cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Electrical Upgrade Made Easy

RetiredBeanCoun
Explorer
Explorer
Just finished the lithium/inverter upgrade in my camper. It took a couple of hours and was so easy.

• Drop in as many lithium batteries as the battery compartment can hold, and keep existing DC cabling.
• Run a fused 2/0 positive and negative cable from batteries to the inverter
• Replace the solar charge controller with lithium compatible one (keep existing cabling)
• Cut the cable running from the automatic transfer switch to the AC breaker box and plug the two ends into the inverter.
• Done

Air conditioning, microwave, and all AC outlets work, and shore power and generator charge the batteries. It just seemed too easy. I have no electrical background so maybe I have it wrong.

Three 100ah Battleborn batteries
Victron Multiplus 3000 (Pre-programmed based on batteries)
100/50 Victron MPPTs (Pre-programmed based on batteries)
2020 Eagle Cap 1165, 2019 F450 Regular Cab
5 REPLIES 5

RetiredBeanCoun
Explorer
Explorer
camperdave wrote:
I'll assume there was one more step, remove the existing converter.

That's a sweet inverter setup. All in one charger, inverter, switch yes?

Did you retain any charging from the truck to the camper? Probably don't need it with the solar, right?

The charge from the truck, I kept as it. I have duel heavy duty alternators so I assumed they could stand it. The concern might be the existing cabling since I would assume the lithium will pull a bigger charge, but it is fused and seems to be okay.

RetiredBeanCoun
Explorer
Explorer
work2much wrote:
Pretty much what I did aside from I removed the transfer switch since we don't use a built in generator. I also removed the stock converter charger since the new inverter charger has a transfer switch built in for when we are plugged in and it takes care of charging duties.

Enjoy.

On my exiting converter, I just flipped the 15 amp breaker in the AC panel that goes to the converter to off, since this is no longer needed. I am not sure that I needed to do this, but it is redundant so I did.

camperdave
Explorer
Explorer
I'll assume there was one more step, remove the existing converter.

That's a sweet inverter setup. All in one charger, inverter, switch yes?

Did you retain any charging from the truck to the camper? Probably don't need it with the solar, right?
2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29v

work2much
Explorer
Explorer
Pretty much what I did aside from I removed the transfer switch since we don't use a built in generator. I also removed the stock converter charger since the new inverter charger has a transfer switch built in for when we are plugged in and it takes care of charging duties.

Depending on what kind of charging and inverting loads you are asking from your Victron make sure that it has good ventilation.

Enjoy.
2022 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD DRW Crew 4x4 Aisin 4:10 Air ride.

2020 Grand Design Solitude 2930RL 2520 watts solar. 600ah lithium. Magnum 4000 watt inverter.

phemens
Explorer
Explorer
Nice! I did the same with lithium batteries and a Samlex unit. You'll be very happy with the performance no doubt.
2012 Dutchman Denali 324LBS behind a 2006 Ford F-250 V10 out of Montreal
1 DW, 1 DD, 1 DS, 2 HD (Hyper Dogs)
1200w solar, 600AH LIFePO4, Yamaha EF2000 gen, Samlex 3000w Inverter