cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

EC 1160 &1165 and Host Mam & Everest AND Lance 1172

JTLance
Explorer
Explorer
I waited to see the Lance 1172 last due to price. I really wanted to end at the Lance hoping I could make do. That was a real big mistake!

Guys I went to two Dealers in Portland and saw everything I wanted to in ONE day.

My decision has started with a battle against the "need to have" double slide units.

EC1160 and the Lance 1172:

OMG, there is NO COMPARISON! The EC camper is twice the camper. I don't mean to denigrate the Lance, but no ****, it isn't even in the same league. I will try and stay fair and balanced, but I need to back up my recon for saying what I did.

EC1160 tanks were huge, storage was better, ergonomics were better, fit & finish were better, it felt regal, not cheap. BUT HEAVY!

Lance 1172 is plain and simple, a value product that clearly goes after a lower budget. No offense to Lance, but I can see what they've done. (Having owned 3 Lance Campers) I think their plan was to use CNC for everything and cut ANY labor costs to the bone. It is obvious when you see what they put out. If you have a tight budget, you can save $15,000 over EC or Host. BUT, if you were smart, they are all over the internet for $40,000 or so used EVERYWHERE and that unit may only be 1 year old! I can honestly see why people dump them so fast.....

I wanted to buy the Lance for a couple of reasons. I wanted Azdel (NO WOOD ROT if it got wet). Second, to keep the weight down. I figured I would simply move the stuff from the one Lance I have now, to the new one and get a couch in the back and be done. The problem was...a few really. There was such little space inside for stuff, I was so **** disappointed. Second, the couch was the biggest (NON 6" couch offered) one of all the three brands...albeit by 1', but it was still not a 6'. But the bummer was, it left a laughable TINY pullout 3 wire rack 5" tall box for food and one pathetic drawer! It was stupid and useless and clearly not really helpful. My wife found missing screws on a counter extension too. I lost her when she said it felt "cheap inside".

Now down to the good part...Host, plain and simple, they have their **** dialed in!

Mammoth was out due to the fact the dinette is on the wrong side, the couch was too short for a sleeping person above 9 years old, and it seemed like an old-folks layout.

We ended up falling in love with the Everest. As soon as one that is used pops up, I'm all over it.

Some major compelling reasons why we did not go with EC or Lance:

1. Both use the shitty schwintek slides...unpredictable and likely not a good long term experience. Having to open them fully every time is stupid and its obvious they break more and have a greater occurrence of catastrophic failures. Why even go down that road!

2. Host tanks were more of what we want for longer days away from an RV park and more dry camping. Lances 35,35,35 gets me and my two girls about 3-4 days MAX. Before we need more water and obviously a dump then too. We actually shower some too. Public showers are creepy and I'd rather the girls be safe and no have a comfortable eperience.

I figure the weight is the evil part. I feel like my p/u can carry the camper, but my boat may be too much. Its probably 2500 lbs at 3-400 lbs of tongue weight.

Truck is an 07 Duramax Classic 3500 lb dually. It comfortable carries my 4800lb Lance 1191 now.

Arctic Fox 990--SOLD
Palamino Bronco--SOLD
Lance 825---SOLD
Lance 1191

2007 Chevy Classic 3500 dually, Duramax, 4x4
Firestone air bags and Stable Loads
12 REPLIES 12

Bedlam
Eagle Cap uses Lamilux 4000 siding which is an unlisted option on Host:

https://www.amlrv.com/eagle-cap-truck-campers/eagle-cap-truck-camper-first-class-construction/

From previous reading it looks they are brand names and use of Lumilux or Azdel may actually be very similar. Here is an older thread discussing just this topic:

https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/27260536/

Host has completely changed the internal layout of the Cascade in recent years and made some some smaller changes to the Everest. Wood, upholstery and exterior graphics changed for the 2018 model year, but the styling really has not. I like the Cirrus and Northern Lite interior better and lean toward Danish Modern styling if given a choice - I figure more people will have to ask for a refresh and I am still in the minority.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
Itโ€™s not clear to me that EC is still using Azdel...

RetiredBeanCoun
Explorer
Explorer
I also looked at all three together and here is why I picked the 2020 Eagle Cap 1165.

โ€ข The cab-over bedroom is larger.
โ€ข The bathroom is actually a separate room, rather than an area you walk through to get to the bedroom, so the door stays closed.
โ€ข The toilet on the host was so high, my wife's feet dangled like a five year old.
โ€ข I prefer banquet seating for facing each other when eating or playing games
โ€ข The island creates what feels like a separate kitchen area, which the cook in the family likes.
โ€ข The theater recliners are so comfortable.
โ€ข Storage for clothes includes a mirrored closet in the bedroom and two large drawers and another closet outside the bedroom; in addition, the island provides a lot of kitchen storage.
โ€ข Eagle Cap looks more updated. Interior finishes and track lighting, along with the new grey exterior makes it feel like a 2020 camper. With Host, 2020 is no different than 2018, and very little difference from 2015.

Personally I have had no trouble with the slides. I put them out half way all the time for bathroom stops and when parking is tight, and have had no problems. Schwintek slides are slower, but quality feels fine.

