cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

F-250 Brake Issue

SETenn
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2011 F-250 four wheel drive. A while back I noticed that once in a while there was some resistance after putting it in drive, sort of like a caliper that didn’t want to release. A little push on the gas pedal releases the tension and everything seems fine. Sometimes it does this, other times it does not. I suspected a sticking caliper and had both on the front replaced since it for sure seemed like the issue was coming from the front. I also had both brake lines replaced on the front. Everything was good for about a day and then it did it again. There is not hot brake smell of any kind and it stops straight. My mechanic is stumped as well. The only other thing to do is to replace both back calipers. Anyone else ever experience this issue? It is a 6.2 gasser.
26 REPLIES 26

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
SETenn wrote:
Thanks for the help guys, it is definitely the hill assist. Not crazy about it but I'm not going to fool with trying to disable it. I'll just let it work like it is supposed to I guess.

Try to repress the irrational "It's different, so I automatically don't like it," reaction and give it a chance.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
Lynn The built in hill assist not the hill descent switch, button or whatever is on the dash.

You may even have hill assist on your truck. my 2012 has it. There is no manual control for it. It is built in and supposedly engineered to hold the vehicle from rolling backward if you stop on a hill and release the foot brake.

Lets not put the OP in another tizzy.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
SETenn wrote:
Thanks for the help guys, it is definitely the hill assist. Not crazy about it but I'm not going to fool with trying to disable it. I'll just let it work like it is supposed to I guess.

Hill descent is for serious off road conditions at low speed, I have no clue if you are turning it on or if it is defective.

From your owners manual page 278:

Enabling hill descent control and setting the descent speed:

1. Press and release the hill descent button located on the instrument panel. A light in the cluster will illuminate and chime will sound when this feature is activated.

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the shout back. That little issue does not even register on my after 6 plus years. Let her rip tader chip. :W

SETenn
Explorer
Explorer

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
amxpress wrote:
Instead of replacing the calipers, why not inspect the slide pins for corrosion? You can clean & lubricate them to correct a sticky caliper condition. They should easily slide in and out of their bore.

Go one step further.

Use a powered wire wheel and get those slide pine SHINY CLEAN ! Then take a drill bit one size smaller that the slide pin hole and run it up and down the bore. You actually DO want a small amount of play between the pin and the bore. That is why you apply a generous amount of the special disc brake lube.

If the OPs truck was newer, I would suspect something to do with the electric parking brake.

shum02
Explorer
Explorer
I carry a hand held infrared thermometer with me. Just go around the truck pointing at the calipers/rotors to see if the temps are all within close range of each other. Fool proof method to see if you have one sticking and which one it is as well to see if one is NOT grabbing as it should.

I have had issue with aged flex lines in several trucks causing sticking. No drain back.
2006 F350 Lariat FX4 CC 4x4 PSD
2007 KZ2505QSS-F Outdoorsman

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
ommon guys, OP answered the hill assist a few posts back. :R

rrupert
Explorer
Explorer
bguy wrote:
Does it have hill assist?

X2
Rich and Joyce
2018 Jayco Jay Flight 21QB
2012 Ford F150 4X4 Supercrew EcoBoost
Reese Strait-Line Dual Cam Hitch

Amateur Radio K3EXU

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
SETenn wrote:
I just found out that it does have the hill assist so maybe that is what is going on?? For you guys that have this feature, does it feel like something breaks free when you hit the gas pedal? The previous owner put a level kit on this truck, which I hate, and I'm wondering if dropping the back end a little with the kit causes the hill assist to engage more often than needed.....

I have a 2012 F250 that does the same thing. It is the hill assist thinking you stopped on a hill or maybe you did stop on a slight incline.

Relax, you will get used to it. I don't think you will change a thing by throwing all the stuff at it as suggested by some posts.

Mine has been doing that since new.

A second thought here. If it bothers you you might consider looking in the owners manual and see if it has a fuse. maybe pull it and disable the system, but that may cause a light on the dash. Just a thought.

I also suspect your mechanic needs to bone up a little bit on how that beast works.

whjco
Explorer
Explorer
I've had this happen to two of my Ford vehicles, one a 2000 E350 and a 2000 Excursion. The lining of the flexible hoses to the front brake calipers were deteriorating on the inside of the line thereby blocking the flow of brake fluid out of caliper when the brake pedal is released. Once all three (#3 to the rear axle) of the flexible lines were replaced, the problem went away.
Bill J., Lexington, KY
2006 Starcraft 2500RKS 25' Travel Trailer
2015 Ram 2500 Big Horn 6.7 Cummins.

TakingThe5th
Explorer
Explorer
Ask your mechanic if the ABS system might be involved. Perhaps you have a bad sensor. Rare, but possible. If the calipers and hoses are indeed OK, this might be worth exploring. Also I would assume that new pads were installed with the calipers. I say this because I once had an oil-contaminated pad stick as you explained. Good luck.
TakingThe5th - Chicago, Western Suburbs
'05 Ford F350 Crew 6.0 DRW Bulletproofed. Pullrite Super 5th 18K 2100 hitch.
'13 Keystone Cougar 333MKS, Maxxfan 7500, Progressive EMS-HW50C, Grey Water System.

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
Another possibility is with the 4x4 system

IIRC, Ford uses vacuum in stead of solenoids for the hubs and they don't always release nor engage, depending on the issues. Buddy had his fixed via a TSB. Rain water from the cowl washes over the vacuum control & motor. Messes it up and then the water runs down the vacuum line to mess up the hub gear set. Mostly they will stick and some times partially stick...that is what got him into the dealer for a 'ratcheting' sound coming from his right wheel...his hub gear was stuck in-between engaged and disengaged

IIRC, Ford also uses a computer module to control the transfer case and motors to shift the transfercase.

I'm old school and dislike all of these computer controlled and motorized shift linkages. Prefer the levers that confused too many and they why the OEMs have gone to automated 4x4 controls

Also, do you drive with the 4x4 in lock while on pavement? If so, your 4x4 system might be binding and that is holding it back until it unwinds. If you, don't, as it will ruin your 4x4 system
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

SETenn
Explorer
Explorer
I just found out that it does have the hill assist so maybe that is what is going on?? For you guys that have this feature, does it feel like something breaks free when you hit the gas pedal? The previous owner put a level kit on this truck, which I hate, and I'm wondering if dropping the back end a little with the kit causes the hill assist to engage more often than needed.....