cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

F-150 HDPP towing 37 ft TT ** 1,300 miles later**

Maury82
Explorer
Explorer
2018 F150 3.5 EB, 4x4,XLT, S.Crew, 6.5ft bed, HDPP.

Payload: 2,470lbs, 1,320lbs hitch ratings.
Towing ratings:11,500lbs.

Trailer: 37ft, 8,400lbs dry/9,900lbs max, 1075lbs tongue.

The trailer had a half full freshwater tank and most of the items that I plan to leave in it permanently. The heaviest single item I might add to the truck is a girlfriend, and she is pretty fit. I would anticipate an extra 500lbs added pounds to both truck and trailer max.

I got the B.O. hitch setup, with the truck squatting 2" in the rear and raised 1/2" higher up front, so the truck actually sits level hooked up.

The weather conditions were dry with a 10-15 mph breeze.

Got up on I-70 eastbound and merged without effort, and before I knew it, I was flowing with traffic at 70 mph (Goodyear Endurance trailer tires). The trailer did not get pushed out or sucked in by passing cars or big rigs, not even when a tandem truck came barreling past me.

I prefer to drive 65 mph, because when I drove 70 mph, big rigs seemed hesitant to pass, but passed more often at 65 mph.

As the trucks passed, I was bracing for that pull/push that so many keep proclaiming I will suffer.

I did feel the trailer back there, but it was just more bouncing when hitting the overpass joints versus when not towing, and the rear wasn't as stiff-legged, and had more up and down movement versus when empty. I hear that Bilstein improve both town and non towing ride...next year project.

The steering wheel felt a bit lighter than not towing, but it was still accurate and didn't need anymore corrections than not towing.

I drove 75 mph just to see how the trailer would respond, and I did feel more movement back there, but never anything that made me feel swaying was occurring, and probably just me not used to how the trailer feels while towing.

I drove for several hours on both I-75 and I-70, with some time spent in the middle lane so I can feel traffic on both sides, and everything felt stable without any wandering from side to side.

When traffic suddenly slowed, the setup slowed pretty well, and I didn't feel pushed, but that the trailer was holding up its end regarding to braking, and I tested that quite a few more times.

After a while,the nervous anticipation of being passed by big rigs faded away, and I came away feeling pretty confident. I even forgot it was breezy out...lol.
118 REPLIES 118

parker_rowe
Explorer
Explorer
demiles wrote:
This point you brought up is actually proof of what Iโ€™ve been saying in regard to the HDPP trucks. If the HDPP trucks could achieve sway damping and understeer gradient limits at a higher trailer weight the numbers would be higher, but theyโ€™re not. This is the reason why when the GVWR increases GCWR decreases. Thereโ€™s nothing about the HDPP trucks that will substantially increase TWR over Max GCWR/MT only trucks and Fordโ€™s own towing guide proves it.

I still would want the HDPP if I was buying a F150 mostly for towing though...if only for the 3.73's and the bigger 9.75 rear.
2015 Starcraft TravelStar 239TBS 6500 GVWR
1997 GMC Suburban K2500 7.4 Vortec/4.10
1977 Kawasaki KZ1000

demiles
Explorer
Explorer
This point you brought up is actually proof of what Iโ€™ve been saying in regard to the HDPP trucks. If the HDPP trucks could achieve sway damping and understeer gradient limits at a higher trailer weight the numbers would be higher, but theyโ€™re not. This is the reason why when the GVWR increases GCWR decreases. Thereโ€™s nothing about the HDPP trucks that will substantially increase TWR over Max GCWR/MT only trucks and Fordโ€™s own towing guide proves it.
2008 Jayco G2 28RBS
2016 Nissan XD 5.0L Cummins

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
troubledwaters wrote:
mike102 wrote:
May be i missed it but what is the GCWR of the 2018 1/2 ton HDPP
17,000 lbs

You have to look under the 3.73 axle ratio in the towing guide to get the spec for the max payload option.

http://www.diehlford.com/images/pdf/2018_RV_Trailer_Towing_Guide_F_150.pdf

Don't ask me to explain why the GCWR is higher for the 3.55 axle than for the 3.73 but the GVWR is higher for the 3.73. Especially since you really could use the higher GVWR when operating at the higher GCWR.

joshuajim
Explorer
Explorer
Maury, I too have been towing an 8000# trailer with my HDPP for 5 years now. Iโ€™m very pleased with itโ€™s stability and donโ€™t see the need for a heavier truck. For the nay sayers, it is not uncommon for semiโ€™s to tow twice their weight, but I guess they are probably โ€œunstableโ€. :B

Just for information, I have never found a shock supplier that lists an application for the HDPP.
RVing since 1995.

troubledwaters
Explorer II
Explorer II
mike102 wrote:
17,000 lbs

mike102
Explorer
Explorer
2015 Crossroads sunset trail ST32RL
2000 Dodge 2500 V10 excab short bed

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
Maury congrats on your new setup. If it handles as well as youโ€™re hoping for I think you will quickly find out that a 2000 mile round trip is not as far as it once sounded.
Safe travels, enjoy!

