cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Evergreen Ascend 171 RD

widetrack
Explorer
Explorer
Hello, I am looking for anyone that has the Ascend 171 RD. I have the 2014 model and have issues with towing ( sway problems ). I am not new to towing - have been camping for many years but, this is the first RV I cannot figure out! Just wondering if anyone else has this model and if it is just "characteristic" for this light weight RV. Would very much appreciate any info on this travel trailer.
6 REPLIES 6

GMandJM
Explorer
Explorer
widetrack wrote:
Thanks for your response. I will check back and see if Bumpyroad has any input to my tailwag problem. I am thinking about the Andersen Hitch. My Rv is so light and hitch weight around 7% to 8%--not enough.
Might fix the trailer sway.

Bumpy is one of the most helpful guys around here. You could probably send him a PM and he wouldn't be upset.

Let us know what your fix is.
G-half can always find a way to do things upside-down, inside-out or backward.
It's his Super Power!

ttavasc
Explorer II
Explorer II
widetrack wrote:
I am thinking about the Andersen Hitch. My Rv is so light and hitch weight around 7% to 8%--not enough.

I have an Andersen and it is pretty good for lighter tongue weights. But you will still want to have the recommended 10-15% tongue weight in order to get good performance. Since the friction material for the Anderson is the liner the tapered ball sits on the more tongue weight the more friction which translates into better sway control. It sounds like you need to see what can be done to increase the tongue weight and get it above 10%. My Jayco is a little bit lighter than the 17RD - loaded tongue weight is 450lb - about 13% of loaded trailer weight.
TT: 2019 ORV Timber Ridge 23DBS, Blue Ox SwayPro 15K/1500
TV: 2019 F-250 XLT SuperCab LB, 6.2L, 4.30/e-locker, 164" WB, 4x4, Roadmaster Active Suspension

widetrack
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for your response. I will check back and see if Bumpyroad has any input to my tailwag problem. I am thinking about the Andersen Hitch. My Rv is so light and hitch weight around 7% to 8%--not enough.

GMandJM
Explorer
Explorer
Oh, yeah. Bumpyroad has one. (My bad for forgetting that)
It's his Super Power!

bhh
Explorer
Explorer
There's a guy here, Bumpy, that I believe has one of these. Maybe he will show up soon.

GMandJM
Explorer
Explorer
If you don't find any other owners here, you might try on the Evergreen Owner's Forum. I don't know how active it is.
It's his Super Power!