cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Extended warranty

Npdchief07
Explorer
Explorer
I am purchasing a new 2020 Transcend tomorrow. I am sure I will be offered an extended warranty. Any suggestions on if they are worth it or not?
15 REPLIES 15

Atlee
Explorer
Explorer
For me, and extended "warranty" isn't necessarily a bad thing. If they worked like they are supposed to. I know some folks will say they are not worth it, that they owned their RV for X number of years and never had a problem. This is true, but I view an extended "warranty" as I would health insurance. If you never have to use the health insurance, was it a waste of money to have health insurance?

For me, the rub comes in for 2 reasons. 1) They are usually way over priced, a nice profit center for the selling dealer. 2) Almost all of the stories I've read on the various RV boards I frequent, indicate these "warranty" companies do every thing in their power to deny coverage.

That's why I would never pay for a 3rd party "warranty".
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch

fdwt994
Explorer
Explorer
Omrod wrote:
Unlike most of the other folks I got it and it has paid off. My first real TT was a North Trail and I had to replace both axles, at different times. It cost me a couple thousand plus a few other things that went wrong. Now I have a Salem Hemisphere and I got the extended (5 yrs.) warranty ($1,500) at the time of purchase. That unit is being repaired right now at a truck alignment shop with frame and spring issues. Total estimate is about $2,900 and the warranty company is paying $2,650. We also replaced the AC with the extended warranty that cost me fifty bucks. We put about 6,800 miles on the camper every year. So it has worked for us and it is nice to know we have it if something does happen.

I have the same unit, a couple years younger. Could you please expand on the frame and spring issues, as well as the A/C problem? Thank You
2018 F250 6.2 Crew Cab
2018 Salem Hemisphere GLX 312QBUD
A family who loves to camp!

Omrod
Explorer
Explorer
Unlike most of the other folks I got it and it has paid off. My first real TT was a North Trail and I had to replace both axles, at different times. It cost me a couple thousand plus a few other things that went wrong. Now I have a Salem Hemisphere and I got the extended (5 yrs.) warranty ($1,500) at the time of purchase. That unit is being repaired right now at a truck alignment shop with frame and spring issues. Total estimate is about $2,900 and the warranty company is paying $2,650. We also replaced the AC with the extended warranty that cost me fifty bucks. We put about 6,800 miles on the camper every year. So it has worked for us and it is nice to know we have it if something does happen.
Omrod
2015 Chevy Silverado HD
2021 Grand Design Imagine 3250BH
Equal-i-zer Hitch

CFerguson
Explorer
Explorer
Long Answer: A warranty of any kind is only as good as the company issuing it. If you are unfamiliar with the kind of quality that RV companies build, you need to read some more.

Short Answer: no.

Qualified Answer: maybe, depending on who sold it to you. On our first TT (incidentally a Rockwood also) I had an electrical issue shortly after warranty expired (factory had OBVIOUSLY installed breaker in a very unsafe manner). My local independent small dealer fixed it without question and apologized for my trouble. So, again, it depends on the rep/honesty of who you are dealing with.

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
myredracer wrote:
MitchF150 wrote:
Just bought a new 2019 TT..
Great! But what is it? I assume you got a good "last year" model price that cinched the deal?

Yes I did.. It's a Rockwood 2511S. I posted it here a few days ago.

https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/29935138/gotomsg/29942157.cfm#29942157

As far as the deal goes, for me, it was a great deal, but I'm sure someone would say they could get a better deal.. ha, ha..

In the end, I'm happy and I'm paying the bill, so that's all that counts! ๐Ÿ™‚

I got more than triple the amount on my trade in alone than I thought I would get, so that all by itself made it a great deal! Now, I don't have to have total strangers call me and arrange for a visit to my house to look at my trailer and know where I live..

Lets just say I thought I'd only get around 2 grand trade for it...

In the end, it's parked next to my house right now, and for an old fart, I feel like a teenager getting the keys to the family car for the first time again!

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
MitchF150 wrote:
Just bought a new 2019 TT..
Great! But what is it? I assume you got a good "last year" model price that cinched the deal?

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
Just bought a new 2019 TT after 16 years of owning my first brand new one.. Was offered the 7 yr extended warranty for $1500 on both units.. I declined at the time of signing the paperwork both times, but asked if I could buy later on and they said yes for up to 10 months after..

Figure I'll see what the first 6 or so months shows and go from there. (never would have used it on the old 2003 Prowler, as it's been a great rig.. Jury is still out on the 2019 Rockwood!)