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
Maury82 wrote:
Hey Steve, I took measurements of the slide opening where the theater chairs sits, and the opening is 60 inches.

The love seat is 61 inches.

The love seat will not fit between the slide wall and the refrigerator.

Pffff... it could fit if you really wanted...:W
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

Maury82
Explorer
Explorer
DallasSteve wrote:
You may be right, but I'm seeing the Outback at lower prices in my search. Plus the Laredo looks nicer to me and for me I would rather swap a queen bed. For me a king is overkill but I know some big guys like them.

I'm pleased with my decision to go with the Laredo, and plus the additional dry weight of the Outback would definitely call for a different vehicle than what I was willing to get.

The Outback appears to be more suitable for extended stays and full time, with the larger tanks and washer and dryer prep.

DallasSteve
Nomad
Nomad
You may be right, but I'm seeing the Outback at lower prices in my search. Plus the Laredo looks nicer to me and for me I would rather swap a queen bed. For me a king is overkill but I know some big guys like them.
2022 JAYCO JAY FLIGHT SLX 8 324BDS
2022 FORD F-250 XL CREW CAB 4X4
All my exes live in Texas, that's why I live in an RV

Maury82
Explorer
Explorer
DallasSteve wrote:
Maury82 wrote:
Maury82 wrote:
DallasSteve wrote:
Maury

I have looked at the Laredo 330RL and I have a question about it. Could the love seat and the theater seat be swapped in their positions? On the floor plan it looks like they are very close to the same width.

Thanks, Steve

I'm out cutting grass at a few of my rental properties, I will be home later in the day, and I can take measurements.

Hey Steve, I took measurements of the slide opening where the theater chairs sits, and the opening is 60 inches.

Maury

Thanks for doing that. That seems like bad design on their part.

On a related matter, the Outback 330RL is a very similar floor plan, but it has a washer/dryer prep. The Laredo does not. Do you have any idea if one could be added to the Laredo? It also looks like the Outback might have a little more space for the loveseat, but it may be the same.

Yes, they do have a similar floor plan.

There are no factory provisions for a washer and dryer in that front wardrobe closet. There is plenty of room in the closet for one to be added.

The Outback, in my opinion is a step-up in luxury than the Laredo, and the bedroom slide accommodates a king bed, and I think that theater seat slide is a bit wider.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
It reallly only matters what you think.
I would not tow a trailer that big on a bet.

DallasSteve
Nomad
Nomad
Maury82 wrote:
Maury82 wrote:
DallasSteve wrote:
Maury

I have looked at the Laredo 330RL and I have a question about it. Could the love seat and the theater seat be swapped in their positions? On the floor plan it looks like they are very close to the same width.

Thanks, Steve

I'm out cutting grass at a few of my rental properties, I will be home later in the day, and I can take measurements.

Maury

Thanks for doing that. That seems like bad design on their part.

On a related matter, the Outback 330RL is a very similar floor plan, but it has a washer/dryer prep. The Laredo does not. Do you have any idea if one could be added to the Laredo? It also looks like the Outback might have a little more space for the loveseat, but it may be the same.
2022 JAYCO JAY FLIGHT SLX 8 324BDS
2022 FORD F-250 XL CREW CAB 4X4
All my exes live in Texas, that's why I live in an RV

Maury82
Explorer
Explorer
Maury82 wrote:
DallasSteve wrote:
Maury

Thanks, Steve

Dougie123
Explorer
Explorer
My 2500 is inadequate compared to a F-450. Clearly I made a mistake. ๐Ÿ™‚

Miles might be right that some of the the specs on his XD might be higher than the OP's F-150, but if it works for him, then it works for him.

Some pilots are ok flying a single engine plane across the ocean.
Most pilots are ok flying a dual-engine plane across the ocean.
Every pilot is ok flying a quad-engine plane across the ocean.

It's all about risk vs performance.
Dad, Mom, 4 kids, 1 dog & lots of camping memories!

2010 Shamrock 233S (SOLD)
2018 Jayco Eagle HT 295DBOK
2011 Ram 2500 CC Laramie Hemi 4.10 (SOLD)
2017 Ram 2500 CC Laramie Cummins