USMC

Reddog1
Explorer
Explorer
I think you are going the right direction.

Wayne

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke

gbw
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the responses. Jefe reassured me to stick with what I have. I just stumbled upon the gasser dually and my mind got swirling about potential options.

I guess I do have my truck pretty dialed in. New tires this year too. I think you guys are right, and I should think about a cargo trailer, and I can even offset some weight from the camper into the trailer (camp chairs, water jug, BBQ which would normally be in the camper).

I also think that the gap would look funny. I wonder how noisy it would be?

I would have to baseline the truck again. I know when all my fluids have been done, need doing, when front end parts are due to break again, ball joints. I suppose as an extreme, I could always bump up to 19.5's and suffer with the unloaded ride.

It is indeed a Quad cab. The kids stuff into the back just fine. It'll be fine for many more years, they're just 2.5 and 0.25 years old. They won't help make truck payments, so they'll have to live with the smaller back seat.

I was thinking boat for when they're in the 6 & 4 range, so maybe by then, megacabs will be cheaper.

Upon more research, I am a little leary of the conversion kits, the spacer kits. Seems to be mixed results. If I were to do anything, it would be a full axle swap. Again, in the quick research I did, everything is the same on Gen3 rams. Rear brakes are the same, axle housings etc. It would be rather straight forward. By then my truck would be 18 years old and not worth much anyways! Who cares about resale!!

jefe_4x4
Explorer
Explorer
Geoff,
The short answer is "it's always better to keep what you have and make do with added appurtenances." (a Quebec-ian term)
2003 was a good year for the CTD, if underpowered compared to the present offerings. If you have a quad cab you can make do with what you have with 2 small ninos. AFA taking more stuff along, why not consider a small enclosed trailer for the kiddie goods? What i did not like was the big space that would appear when putting, i'm assuming, a short bed TC on a long bed truck. The center of gravity would be not good. 3750 load rated tires are plenty good enough for your purposes. If you want a wider rr footprint you could, like I did, go with 12" wide wheels and 14.50 wide super singles. I added some Jeep TJ, 7" fender lips on the rear axle.
My vote would be to keep what you have and make it work.
jefe
'01.5 Dodge 2500 4x4, CTD, Qcab, SB, NV5600, 241HD, 4.10's, Dana 70/TruTrac; Dana 80/ TruTrac, Spintec hub conversion, H.D. susp, 315/75R16's on 7.5" and 10" wide steel wheels, Vulcan big line, Warn M15K winch '98 Lance Lite 165s, 8' 6" X-cab, 200w Solar

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
The conversions aren't that great of an idea. Besides the cost, the axles and brakes aren't the same, and just adding two more wheels doesn't give you the option of adding other improvements by going with a new truck. It would be far easier to trade.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

Reddog1
Explorer
Explorer
boogie_4wheel wrote:
I'd keep the Dodge you've got, and go DRW conversion.

Get the front hub adapters. The DRW axle is a little wider for tire/frame/wheel well clearance, so you would need to run wheel spacers (sucks cuz you are doing this for weight carrying), or swap for a used axle.
Then you need rear fenders, about 500 to 600 each (new), or a duely bed at 1200 to 1800 (used) or a flatbed steel about 500 to 1000 or aluminum at 2400 plus. Add to that the cost of 6 wheels and front adapters.

Difficult to come out doing the conversion.

Wayne

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke

Vinsil
Explorer
Explorer
pcoplin wrote:
I really think it depends on what performance you prefer. I'm a gear head, and modify most every vehicle I've ever owned.

I have a 7.3 Ford tuned as high as the stock injectors will go. It's okay, but it doesn't compete with a newer truck, stock or tuned. I couldn't deal with a gas engine.

But I also have a 5.9 Dodge V8 in my Jeep Wrangler...

Agreed. Having owned a bunch of gas powered trucks, then a tuned 7.3 powerstroke, 2 5.9 Cummins that were tuned and now a tuned 6.7 Cummins....I would not own another gas rig. Will it do it? Sure. Will you love it? Nope. Even if your truck is stock your spoiled with power....tune it, think about the poster who mentioned a DW conversion and be happy.
2017 Ford F-350, crewcab, 4x4, 6.7 diesel.
2016 Thunderjet Luxor 21' limited edition, Yamaha powered.
2016 Wolf Creek 840-SOLD, Arctic Fox 990 ordered.

boogie_4wheel
Explorer
Explorer
I'd keep the Dodge you've got, and go DRW conversion.

Get the front hub adapters. The DRW axle is a little wider for tire/frame/wheel well clearance, so you would need to run wheel spacers (sucks cuz you are doing this for weight carrying), or swap for a used axle.
2005 2500 Cummins/48RE/3.73, QCLB, 4wd, BigHorn, Edge Juice w/ CTS + Turbo Timer,Transgo Shift Kit ISSPro Oil and LP pressure gauges, GDP 20/2 filters, Custom Diesel Steering Box Brace
'10 Forest River Shockwave Toy Hauler 21'
Honda EU3000I Genny

pcoplin
Explorer
Explorer
I really think it depends on what performance you prefer. I'm a gear head, and modify most every vehicle I've ever owned.

I have a 7.3 Ford tuned as high as the stock injectors will go. It's okay, but it doesn't compete with a newer truck, stock or tuned. I couldn't deal with a gas engine.

But I also have a 5.9 Dodge V8 in my Jeep Wrangler...
2005 F350 CCLB Dually 6.0/5R110
2009 Adventurer 950B

gbw
Explorer
Explorer
Super_Dave wrote:
pcoplin wrote:
If you had the diesel, you will likely be wanting more. The 5.9 far surpasses what a small block gasser can do.

And is that $37,000 for a 2006 with a gas motor? You can do way better down here buying a diesel I think.

Think it is either a typo or he got the exchange rate wrong.

Neither, just making a joke of our "strong" Canadian dollar. $10k CAD = $37 US.

I've got some thinking to do based on some answers here. Much appreciated.

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
pcoplin wrote:
If you had the diesel, you will likely be wanting more. The 5.9 far surpasses what a small block gasser can do.

And is that $37,000 for a 2006 with a gas motor? You can do way better down here buying a diesel I think.

Think it is either a typo or he got the exchange rate wrong.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

pcoplin
Explorer
Explorer

2005 F350 CCLB Dually 6.0/5R110
2009 Adventurer 950B

GpnAZ
Explorer
Explorer
My experience started with a Ram Power Wagon with the 5.7, did fine with my camper and flat towing my TJ on the flats and rolling hills, but I hated driving it on the mountain passes towing the TJ. The only reason I got the diesel was so I could tow my TJ behind the camper and not worry about what kind of hill was coming. The 5.7 did fine except the one combination of camper/TJ/mountain pass.
2018' RAM 3500 Laramie CC, DRW, 4X4, Cummins w/ Aisin transmission
2019' Host Mammoth, 480 watts of solar
2017' Jeep JKU Rubicon
2011' Airstream Avenue
http://www.flickr.com/photos/gpnusa
www.flickr.com/photos/gpnaz
www.flickr.com/photos/his_cross