cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

F-250 Brake Issue

SETenn
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2011 F-250 four wheel drive. A while back I noticed that once in a while there was some resistance after putting it in drive, sort of like a caliper that didn’t want to release. A little push on the gas pedal releases the tension and everything seems fine. Sometimes it does this, other times it does not. I suspected a sticking caliper and had both on the front replaced since it for sure seemed like the issue was coming from the front. I also had both brake lines replaced on the front. Everything was good for about a day and then it did it again. There is not hot brake smell of any kind and it stops straight. My mechanic is stumped as well. The only other thing to do is to replace both back calipers. Anyone else ever experience this issue? It is a 6.2 gasser.
26 REPLIES 26

315RLTSinPA
Explorer
Explorer
Could be hill start assist. Does it do it on level ground or only on hills? Shouldn't do it on level ground.

danrclem
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:
The back side of the brake pads rust like crazy, especially if you drove on salted roads, just one thing to check.

That would be my first guess. If it's been raining there like it has been in my area there is plenty of moisture to do that.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
The back side of the brake pads rust like crazy, especially if you drove on salted roads, just one thing to check.

SETenn
Explorer
Explorer
Yes it is a 4x4

bid_time
Explorer III
Explorer III
Is it a 4 x 4?

amxpress
Explorer
Explorer
Instead of replacing the calipers, why not inspect the slide pins for corrosion? You can clean & lubricate them to correct a sticky caliper condition. They should easily slide in and out of their bore.
2021 Toyota Tundra TRD Off Road double cab
2022 Airstream International 27FB
Blue Ox Sway Pro hitch
M.I.L is self quatanting in Jacksonville Zoo

SETenn
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies. There is definitely something holding it back from time to time, hit the gas pedal a little and whatever it is will release. I'm just concerned that if it is a caliper that it will eventually not release.

SETenn
Explorer
Explorer
I honestly don’t know about the hill assist. How could I tell if I have it? I have only had the truck about 3 months.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
A year or two after launching a buddy's boat in salt water, I had the same issue. In my case it was the back calipers hanging up.
I also had a rebuilt caliper (front this time) start sticking after less than a year.

bguy
Explorer
Explorer
Does it have hill assist?
---------------------------------------
2011 Ram 1500 Quad Cab, 4x4, 3.55, HEMI
2009 TL-32BHS Trail-Lite by R-Vision

SETenn
Explorer
Explorer
62k miles.

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
Miles? Flush the brakes completely. It is possible youe ebrake cable is sticking.