cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dual propane tank switchover valve question

lpaulcarter
Explorer
Explorer
My 2002 Adventurer camper has a propane regulator which does not feature a selector to choose which of the 2 tanks to draw fuel from. Is this a totally manual, non-switching system? ie: open 1 tank's shut-off valve for fuel and when that tank is empty, close it's valve and open the 2nd tank's shut-off valve...

Second question: when one tank is empty can I disconnect it from the regulator while the other tank is open and supplying fuel?
Paul
2005 GMC 2500HD 4x4 (Duramax/Allison)
2859 Bayliner Ciera Classic on a tandem axle Tuff Trailer
2002 Adventurer 810WS TC
24 REPLIES 24

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II

lpaulcarter
Explorer
Explorer
It's a simple T, no check valves. I had to turn the appliances off and close the other tank's valve to stop it from emptying into the atmosphere. Definitely going to at least replace the T with a manual tank selector. Thanks for all the input!

Paul
Paul
2002 Adventurer 810WS TC

lpaulcarter
Explorer
Explorer
Inlet/outlet...my bad, you're right of course. And thanks for putting my pic up, I couldn't come up with a better way. I'll find out today if my tank lines have a shut-off feature as one tank is going for a fill.

Unless I have to shut off both tanks to allow me to remove one I think I'll stick to the manual method...
Paul
2002 Adventurer 810WS TC

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad
Only 'cause the image wasn't showing for me, taking liberty to repost O/Ps linked pinterest picture of his valve.

Without a selector, unless there is something in that tiny tee (looks like standard flare tee) cant imagine how it would/could auto switch between 2 tanks or flow not be from both tanks if valves open. So I'd consider manual.
As to removing 1 tank, being threaded into an open tee, appears to me it would be dependent on the hoses as mentioned earlier. What you have labeled 'inlet' would be regulators 'outlet'.
Curious on an '02 with 2 tanks that it doesn't have auto changeover.
01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page http://www.ourelkhorn.itgo.com

lpaulcarter
Explorer
Explorer
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1czN3EK2ww0yy-wDSYeuHT61yLTX7nNzh/view?usp=drivesdk
Paul
2002 Adventurer 810WS TC

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
burningman wrote:
You can empty two propane tanks overnight if they aren’t full to begin with... they all run out some time.
Proper use of the truck camper entails driving it AWAY from where it’s snowing at 3 AM... but that’s just my warped opinion lol.

When I agree that driving away from extreme weather is the best use for TC (we drove away from 124F last summer), but proper use of switchover valve will never have 2 cylinders partly empty.
You choose what cylinder you want do draw from to start, when it goes empty the indicator turns red, what means the propane is taken from cylinder #2.
You take empty cylinder for refill, put it in and turn the switchover to cylinder #2, what will change the indicator to green.
Don't think this is rocket science.
BTW my Fleetwood has dual 7.5 gallons propane cylinders with float gauges on them. When the gauge will not show you last 1/2 gallon at the bottom, it will give you pretty good idea how much you have.
For those who have 5 gallon cylinders - Costco is selling the size with a gauge for about $30.

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
That is when hunting is at it best,when it freezes hard and snows alot and a TC is the best tool over the other RV's to get out of where your at, after it snows a ton.

As for propane running out..Been there done that in my early RV years and is why I always have more than enough propane with me and I watch my turnover valve daily unless ofcourse,I have one of my much larger tanks with me....The manual change over is a must for me and if I bought one without the nob,I would change it out.There inexpensive.

Here is my old 2WD with Lance off the truck while hunting, that everyone says is useless in snow and ice..No need to skidattle when it snows with your truck camper..

Couldn't help the jab to those that doubt a 2WD in the snow..(laughing)
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

burningman
Explorer
Explorer
You can empty two propane tanks overnight if they aren’t full to begin with... they all run out some time.
Proper use of the truck camper entails driving it AWAY from where it’s snowing at 3 AM... but that’s just my warped opinion lol.
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
I guess most people don't have issues for cold weather use..Hunting season is murder on propane use especially in those little 5 gallon bottles most Truck campers have..Lucky to get three days out of one and you don't really have any idea how much is in one unless you pull one out and put some hot water over it.The gauges suck..That's why I have two 100# tanks plus a 10 gallon I take with the TC...

At 3 am with it snowing out is not the best time for me to be changing over manually propane tanks,then I have to light the pilots again for the stove and refer and solo heater,in my case..Wait 15 for the catalytic to get in gear and turn it down..Laffin..

Naw,the auto change over is gold when it's very cold out...

My days of spending the morning on my hands and knee's with a hair dryer thawing out pipes is over.
Lance 9.6
500ah Lifep04

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
burningman wrote:
The thing is, if your propane runs out at 3 AM in the snow (and how often does that really happen) you can go turn on your second tank.
If it switches automatically it’s a whole lot easier to get caught at 3 AM in the snow with both tanks empty. ...

Only when you neglect checking the red indicator thru the day.
There is no way you can get 2 cylinders empty in 1 night.

burningman
Explorer
Explorer
The thing is, if your propane runs out at 3 AM in the snow (and how often does that really happen) you can go turn on your second tank.
If it switches automatically it’s a whole lot easier to get caught at 3 AM in the snow with both tanks empty.
That scenario doesn’t include the part where you return to bed all nice and warm again.
If you want it automatic, you still don’t need that switch.
You can just open both valves. Same deal, remember to watch the gauges or else.
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer

I agree with Fpoole, I’d rather not have the tanks switch over automatically, I want to know for sure when I’ve used up my first tank and am operating on my last one

Because it seems one propane tank always runs out at the most un-opportune times like in the middle of the freezing night,for example.

Then you do not have to restart all your propane appliances and smell the propane as they run/flicker out.

Same thing though,you have to go outside to check it once and a while..
Lance 9.6
500ah Lifep04

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
The point of automatic switchover valve is that it will show red, when indicated cylinder runs empty, but you still have propane from other cylinder.
Murphy laws says that when propane runs empty, it has to be 3 or 4 AM. Not a good time to get up and go outside in freezing temperatures.

bwc
Explorer
Explorer
burningman wrote:
I don’t see the point of having a switch, you’ve got shutoff valves right there on the tanks. What are you accomplishing by adding a switch 8 inches away?
I agree with Fpoole, I’d rather not have the tanks switch over automatically, I want to know for sure when I’ve used up my first tank and am operating on my last one.
Sure you have to go outside and turn a valve... but if you’re never gonna go outside it’s easiwr to just stay home!!

Well said, agree 100%.
2003 Dodge Laramie SLT 3500 dually diesel 4x2 auto and 2009 Northstar 9.5 Igloo U. Love this combo. Very fuel efficient, lots of room, easy to park and set up.