cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Electrical

Faststreak
Explorer
Explorer
We used our Cascade last in July. Just went to check on it. It's parked under my barn and hooked up to power. Everything is dead. No lights, power control panel, no power except micro wave when plugged in. I have two 6 volt batteries that will be two years old in November. Is that probably my problem are they shot? Ideas to check? It has generator and one solar panel. Again it is hooked up to shore power thanks
33 REPLIES 33

happy2rv
Explorer
Explorer
Just making sure, you actually unscrewed the GFCI outlet and pulled it out to test the wires feeding it?

Also, just to clarify, last post I saw you hadn't verified the voltage coming out of the circuit breaker feeding the GFCI. Did you do that? If so, I missed it.

You indicate the main breaker seems fine. If other outlets and appliances in the RV are working, the main breaker is obviously OK as are the breaker for those items. What's important is whether there is voltage coming out of the breaker feeding the GFCI and if its actually reaching the GFCI. You can't tell by looking at the breaker. In a perfect world, a tripped breaker will be visibly moved or have an indicator, but they can and do trip without moving the handle and they can and do fail without any visible indication.
2018 Forrest River Salem Hemisphere 282RK - 2017 RAM 1500 TV

Previous RVs and TOADS
2004 Fleetwood Bounder 32W on WH W20
2000 Four Winds 5000 21RB
1986 27' Allegro
TOADS
2005 Ford Ranger XLT 2WD
2004 Suzuki Aerio
1988 Chevrolet Sprint

Faststreak
Explorer
Explorer
Thats a good idea. I do have the fireplace. I’ll work on that. Thanks

mike_kellie
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you have the fireplace option you can remove it with 4 screws and visually trace the wiring into the basement. I have re-routed wiring for my inverter that used to be installed in that cavity into the basement where newer models relocated them to. Gives you some perspective to plumbing also.
2015 Host Mammoth triple slide w/ TorkLift Fastguns
2015 Ram 5500 SLT cab & chassis with Douglass 9' utility body

Faststreak
Explorer
Explorer
Yes

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
Faststreak wrote:
Mike their is no power to the basement GFi

To clarify, did you check power on the incoming (line) wires to the GFCI after pulling it out?

Faststreak
Explorer
Explorer
Mike their is no power to the basement GFi

mike_kellie
Explorer II
Explorer II
There were some bad GFI that went out. Another Host owner replaced the unit in the storage area and it solved the problem. Hopefully it will be this easy
2015 Host Mammoth triple slide w/ TorkLift Fastguns
2015 Ram 5500 SLT cab & chassis with Douglass 9' utility body

Faststreak
Explorer
Explorer
Dead short continues. Today put volt meter on GFI in basement. No power coming to GFI..pulled control panel off. No loose wires obsoverd. Main breaker seems fine.

Eric_Lisa
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't know if your fully drained batteries will come back to you or not...but before charging you may want to make sure they are fully watered (assuming these are batteries you can check). They may or may not survive, but if they are recharged when low on water then it almost guarantees they will be junk.

HTH,
-Eric
Eric & Lisa - Oregon
'97 Silverado K2500, New HT383 motor!, Airbags, anti-sway bar
'03 Lance model 1030, generator, solar,

Faststreak
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all of he responses. Try again after work tomorrow.

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
2oldman wrote:
Faststreak wrote:
The breakers all appear to be holding. When i had a electrical problem before it was a short in the slide out and it did throw the breaker.
Slide outs are independent from 110 and shouldn't be throwing breakers, unless it threw the converter breaker.

Unless there's a 120V receptacle in the slide out and the wire feeding it gets pinched somewhere.

ticki2
Explorer
Explorer
Faststreak wrote:
There are two outlets in the basement. One is a GFI neither work. I haven’t checked the voltage at the breakers. Guess I’ll do that next
Earlier in the thread you said the GFI was working . Is your shore power also GFI ? Seems to me someone else had a similar problem going through two GFI . They also just go bad .
'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
happy2rv wrote:
If both outlets aren't working, I expect the GFCI is either tripped or broken. GFCI outlets can and do go bad. If the reset switch on it doesn't work, I would probably check the power wires supplying it. If it resets and immediately trips again or won't reset, its definitely worth verifying there's not a reason its tripping. After verifying there's not another issue and that there is power to at the GFCI outlet, it can be replaced.

x2

It could also be an actual ground fault if the GFCI won't reset. They won't reset without power applied either.

Pull the GFCI out and check for power at the incoming wires. If there is power there but it won't reset, disconnect the downstream (i.e. load) wires to the other receptacle then try to reset it again. If it doesn't reset then, replace it.

happy2rv
Explorer
Explorer
If both outlets aren't working, I expect the GFCI is either tripped or broken. GFCI outlets can and do go bad. If the reset switch on it doesn't work, I would probably check the power wires supplying it. If it resets and immediately trips again or won't reset, its definitely worth verifying there's not a reason its tripping. After verifying there's not another issue and that there is power to at the GFCI outlet, it can be replaced.
2018 Forrest River Salem Hemisphere 282RK - 2017 RAM 1500 TV

Previous RVs and TOADS
2004 Fleetwood Bounder 32W on WH W20
2000 Four Winds 5000 21RB
1986 27' Allegro
TOADS
2005 Ford Ranger XLT 2WD
2004 Suzuki Aerio
1988 Chevrolet Sprint