cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dual Axle Leveling Question

Tiggs
Explorer
Explorer
The space between the TT tires will accommodate one leveling block but if the side to side difference is more extreme I can't place two side by side with a third on top to build a ramp to level both wheels. Trying to roll up on two stacked on top of each other just pushes the block forward. I was thinking of having a 1x8 board cut to length and somehow attaching at least one leveling block (and maybe a half of one) to it to keep it from slipping off... don't know if this would work, not sure how to attach it firmly without risking a tire puncture should it fail so I'm hoping some of you have already found a creative fix and you'll be kind enough to share.
Carolyn

2011 Funfinder X210-WBS
2013 Chevy Express 3500 - 6.0L V8, 6 speed trans.
Wolfhounds Duan, Vonnie, Cadhla, Sebastian and wee puppy MoonPie
And not to be forgotten, litte red terrier, Ozzy, the dog "Down Under"
23 REPLIES 23

wmoses
Explorer
Explorer
What a diplomant you are. ๐Ÿ™‚

You will figure it out I am sure.
Regards,
Wayne
2014 Flagstaff Super Lite 27RLWS Emerald Ed. | Equal-i-zer 1200/12,000 4-point WDH
2010 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3L 6-speed auto | K&N Filter | Hypertech Max Energy tune | Prodigy P3
_

Tiggs
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all of you for sharing the tips and tricks that work best for you. Hopefully I can come up with something from them that will work great for me.
Carolyn

2011 Funfinder X210-WBS

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I use 2X6's cut 45-degrees on each end. The length is such that I can stack 3 of them between the wheels, pyramid style.
To keep them from kicking out I drilled a 1/2" hole in the center and spike them into the ground.
Here's a pic of them under the rear wheel after I pulled up on them:

http://s1114.photobucket.com/user/starmaster1953/media/Camping/100_1236.jpg.html?sort=3&o=2
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

Tiggs
Explorer
Explorer
I am rarely in campgrounds, mostly dog show sites, parks and fairground locations. My favorite ones allot an area of grass which is great for the dogs and I can set up my xpens under the awning. The down side is that I'm dealing with dips, swales and slopes. At Purina Farms last weekend, I had a big area to myself in their overflow RV area. Rather than back into the spot as would have been customary, I wanted the TT pointed into the forecasted bad weather so I had to finagle the one side up 3 blocks, the best I could do and it still wasn't quite level. TT was rock solid during the storms (though we did have a 20+ minute downpour of pea sized hail that neither I, nor the dogs appreciated).
Carolyn

2011 Funfinder X210-WBS

thomasmnile
Explorer
Explorer
I use 3 2x8's cut to 60, 65,& 70" long. Drilled holes in each end and fashioned rope handles. A bit heavy, but have the ability to raise low side of trailer nearly 3" if necessary and they ride in the truck bed when not in use, and more importantly (to me) the my Chinese tires are fully supported by the board. Last week was the first time I actually needed two of the boards to level the trailer.

Not auto leveling, but pretty quick and easy for me.

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
Tiggs wrote:
I tried that, Gary, and sometimes those durn blocks just don't want to stay put for me.

GranpaKip, outside to outside as in front to back or side to side?

Front to back.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

Tiggs
Explorer
Explorer
It seems I might not have been approaching my problem properly with the legos. The Anderson's look lovely but for two, a bit pricey just to save me some grief. I'm going to try some of these other suggestions first, also looking into cutting a few strips of horse mat to put down first. Going to groove the mats to keep the legos from slipping I do like the Anderson levelers though. Maybe Santa will bring them some year.