The Host had more windows, but being inside mainly at night, this has not been the issue we thought it might be. The fireplace may have been nice,

With Lance 1172, I agree, not in the same ballpark.
2020 Eagle Cap 1165, 2019 F450 Regular Cab

Boatycall
Explorer
Explorer
If you're open to looking at used ones - I don't know what year they transitioned, but mine is a 2012 and does not use Schwintek mech's. I'm sure you could likely find a nice clean used one somewhere...

Some people are super anal when it comes to storing and maintaining(like me), and have garages built for thier TCs and they look literally as good as new...
'15 F450, 30k Superhitch, 48" Supertruss, 19.5's, Torklift Fast Guns
'12 Eagle Cap 1160, 800watts solar, Tristar MPPT, Magnum Hybrid 3k Inverter
'15 Wells Cargo 24' Race Trailer, 600 watts Solar, TriStar MPPT, Xantrex 2kw inverter
'17 Can Am X3 XDS Turbo

Bedlam
Both our Arctic Fox and Host had the oven delete and a convection microwave above the stove. The space bellow the stove top in the Arctic Fox was a big cabinet where we kept pots, pans, serving bowls and bulky plastic ware. In our Host, the space is divided into a silverware drawer and second deep drawer bellow it for those bulky things we carries before.

If you or your wife are shorter, I can see the advantage of having the microwave lower. If you are tall enough to reach the stock location, you get much more storage under the stove top than above it.

JTLance
Explorer
Explorer
The only things we want changed, seems like its what most people already change...

1. Micro over an installed oven
2. Micro where the oven should be (never see that)
3. Pantry on back side of tub (opposite of fridge)

Color is just a color
wood is whatever

We are not picky, after 32 years of marriage, what works will work.

I missed a 2018 for 42k, but lacked the add-on panty that is NOW standard. In hind sight, i bet Host would have just added one later for me...But we really weren't ready till we looked at everything yesterday! The Eagle Cap 1160 would only be a step down in that the couch was too small to use as a bed. Other than that, its weight was the same as the Host Everest....

I read an article about a 2013 EC 1160 that had delimitation issues due to EC using Luan in the base under the queen bed (leak was in ceiling). So, it may have saved his ceiling, but still had damage to above the cab...Azdel seemed over rated if the entire camper doesn't use it anyway....

mike_kellie
Explorer II
Explorer II
There was an acquaintance that became a friend while relating about our Mammoths that used to participate here. Bedlam would remember when he was looking at Host campers and this one had an optional (upgraded) exterior wall finish in lieu of the typical factory finish.
We visited Randall and toured the factory and I think the possibilities of options grows proportionally to the commitment.
2015 Host Mammoth triple slide w/ TorkLift Fastguns
2015 Ram 5500 SLT cab & chassis with Douglass 9' utility body

work2much
Explorer
Explorer
Bedlam wrote:
Host was much more accommodating for customization than Eagle Cap or Lance. You will pay more for the Host, but you will have the closest to your ideal camper rather having to accept preconfigured packages/options the way they are on the other brands. Buying a used one, you lose that level of granularity in configuration so you will have to accept the configuration at what ever discount you can negotiate.

Very true. Finding a used mammoth was a multi state search and we couldn't find a single unit that didn't have either a generator or a fireplace or both. Things we didn't want. That and the prices people were asking weren't much less than than the unit we wanted. In some cases more after working a discount with Toms in AZ. Don't forget that a new unit has a 1 year warranty and 3 years structural. Something worth considering. I'm don't think that's transferrable.

On the other hand the Host we ordered was exactly what we wanted including some custom options not shown on the website. The tour of the factory and talking nuts and bolts with Randall was valuable time spent. Ours was about 18% below the retail price, we came in at just under 50k. Not a bad discount considering the demand for these. Dealers know they will sell every unit they can get.
2022 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD DRW Crew 4x4 Aisin 4:10 Air ride.

2020 Grand Design Solitude 2930RL 2520 watts solar. 600ah lithium. Magnum 4000 watt inverter.

Bedlam
Host was much more accommodating for customization than Eagle Cap or Lance. You will pay more for the Host, but you will have the closest to your ideal camper rather having to accept preconfigured packages/options the way they are on the other brands. Buying a used one, you lose that level of granularity in configuration so you will have to accept the configuration at what ever discount you can negotiate.

JTLance
Explorer
Explorer
bighatnohorse wrote:
FYI: Azdel is used in the Eagle Cap since 2012
Can you say if it is used in Host construction?

I have yet to speak to Host about that.

BUT, Eagle Cap uses the same crappy Schwintec slides and mechanisms as Lance.

"TCM: Eagle Cap uses Schwintek slide mechanisms for all of its slide outs. Are Scheintek slide mechanisms continuing to perform well for Eagle Cap?

Greg: Schwintek is an ongoing challenge. "

I fear the slides more than the Azdel...... Just saying.

ALSO,

Eagle Cap won't eliminate the stupid oven and mount the Micro there...so you loose an additional shelf for a microwave, above the stove!

jmtandem
Explorer II
Explorer II
I was looking at an Eagle Cap 1165 yesterday. But, oh the weight!
'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
FYI: Azdel is used in the Eagle Cap since 2012
Can you say if it is used in Host construction?
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
โ€œThe best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats