cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Eagle cap 950 on SBCC ford f250

nick11
Explorer
Explorer
I am selling my 5th wheel and getting another TC. I have an 05 ford SB. I have been looking at the Host 8.5, Lance 861 and the Eagle Cap 950. I know the EC is made for a LB truck but it is 550lbs lighter than the Lance. Is there anyone with a 9.5 on a SB? My bed is 6'8" so it will stick out less than an 11.5 will on a LB. I know it is not ideal but with4 people in the TC an extra foot will help. All advice will be appreciated.
9 REPLIES 9

U_F_O_
Explorer
Explorer
A 950 is 9ft 10 in inside 10ft 2in outside, you will be over weight on your tires Iam 7400lbs on my dually.
1997 F-350SC 7.3 dually Eagle Cap 950 Honda EU2000

SugarHillCTD
Explorer
Explorer
nick11 wrote:
My bed is 6'8" so it will stick out less than an 11.5 will on a LB. I know it is not ideal but with4 people in the TC an extra foot will help. All advice will be appreciated.

The difference isn't so much the amount sticking out the back on your 950/sb vs. 1150/lb comparison.

The long bed can handle the longer overhang because of the greater mass ahead of the axle.
John & Cathy
'12 Chevy 2500HD CC 4x4 sb
'16 Cougar 25RKS w/ Andersen rail mount
'13 Eagle Cap 850 (sold). B4 that a few other TCs and a TT

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
BeanMan wrote:
Nick,

I've got a EC 950 on a long bed F250. To make it work well I had to add a leaf to the main rear pack and one to the overloads. (Also stable loads and timbrens) I also had to put 19.5 wheels and tires on it to carry the weight safely. I wouldn't do it again if I were starting over, I would get a dually. What I'm trying to say is a 950 on a short bed F250 will make you an unhappy white knuckle driver.

What he said.
The 950 is well balanced for a one-ton long bed.
Anything else is buying unhappiness.
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
“The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats

Bedlam
I run a short bed model Arctic Fox. If it wasn't for the heavy towing I do behind it, the OEM camper package handles it well with taller overload spring bumpstops. Because of that additional tongue weight, I have upgraded the suspension and tires.

You really need a truck camper designed for a short bed so that weight distribution balance is over or forward of the rear axle to prevent handling issues.

See my profile for truck options and upgrades to get an idea what yours will need to haul 4000 lbs of camper and gear.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

sue_t
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2002 F-250 shortbox supercab 4x4 with an 8' Adventurer with a dry weight of 1,800 lbs.

Truck handles the camper well & easily despite being a few hundred pounds over the truck's GVWR.

The camper hangs over the end of the box about a foot and a half.
Centre of gravity is forward of the rear axle.

This is the maximum camper we'd go with this F-250.
sue t.
Pictures from our many RV Adventures to Yukon & Alaska from Vancouver Island. Now we live in Yukon!

mooring_product
Explorer
Explorer
My Lance 881 is 8'11" but its designed for a short bed truck. I had it on a F250 and it was a white knuckle ride. I have since gone to a SB Ram Dually.

Center of gravity is key on truck campers...

Does your 05 have the camper package?
Pete
2012 RAM 3500 Mega DRW. Stable Loads and Torklift tiedowns.
2006 Lance 881 Max.

Sparky87k5
Explorer
Explorer
I tried an EC850 long box version on my 04 F250 SB Supercab and although it worked for the short term it was far from ideal. Too heavy for the truck and decided to go with F350 LBCC DRW and much happier now. The 3/4 ton just isn't enough, even after I added airbags and heavier springs. The 950 would be worse.
2000 F350 Lariat LE V10 CC LB 4WD DRW
2005 Eagle Cap 850 Camper
1993 Robalo 2440 twin '07 Merc Optimax 150's
1978 Glasply 28' with twin 310hp V8's

BeanMan
Explorer
Explorer
Nick,

I've got a EC 950 on a long bed F250. To make it work well I had to add a leaf to the main rear pack and one to the overloads. (Also stable loads and timbrens) I also had to put 19.5 wheels and tires on it to carry the weight safely. I wouldn't do it again if I were starting over, I would get a dually. What I'm trying to say is a 950 on a short bed F250 will make you an unhappy white knuckle driver.

Dome
Explorer
Explorer
the 950 is 91/2 feet long and about 33 hundred pounds dry. sounds a bit big for a short box 250. center of gravity would be well behind the wheels, that can't be a good thing.