cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Duramax, warm up time

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
I'm considering a 2015 Duramax that a friend is selling that is pristine and well maintained. He drives a lot, it already has 115,000 miles on it.

I on the other hand have a short commute only 6 miles each way. I keep reading that short runs are rough on the new diesels because they don't get up to temp. Would my short commute be to short to warm it up good?

I live south of Atlanta, so in the winter, it's not like it will be really cold in the mornings. Not sure if that really matters.
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up
25 REPLIES 25

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
ktmrfs wrote:

I'll agree in general with the no more than 30 seconds warmup. Under reasonable weather. However at least some of the newer diesels WILL warm up when cold with a short idle time. My 2015 duramax with temps near 10F will start nice hot air to the cabin in 5 minutes from a cold start while idling. How?? well, one they bump the idle speed to around 1000rpm, second they run the turbo vanes to maximum backpressure. now the engine isn't just a air pump, it is actually needing to do some work. So, normally get in start and drive. when below about 20F I hit the remote start, let it run the 5 minutes or so it will do with the remote start, then get in and go. Oh, BTW GM is nice enough to also have the heated seats on while it is under remote start.

Wonderfull.

You'll get nice warm air in 5 minutes if you take off after starting also. Probably sooner since the load under way with moderate acceleration is still likely far more than the jury rig system the manufacturer uses to force the engine temps up... plus you are actually making headway towards your destination.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
wowens79 wrote:
OP here, The DPF is my concern, but I do pull the boat to the lake, or take the camper out at least once a month, and we run to ATL, or Birmingham regularly, so I do get on the highway.

About how often do they want to Regen? I've read it's determined by soot particles, but does that equate to 500-600 miles? 2000 miles?

I drive about 15000 miles a year.

No engine (gas or diesel) likes short runs but as long as it gets an occasional run long enough to get to full operating temp, it's not a big issue.

If you are taking the camper out once a month and doing a couple runs per month to Atlanta/Birmingham, that will satisfy the need to get it up to temp and regen.

As far as warm up when you start, anything more than 30 seconds is a waste. Diesel engines take so little fuel to idle that they will never warm up in the driveway. Best to get on the road and not stomp on the throttle for the first 5 minutes of driving. FYI: This is what the manufacturers recommend).

I'll agree in general with the no more than 30 seconds warmup. Under reasonable weather. However at least some of the newer diesels WILL warm up when cold with a short idle time. My 2015 duramax with temps near 10F will start nice hot air to the cabin in 5 minutes from a cold start while idling. How?? well, one they bump the idle speed to around 1000rpm, second they run the turbo vanes to maximum backpressure. now the engine isn't just a air pump, it is actually needing to do some work. So, normally get in start and drive. when below about 20F I hit the remote start, let it run the 5 minutes or so it will do with the remote start, then get in and go. Oh, BTW GM is nice enough to also have the heated seats on while it is under remote start.

Wonderfull.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
wowens79 wrote:
OP here, The DPF is my concern, but I do pull the boat to the lake, or take the camper out at least once a month, and we run to ATL, or Birmingham regularly, so I do get on the highway.

About how often do they want to Regen? I've read it's determined by soot particles, but does that equate to 500-600 miles? 2000 miles?

No engine (gas or diesel) likes short runs but as long as it gets an occasional run long enough to get to full operating temp, it's not a big issue.

If you are taking the camper out once a month and doing a couple runs per month to Atlanta/Birmingham, that will satisfy the need to get it up to temp and regen.

As far as warm up when you start, anything more than 30 seconds is a waste. Diesel engines take so little fuel to idle that they will never warm up in the driveway. Best to get on the road and not stomp on the throttle for the first 5 minutes of driving. FYI: This is what the manufacturers recommend).
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
Short drives are hard on any vehicle, gas or diesel. But probably harder on a diesel. The only vehicles really well suited for short daily commutes are electric.

sayoung
Explorer
Explorer
My 2012 DMAX was used daily for the long 1 1/2 mile trip to the office & back. I found that I was always going somewhere else most days so put some 20/30 mile trips on it at hwy speeds. I used my remote start most days to either cool or heat when needed.
Retired now.