But, in the end, it's up to you to determine what works best for YOU..

In the end, I'd rather have zero issues with any product I buy and if I did buy the extended warranty, and I had no issues, then at least I didn't have to deal with all the hassles of dealing with warranty issues!

The pay off is whatever you feel was worth the cost.. If you have a TON of issues and have to take the rig in every other day for warranty work, sure.. You got your monies worth on the warranty... But, in the end, you have a POS rig that you have to deal with all that warranty work with..

Or, you pay for the X warranty.. You never have to make a claim... Humm... Peace of mind over having to deal with a POS rig???

Your choice...

Good luck!

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you have money to burn and don't know one end of a screwdriver from the other, spend the $$.

Otherwise read the fine print in close detail. Typically things that don't break are covered and things that do, aren't. Best thing is to stock up on some basic tools and some spare supplies (plumbing fittings, electrical connectors, screws, tape, etc., etc.) and fix things yourself.

Even if something is covered, your TT could sit on the dealers lot for many weeks while they fix it to suit their schedule, not yours. Not good in the height of the camping season. And too many dealers are inept and can't fix things properly it at all, even if you tell them what is wrong. (BTDT too many times.) Doesn't matter if it's the factory warranty or extended warranty. If you happen to be far away from home in the middle of nowhere, you're going to have trouble getting to a dealer that will work on it - another reason to have some tools with you. You just never know what will go wrong while you're away on a trip, and it does.

I'd keep your $$ and buy some nice RV accessories instead. ๐Ÿ™‚ Or put it towards a good roadside policy. What would happen if your TV broke down far away from home? Would towing be covered for the TT and/or TV? Not something we thought about much until recently when the engine in our truck blew up 5 hours from home.

The insurance policy we had at first was a premium one with some nice extras. If any appliance needed repairs, the TT manufacturer's warranty (2 year) was doubled, so we got 4 year's worth of warranty on appliances. Never once had a single issue with them and never needed the extended period. No wonder they can do that. Appliances aren't something that routinely break.

Mich_upnorth
Explorer
Explorer
My answer to the dealer asking about an extended warranty is โ€œif you thing I need one then I donโ€™t want your product if it wonโ€™t last very long.
Bob & Barb
2019 F-150 Ecoboost Lariat Crewcab
2014 Coachman Catalina 30RLS
ProPride hitch

fdwt994
Explorer
Explorer
The house almost always wins. Odds are, you will not recoup the entire purchase price of the warranty, especially if you roll it into your financing. Make sure you know what it will really cost you when you do the math. They may tell you "It's only $20 a month"- sure; over the course of the 10 or 12 years that you finance, and the warranty is usually only valid for four or five years after the manufacturer's one year. Also remember that many components such as the A/C, furnace, etc have two year warranties.
2018 F250 6.2 Crew Cab
2018 Salem Hemisphere GLX 312QBUD
A family who loves to camp!

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
or do like I did, they pressured me and I got up and headed for the door. Amazing how attitudes change when the exit door is involved.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
Extened warranties are extremely profitable for the dealer and salesperson, so expect a lot of pressure to buy. In fact, they probably would make more commissions on the sale of that "warranty" than the sale of the RV. Those "warranties" usually have lots of hoops to jump through to get a claim paid, and are carefully written to avoid payment. If you finance the "arranty" with you purchase, you are paying even more than the stated amount. They mostly are not worth the money. Think about it, the "warranty" company has to make a profit, as well as pay massive commissions. So their plan is to collect more money than they pay out. From you!

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
I don't purchase extended warranties to me it's not worth the hassle for something I can repair, usually better then the dealer. Other people that have zero mechanical ability extended warranty might be a good deal for them. I plan on things being wrong with a new RV. I just go through a new unit and fix everything wrong.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
no there not worth it, if your handy at all your better off fixing it yourself. just think this threw your your frig door gasket is torn , take to dealer for inspection,yep its torn took three weeks to get the inspection done,, dealer talks to factory two more weeks pass factory approves gasket three weeks later gasket arrives at dealer, two weeks pass dealer calls you set,s up an appointment for four weeks away . take to dealer sits on the lot for a month waiting for gasket to be installed ,job gets done ,they call you for pickup, you get home and find the mechanic ripped the new gasket on the install job. and you start all over. #1 you could do it yourself about 30min job,#2 hire a mobil rv tech who does rv warrenty work. and comes to you. 99% of this is fact not a story. put the cash in a piggy bank add a few bucks and you,ll have the best warrenty out there.