cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Edge of kitchen sink repair

LASilvey
Explorer
Explorer
A cup fell out of our cabinet during travel and it left a small chip/nick/gouge in the outer edge of the kitchen sink, near the countertop. Since the actual sink was not affected, this is purely an esthetic gripe but I'm wondering what might be a good solution to filling in the gap...I'd thought about caulk but I don't want anything that might get stained. Of course this area has a texture to it, I'm sure I'm probably hoping for too much to think maybe the texture could be repaired as well. Mainly, I'd like to fill it in to keep dirt, etc from getting into it. My sink is white. Thanks so much!
2005 Arctic Fox
2003 Ford F-250 Diesel
1 Hard working hubby/daddy
2 2-legged babies
1 4-legged baby
10 REPLIES 10

LASilvey
Explorer
Explorer
bpounds - the area that was damaged is along the outer edge of the sink, so the function wasn't affected. I'd thought about caulk, but that remains tacky and I don't want anything getting inside and discolorong. As for Seam Fill, I've never heard of it - thank you! I've often wondered what someone would do should their RV countertops ever need replacing! Thank you!
2005 Arctic Fox
2003 Ford F-250 Diesel
2 2-legged babies
1 4-legged baby

WayneAt63044
Explorer
Explorer
How about SeamFil which is a Formica repair/filler available at the local hardware store. Various colors available.
2012 Forest River V-Cross Vibe 826VFK
pulled by 2009 Ram 1500 Quad Cab Hemi

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
I hate those plastic sinks (what we have too), so if it were me I would be so thankful that I had a reason to finally swap it out with a stainless steel sink.

I don't think you will ever get a truly nice looking repair, but you can at least avoid leaking and collecting crud with caulk. If you still have the piece that broke out, embed it into the caulk.
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

LASilvey
Explorer
Explorer
Omg, westend, awesome idea! Thank you!
2005 Arctic Fox
2003 Ford F-250 Diesel
2 2-legged babies
1 4-legged baby

westend
Explorer
Explorer
LASilvey wrote:
Duane, that's a sweet story!
Thank you to all who replied....my apologies for not mentioning that my sink isn't porcelain; it's some sort of plastic material. Might the chip repair product and sponge texture idea still work?

Most plastics can be repaired with epoxy. You may need to find an epoxy that either matches the color or add in color to match. If you have a Corian sink, there are repair and joining products that can be color matched.

If you can find a fabric that matches the texture and treat it as a mold release, you could duplicate the texture easily. Apply repair material, press texture-fabric into material and let set. Remove fabric.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

LASilvey
Explorer
Explorer
Duane, that's a sweet story!
Thank you to all who replied....my apologies for not mentioning that my sink isn't porcelain; it's some sort of plastic material. Might the chip repair product and sponge texture idea still work?
2005 Arctic Fox
2003 Ford F-250 Diesel
2 2-legged babies
1 4-legged baby

roadrat2
Explorer
Explorer
3 dudes and 3 girls in an 18' trailer. You all had to know each other real well by the morning...;)
2011 Crossroads Zinger ZT25SB
2006 F-350 6.0L

Duane4238
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe buy a new sink. Back in 1969, two buddies and I spent a night in my parent's 18' Coachman trailer, along with 3 really cute girls. One of the girls dropped a bottle of Southern Comfort and it hit the sink and did the exact same chip that you're asking about. My dad made me buy a new sink but he never found out that it was done by a girl. Parents just thought it was a crazy guys night. Almost 50 years ago and my parents are gone now, but when I read your post about a chipped sink, I had an instant flashback. Thanks.
Duane

SAR_Tracker
Explorer
Explorer
1995brave wrote:
How about something like this Porcelain Chip Fix Repair

That'd probably work, but being porcelain, wouldn't it be smooth? Depending on the texture, a sponge dabbed into the uncured epoxy might give you the texture you're looking for.
Rusty & Cheryl
2011 F250 2WD 6.2L Gasser
2008 Weekend Warrior FB2100
"Common sense is in spite of, not the result of, education" - Victor Hugo (1802-1885)

1995brave
Nomad
Nomad
How about something like this Porcelain Chip Fix Repair