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
wowens79 wrote:
I'm considering a 2015 Duramax that a friend is selling that is pristine and well maintained. He drives a lot, it already has 115,000 miles on it.

I on the other hand have a short commute only 6 miles each way. I keep reading that short runs are rough on the new diesels because they don't get up to temp. Would my short commute be to short to warm it up good?

I live south of Atlanta, so in the winter, it's not like it will be really cold in the mornings. Not sure if that really matters.

I have a 2012 6.7 Power Stroke and have a ~8 mile commute. No fuel dilution problems, no emissions problems, no DEF problem. My truck has 128k miles and not a single issue to date.

Having said that these trucks do require some highway miles from time to time.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
This from the Duramax owner's manual, Page 1-3:

Special DPF Driver Messages
If the vehicle is used for numerous short trips or extended slow-speed operation, the engine computer may not be able to adequately heat up the exhaust system to clean the DPF effectively. The engine computer has been designed to continuously monitor the condition of the DPF. When the engine computer detects that the DPF is nearly full of particulates and that the vehicle is not being operated in a manner that would allow effective automatic DPF cleaning, the Driver In Brief Information Center will display the message CLEANING EXHAUST FILTER KEEP DRIVING UNTIL MESSAGE IS CLEARED.If the vehicle continues to be driven in a manner that prevents effective DPF cleaning, the DPF will become plugged with particulates. If this occurs, the engine computer will turn on the service engine soon light in the instrument cluster and the DIC will display the message ENGINE POWER IS REDUCED.See Diesel Particulate Filter on page 9-11 and Engine Power Messages on page 5-11

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/801892/Chevrolet-Gmc-2014-Duramax.html?page=7#manual

This from the Duramax User's Manual Page 1-1:

Initial Drive Information Transmission Cold Operation
When temperatures are very cold,the transmission will prevent certain operations to protect against damage. The information below shows shift range availability based on transmission oil temperature:All shift ranges available at 25ยฐC ( 13ยฐF) or above.2 (Second) and 3 (Third) shift ranges only at 35ยฐC ( 31ยฐF) to 25ยฐC ( 13ยฐF).2 (Second) shift range only at 35ยฐC ( 31ยฐF) or lower.Torque converter clutch operation will also be prevented when air or transmission oil temperatures are below certain levels.In Brief For areas where ambient temperatures are below 40ยฐC( 40ยฐF), use synthetic transmission fluid approved to AllisonยฎTransmission specification TES-295. See Recommended Fluids and Lubricants on page 11-10 and Automatic Transmission Fluid on page 10-10.

FYI, I very seldom "warm up" my duly. If I do, it's to warm the cab in the coldest of weather so I won't freeze to pieces driving.

I've never experienced any issues with DPF. Quite frankly, I absolutely cannot tell when the DPF is cleaning itself.

wq93
Explorer
Explorer
With the highway driving you describe added to the mix the DPF shouldn't be a problem for you. Regen frequency is totally dependent upon soot loading and your driving conditions will determine the miles between regens. People doing a large amount of stop and go driving, especially with fairly hard acceleration on starts, often report regen events between 200 and 250 miles while under optimal conditions (the sweet spot while towing where exhaust heat is high enough that some soot reduction will occur at times between regens) you can go over 700 miles.

If you think of the older diesels and the conditions that caused visible "smoke" that is what you want to avoid when possible because the DPF is now capturing what used to go out the exhaust and that is what loads it more quickly. Diesels are always producing some particulate matter but some conditions greatly increase the level and will result in more frequent regens.

Several European nations have been looking seriously at particulate matter from the current crop of direct injected gas engines which do produce and emit quite a bit of particulate matter. It is likely that a GPF (gas particulate filter) may be in the future of future gas engines unless the electric era arrives prior to more regulations. The chrome exhausts on my Cadillac and Corvette require regular cleaning to remove the particulate buildup, it isn't nearly at the level of older diesels but it is readily apparent.