Mike, your leveling bags look awesome but also way-way-way beyond my skill set. I can do lots of things, very few with great accuracy, let alone precision and I'm not lucky with complex devices as things tend to go "wrong" in the making. The black cloud over my head flashes a neon sign that reads "Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong". To make my point, last week at this time I was on my way to St. Louis. The outing allowed me time to stop and visit a friend who just had a baby. I got my TT and Van stuck in their long, steep, "V" shaped gravel driveway in the dark of night. My one ton van and 20' TT made it down the steep slope and 3/4 of the way up the other side before I lost traction. I had plenty of umpf but the wheels kept breaking loose so at 11 PM, we're hooking the whole rig up to his 4x4 dually to pull it up the rest of the way. We wisely hooked the TT up to his dually the next morning to take it off his property and I re-hitched in the lane at the end of his drive. -- Last year someone threw a cigarette butt out their window, and it got sucked up into my 2002 Dodge engine compartment and got thrown up into carpet on the outside of the dog box and set it to smoldering. Lucky for us, I still had root beer and after yanking the dog box out along the side of the road, I poured it on the carpet and put out the mess. Yes, I do have a black cloud (and never every travel anymore without root beer ๐Ÿ˜‰

(Oh, and my dogs aren't small. Adult males are around 185, the girls down around 140 so If I'm taking a few to a dog show, I've got some hefty passengers ๐Ÿ˜‰
Carolyn

2011 Funfinder X210-WBS

OkSixpack
Explorer
Explorer
Tiggs wrote:
Thanks for the response. I was just reading the reviews on Amazon and they are, for the most part, favorable. I tend to camp by myself (with at least 400 pounds of dog) so leveling side to side means I back up, get out, check for level or that the blocks didn't slip off one or both tires, fiddle around trying to get them to stay and then try again. It is my least favorite parts about setting up camp and as smart as the hounds are, they've not figured out I need them to give a yelp when the air bubble is in the center.

Has nothing to do with leveling,but I sure hope there is more than one dog!:B
Jim

mike_mn
Explorer
Explorer
I have been using leveling air bags I made 6 years ago. Most people worry about them causing sway, but since they are made from basically the same construction technique as tires(multi ply with belting), it is just like putting another tire under your tires. With your stabs properly set, there is no sway.

Haven't posted for some quite some time, but the air bag build thread in in my signature.
07 GMC Yukon XL 2500 6.0L 4:10-P3-Reese Dual Cam 1200
15 Puma 30DBSS
Me,Wife,02F,04M,06F,08M,10F.
My Leveling Air Bags Build Thread
My Tool-less Binder Chock Build Thread

Crazy_2
Explorer
Explorer
mbutts wrote:
I'm replacing my collection of Lego block-style levelers with these:

Anderson Levelers

I'll post a review after I give 'em a try.

Now thats cool
Defiantly getting a pair of those
2018 GMC Sierra 2500 HD 6.0L
Grand Design Reflection 297RSDS 8200 Ish LBS dry,
Reece Dual Cam WDH

"If your dog is overweight, odds are you need more exercise"

Nomadac
Explorer
Explorer
I used to carry a 2x10 the length of the dual wheels (5-6') and blocks to build a ramp (pcs. of 4x4 and some 2x4)then I would usually back up to raise that side till it was level and then block the wheels. I had a level on the front road side of my trailer so I could see when it was level. Worked great and inexpensive.
Arnie
2003 Travel Supreme MH
38KSO1 Cummins ISC 350HP
2004 Honda Pilot w/SMI Air Force One Brake Sys.
1963 Pontiac Grand Prix 20' Enclosed Car Trailer

mosseater
Explorer
Explorer
Those are cool! Only question now is who wants to buy a set of Lynx blocks?
"It`s not important that you know all the answers, it`s only important to know where to get all the answers" Arone Kleamyck
"...An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." Col. Jeff Cooper
Sunset Creek 298 BH

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
Two go up two blocks I use all 10 levelers in the pack. I park the trailer where I want it. I then set a block next to each wheel as a marker right where it would sit if it was under a tire. Then I pull the trailer forward and build a long row of single blocks. I top this row with the second row and use my marker blocks on the second row. Then I just back the unit up onto the long strand of blocks.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
The Anderson system is the coolest thing I've seen in levelers since the the 2X.
I'll be ordering a set very soon.