Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Eh Weight Police!

franco_ontarien
Explorer
Explorer
And it wasn't even a dually.

Putting it here in truck campers, because that's what I have and where I see the most comments on weight...

https://driving.ca/chevrolet/silverado/auto-news/news/ontario-driver-ticketed-for-towing-53-foot-semi-trailer-with-chevy-silverado

Discuss...
20 REPLIES 20

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Must be laws are different in Canada.

Here in NY I'm pretty sure that would be perfectly legal if the pickup truck were registered agricultural. It's connected to the truck with a draw pin, and has an SMV on the back, thus making it a farm implement.

The local Sheriff's deputies wouldn't even give it a second look passing by.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

burningman
Explorer
Explorer
That was an article written by someone with no clue what they’re talking about and guessing about everything. Incorrectly.
Lack of CDL is more likely the infraction, because it’s a truck & trailer with an over-26,000 GVW.
If the overall length was over 75’ that’s also an infraction.
It’s highly unlikely he was carrying anything at all, probably just moving the trailer.
It’s nowhere near as stupid as some of you are claiming. Guys tow toy hauler trailers as heavy as that empty trailer and you all think it’s fine.
He didn’t need a dually, he has the trailer on a dolly. The dolly is a dually.
If he didn’t have a doubles/triples endorsement on his CDL, if he had one, that’s a problem too.
We don’t know if he had the brakes hooked up. Maybe he did. It’s not impossible to do.
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Or this

towpro
Explorer
Explorer
I only see 2 things wrong. but both are law infractions only.

1) he is towing a double trailer.the part attached to his truck that has the 2 wheels on it is considered a trailer.
and the rear section attached to front trailer counts as 2nd trailer.
in some places this is totally legal.

But that trailer probably has a GVWR of 45,000 lbs. It don't matter what that trailer weighs empty, he better have tags on the truck (or trailer) to cover that max GVWR.

not much different than towing one of these.

or these

or even this

2022 Ford F150
Sold: 2016 Arctic Fox 990, 2018 Ram 3500, 2011 Open Range
Sold Forest River Forester 2401R Mercedes Benz. when campsites went from $90 to $190 per night.

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
GWolfe wrote:
Is that an air tank on the hitch? Wonder how that works with his trucks brakes?

I am sure the air tank is for the trailer brakes but if he plumbed any of it to controls on the pickup is hard to know..Tongue weight is hardly nothing so he possibly could be within his tow ratings on a newer F-150..I think they go slightly over 12K..

It's the length that probably got him..
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

Reality_Check
Nomad II
Nomad II
GWolfe wrote:

It doesn't. He most likely charged the system to release the spring brakes only. It'll roll... but I'm betting he didn't plumb it to apply air for stopping. Just going to 'wing it....

lol, works great for moving something (around the yard or something..) but not the best idea for going down the road. Anyone that understands air brakes was going to see that.
'16 F550 CC, 4x4 with Link Ultraride air suspension, '18 AF 1150. Just so we can play with our snowmobiles, dirt bikes and fishing boat. And new 20' tag along...kayaks, bikes, mc's and extra water and food!!

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
The tank looks like fluid tank to me, but there is air hose going over to truck bed.

GWolfe
Explorer
Explorer
2005 Sun-Lite Eagle
2011 Silverado

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III

zcookiemonstar
Explorer
Explorer
This is a good example of just because you can do something dose not mean you should.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
So he was pulling 12,000 lb trailer with pickup rated for 8,600 lb towing.
Farmers do it every day.

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
Biggest danger danger: The brakes on that trailer might yard the hitch right off the pick em up twuck.

Eric_Lisa
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am curious to know the rest of the story as it could be quite reasonable. Absolutely if this was going at road speeds down a major thoroughfare, this is stupid and deserves a ticket.

On the other hand, this could have been a one-time move a 1/2 mile down a country road at 10mph. An overzealous cop would certainly see it as illegal, write a ticket, and make a Facebook post. A more reasonable cop might toss the flashers on and help a local guy out.

We don't know the rest of the story, so until then I will reserve judgement on the level of stupidity involved.

-Eric
Eric & Lisa - Oregon
'97 Silverado K2500, New HT383 motor!, Airbags, anti-sway bar
'03 Lance model 1030, generator, solar,

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
An “E” for effort.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad