cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Extended warranty - best options?

SETenn
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone out there have experience with extended warranty companies? Trying to decide whether to go with the Ford extended warranty or a separate third party, something like Car Shield. Any help is greatly appreciated.
16 REPLIES 16

covetsthesun
Explorer
Explorer
When I bought my truck new I got the MFR's extended warranty and was grateful I did. We bought a car few years later that had a little MFR warranty left and I again purchased an extended warranty. Darn glad I did. When we finally do get around to getting a new vehicle... I will definitely get an extended warranty through the MFR if one is available. I'm not fond of 3rd party "insurance" policies though.

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
mtofell1 wrote:
ScottG wrote:
Car Shield reviews.

So, pretty good then, right?? ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚

OP, go factory or nothing. People bash warranties of all kinds and the points are all correct - the companies make money from selling them so, as a whole, consumers lose. But, keep in mind we also all lose on our homeowner's insurance, auto insurance, health insurance and every other type of insurance we buy.

I have a factory backed plan from Ram on my truck and it's allowed me to keep my truck much longer than I otherwise would have. I've also received roughly 3X the amount in repairs than I paid so I'm happy. The key is you must not overpay for the plan and don't sell the vehicle and lose out on coverage that you paid for.

I agree that as a rule you lose money on warrantees. You are better off in the long run if you limit your possessions to things that you can afford to fix or replace and skip the warrantees. On rare occasions you get special skills or knowledge with insurance/warrantees that add extra value. Examples of that are contract pricing on medical care or Good Sam seems to be able to find help even in the most remote locations and awkward times.

I don't count aftermarket car warrantees as being in those groups. Always remember that the Golden Rule of business is that the person with the gold makes the rules. Once you turn your gold over to someone else they make the rules for the rest of the game. Be very careful who you turn your gold over to.

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
Agree, private warranties are notorious for denying claims and being difficult. If you are going to get any warranty, get it directly from the manufacturer and only get the full "bumper to bumper" option, not some "discount" extended warranty or one with a deductible.

Read the fine print and make sure it literally extends the factory 3/36 (or whatever it is now) to a longer term. Those are the warranties that are worth anything. Then, go to a forum and research prices.

When I bought my wife's Camry in 2008 I did research and found a dealer selling the extended 8 year warranty for about 1/3 the advertised price. Essentially they charged the cost from Toyota plus about $50 in profit for the dealer. Most dealers make several thousand dollars profit per warranty, but sell very few. This dealer decided to take $50 profit and sell thousands of warranties nationwide every month.

I ended up getting my money's worth because she had some electric issues after the 3 year warranty was up and we got some expensive components replaced, as well as a leaky valve body replaced under warranty.

I lost money on my Tundra, because not a darn thing broke on that. In the end, I came out about even between both those Toyota's but I had peace of mind the entire time I owned those vehicles, it was nice.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
Why not go with factory warranty and three years if you want more warranty either buy warranty at that time or a new truck?
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
Car Shield reviews.

So, pretty good then, right?? ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚

OP, go factory or nothing. People bash warranties of all kinds and the points are all correct - the companies make money from selling them so, as a whole, consumers lose. But, keep in mind we also all lose on our homeowner's insurance, auto insurance, health insurance and every other type of insurance we buy.

I have a factory backed plan from Ram on my truck and it's allowed me to keep my truck much longer than I otherwise would have. I've also received roughly 3X the amount in repairs than I paid so I'm happy. The key is you must not overpay for the plan and don't sell the vehicle and lose out on coverage that you paid for.

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
Personal choice thing...

No different from your home/renters/car/life/etc insurance, etc.

A 'just in case' thing...

For a used vehicle, I'd seriously consider it. Depends on the year, miles, condition, etc.

Bought a Mazda B2500 (a Ford Ranger) used from the credit union, and they offered a bumper to bumper insurance policy for $500.00 bucks.

Two years later, the AC went out and the bill was $1,200.00 bucks, and they paid it 100%

If nothing happens and don't use it, then they made money, and am not bummed by it, as they took a risk on my vehicle...
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
I have lost money on any warranty for years. Bought a 2001 Alpenlite and a warranty for half price and still lost $400.00. chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Go with the Ford ESP plan. When my wifes Ford Edge Sport required a repair it was a simple process at the dealership including a rental.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
There are always exceptions - but most who have this type of insurance would recommend you avoid. And the provider doesn't seem to be a significant factor. Google is your best friend.
Kevin

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
My MaxCare has been as it was sold to me. NO "Barbra Streisand" at all.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
If you are going to buy one, get it from the vehicle manufacturer.

READ THE FINE PRINT ON WHAT IS NOT COVERED CAREFULLY !

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
I would stick with the mfrs policy.
bumpy

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Ask for a blank copy of the insurance policy, it's not a warranty.
Read it and find all the exclusions before you decide on what to purchase.

Two_Hands
Explorer
Explorer
We had an extended warranty once. Never again. Our few claims were denied almost every time. Sorry your ac quit, itโ€™s not covered because the parkโ€™s electricity fluctuated. Your brakes arenโ€™t covered because your tire went flat. The company used any excuse it could find to deny coverage.
2015 Fleetwood Excursion 33D
2016 Grand Cherokee Limited
Retired Law Enforcement
U.S. Army 1965-1973/RVN 1968-'69

I am the frequent recipient of "Get out of the way old man!"