cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Engine tune ups

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2016 GMC 2500 HD and just did a 'tune up' on it. Tune-ups today consist of new spark plugs and wires ($175) and sometimes new coils ($145). I started my little project at about 1pm and by 5pm I had 5 of them done...OMG, you can't see a spark plug hole to line up the new ones to start the threads. The engineering is not self-maintenance friendly at all. This morning I did the last 3 that took another 2 hours.

I am sore, cut up and bruised from the contortions needed to get in position to reach the plugs. Is it any wonder why tune-ups at a dealer or other shop are 500 bucks? After a new air filter the total was $205 and change. Ah yes, the satisfaction of saving 300 bucks and now I actually can tell it runs better. The last new plugs were at 100,000 miles and its at 148,000 now. The plugs were visibly worn (NGK's). Put in AC Delco iridium plugs. (12 bucks each).

Oh yeah, don't forget to do the injector cleaner service.....another 289 bucks.
13 REPLIES 13

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
msmith1.wa wrote:
For those old enough to remember the Chevy Monza. To change the driver side plugs on the V8 model It was recommended to remove the motor mount bolt on that side and jack up the engine for access.

I never dealt with a Monza, but I do remember changing plugs every ~30k miles. I never liked the rear passenger side plugs.

Having said that my wife's Ford Edge Sport hit 100k miles last year and you have to remove the intake manifold to access the plugs up against the firewall. Elected to pay the Ford tech to perform this one.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

PA12DRVR
Explorer
Explorer
"For the ole folks here. That’s one of the pluses of newer vehicles with the plastic fender wells. Almost universally, they remove easily and make life a lot easier working on the side of an engine."

First foray into changing _____ (multiple items to fill in the blank) on the old GM 2500 2009.5 vintage took several hours, chipped knuckles, and lots of blue air when going in from the top.
2nd foray into changing ___________ went through the wheel well, removing the liner. Same several hours, no chipped knuckles, considerably less blue air.

3rd foray, again, going through the wheel well...far less hours (since I'd learned how to remove the liner faster) dirty hands but no chipped knuckles, and no blue air.
Fast forward to the new-ish F250; laziness stalks the land and I get most changes and "tune-ups" done by others.
CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
Never thought LS engines were terribly difficult to access spark plugs. But haven’t changed them in a newer pickup.
But it’s a good reminder how much $ you can save by doing the simple stuff like a tune up, yourself.

Me neither. I know that the plugs were super easy to change on my 2001 Yukon 5.3L; less than an hour for all 8! :C
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

ArialSummer
Explorer
Explorer
I didn't think GMC 2500 HD tune-up was a real pain

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Diesel doesn't look so bad after all. Fuel filters, oil and air filters and oil. OH yea that's maintenance. Tune up, what's that????????
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Turtle n Peeps wrote:
I had to take the throttle body off of this little jewel the other day. What fun it is working on a Ford van! I never thought I would wind up a a Ford mechanic.

Lol, we all doo things we’re not proud of sometimes….glad you have the courage to come forward and share your shameful experience with the group….
Haha cheers man.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
ken56 wrote:
Valpo Camper wrote:
Youtube video says to put it on jacks and take off the wheels to remove the inner fender liner for access.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFp2WQsf4qY

That would be nice if I had a lift to put it up on. Having to disassemble the front end to change spark plugs is a bit over the top IMO.

Don’t need a lift….but yes that simple task of removing the fender liner may have saved you hours of work.
For the ole folks here. That’s one of the pluses of newer vehicles with the plastic fender wells. Almost universally, they remove easily and make life a lot easier working on the side of an engine.

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
I had to take the throttle body off of this little jewel the other day. What fun it is working on a Ford van! I never thought I would wind up a a Ford mechanic.
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

msmith1_wa
Explorer
Explorer
For those old enough to remember the Chevy Monza. To change the driver side plugs on the V8 model It was recommended to remove the motor mount bolt on that side and jack up the engine for access.
2003 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 8.1l
2016 Evergreen Amped 28FS

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
Valpo Camper wrote:
Youtube video says to put it on jacks and take off the wheels to remove the inner fender liner for access.

That would be nice if I had a lift to put it up on. Having to disassemble the front end to change spark plugs is a bit over the top IMO.

Valpo_Camper
Explorer
Explorer

2005 Gulfstream Conquest LE 28 foot
2018 Wrangler JLU - pulling duty as a daily and toad
2012 Audi A7 - daily fun car

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Never thought LS engines were terribly difficult to access spark plugs. But haven’t changed them in a newer pickup.
But it’s a good reminder how much $ you can save by doing the simple stuff like a tune up, yourself.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Personally I'd pay for the plugs. The other stuff isn't so labour intensive.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.