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
OP, all trucks tend to regen at different intervals. On average once per tank but some are twice per tank. Again recommend picking up a Edge CTS monitor for newer diesels. They are very handy and can even read/clear codes, check injector balance rates and most importantly monitor regen cycles.
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
wq93 wrote:
Some of us "armchair automotive engineers" own and operate DPF equipped diesels so we have lived with their requirements.

Exactly... Spot on
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

transferred
Explorer
Explorer
wowens79 wrote:

My plan/thought/debate on this truck is as follows. I've got a 8000lb TT, still in gasser range, but in the mountains of N GA, and NC, the power would be nice. Currently I have a 2002 Chevy 1500HD that I bought new, and now has 209,000 miles. I was thinking of passing it to my 14 year old in 18 months when he is 16, and buying something new then. My buddy has the Duramax, and he travels the southeast for work, and has put 115k on it in 3 years. He is anal about his vehicles, and it is spotless, and has had all the maintenance done on it. He will sell it to me for what they offer him on trade.

I'm thinking with the low miles I put on it, I can drive it for 8-10 years, and only be at 200-250k miles. At that point both of my kids will be out of college and the house. At that point we can buy a Class A, and a Jeep as a toad ๐Ÿ™‚

The truck will do just great for your intended purpose. Just take it out on the highway for a half hour a couple times per month. The new DEF equipped rigs do really well and I have to hand to to GM their Duramax has done great with emissions- I had an 09 LMM and no issues at all.

Enjoy the truck and don't overthink the emissions stuff.
05 Ram 3500 SRW QCSB Laramie 4x4 Cummins, 610lbs, 23k GC, 9.9k GV
(totaled) 16 Ram 3500 SRW RCLB SLT 4X4 Cummins Aisin, 900lbs, 25.3k GC, 11.5k GV
06 F550 4x4 PSD, 570lbs, 33k GC, 19.5k GV

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III

My plan/thought/debate on this truck is as follows. I've got a 8000lb TT, still in gasser range, but in the mountains of N GA, and NC, the power would be nice. Currently I have a 2002 Chevy 1500HD that I bought new, and now has 209,000 miles. I was thinking of passing it to my 14 year old in 18 months when he is 16, and buying something new then. My buddy has the Duramax, and he travels the southeast for work, and has put 115k on it in 3 years. He is anal about his vehicles, and it is spotless, and has had all the maintenance done on it. He will sell it to me for what they offer him on trade.

I'm thinking with the low miles I put on it, I can drive it for 8-10 years, and only be at 200-250k miles. At that point both of my kids will be out of college and the house. At that point we can buy a Class A, and a Jeep as a toad ๐Ÿ™‚
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

wq93
Explorer
Explorer
Some of us "armchair automotive engineers" own and operate DPF equipped diesels so we have lived with their requirements. But you can also refer to the supplemental manual GM includes with diesel equipped vehicles which explains the DPF and its behavior. If used primarily in stop/go short commutes you are going to have to plan on going for some extended drives when it tells you to do so and if you don't the filter loading will quickly reach the point where the next step is limp mode and a visit to the dealer where a forced regen will be required.

It is something a potential new owner needs to be aware of to see whether this operation fits with his planned usage. The owner can't choose when to periodically drive it for the extended time because that is determined by soot loading.

For most people the DPF won't be a major issue but if the OP isn't planning upon significant operation outside of his short commute he will have to plan on letting the engine controller decide his driving plans at times.

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
It is interesting reading what these armchair automotive engineers post what they think is the right answer. However, I bet nowhere in the owner's manual does it say not to drive it for only a 6 mile commute. I bet it does say to periodically drive it 30 plus miles. To the OP: if you like that truck, believe the price is fair, and know the maintenance has been good, there is no reason not to buy the truck based on your driving patterns.