cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

F250 hitch rings

Colo_Native
Explorer
Explorer
I have a F250 and need to use a shackles for the safety chains because the idiot designer of the hitch rings didn't make them right to fit the hooks. Is a 20000 lbs shackle enough for a 11000 lbs trailer. They are 3/4" shackles
2015 Winnebago Forza 34T
pushed by a 2011 Fusion Hybrid or 2020 Escape Hybrid
Retired DFD
17 REPLIES 17

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
austingta wrote:
Nominal Size (in.) Diameter of Bow Carbon Maximum Working Load (Tons) Alloy Maximum Working Load (Tons) Inside Width at Pin (in.) Diameter of Pin
3/16 1/3 n/a .38 .25
1/4 1/2 n/a .47 .31
5/16 3/4 n/a .53 .38
3/8 1 2 .66 .44
7/16 1-1/2 2.6 .75 .50
1/2 2 3.3 .81 .63
5/8 3-1/4 5 1.06 .75
3/4 4-3/4 7 1.25 .88
7/8 6-1/2 9.5 1.44 1.00
1 8-1/2 12.5 1.69 1.13
1-1/8 9-1/2 15 1.81 1.25
1-1/4 12 18 2.03 1.38
1-3/8 13-1/2 21 2.25 1.50
1-1/2 17 30 2.38 1.63
Insure screw pin is tight before each lift.
Use bolt type shackle for permanent installation.
Do not side load round pin shackle.
Use screw pin or bolt type to collect slings.

Probably not. Notice it says no side loads, which are a problem in a breakaway.

You can quote that **** all you want, but the fact remains that on 90% or better of Travel Trailers, especially with a Lippert frame, both chains are attached to the tongue by having the end links slid over something like this. And this is what happens if you forget to detach the chains, have the trailer wheels chocked and pull away, so what do you think would happen if the hitch failed?

Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
Groover wrote:
I am just wondering what it would be like sitting in the cab of the truck with 20K pounds yanking on the back. That is about 3g's of deceleration! And that is if only one of the chains is pulling on it with no safety factors.

Most likely it wouldn't be yanking you back, if the chains do their job the breakaway switch is not going to engag,e and even if it did those tires will probably be skidding if you're at any sort of speed at the time. It might be pushing you forward.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am just wondering what it would be like sitting in the cab of the truck with 20K pounds yanking on the back. That is about 3g's of deceleration! And that is if only one of the chains is pulling on it with no safety factors.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Yes it may seem stupid at first, but you have to remember that if they designed it to fit your hooks it wouldnโ€™t be strong enough for the heavier trailers itโ€™s designed for. Install the 3/4โ€ links on the hitch or change out your hooks for ones that will fit.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

WTP-GC
Explorer
Explorer
4x4ord wrote:
Why not change the hooks on your safety chains?

Not a feasible option if you frequently tow multiple different trailers or some trailers that don't belong to you. Add some chain or shackles or the like. The connection points on my 2017 duramax are alamot as useless too.
Duramax + Grand Design 5er + B & W Companion
SBGTF

PDX_Zs
Explorer
Explorer
Ha! No joke ion weakest link.

The chains (of uncertain quality) were welded to our frame with the lamest of tack welds.

After you look there, most methods of attaching to truck will seem robust by comparison.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Colo Native wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
^Youre kidding right?
The whole truck and trailer will disintegrate before a 3/4" shackle comes apart! Breaking strength somewhere close to 20tons X 2 shackles.
Look at the other parts of the trailer chain/ attachment system. Guessing it's not 3/4" cable and 1/2" plate connections.
Those shackles couldn't be more overkill. They'll work fine.

Agree the truck and trailer would be destroyed. I was looking at double the trailer weight which is about 11k and the shackles are rated at 20k

Perfect. Just look at the weakest link, figuratively or literally, in the safety chain system.
Those big ole shackles won't hurt anything, kinda like useful truck nutz hanging from the hitch.
And a 3/4" shackle is not rated for 20klb, it's rated for 4-3/4 tons if memory serves, but its yield strength is close to 40klbs. All "legal" rated rigging has a minimum 5:1 factor of safety.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ralph Cramden wrote:
Now let the debate begin on how the world will come to an end, a catastrophe will happen, someone will sue, it's in violation of the Interstate Commerce act, so on and so forth etc.

But what does the manufacturer's little yellow sticker say? ๐Ÿ˜‰
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

Colo_Native
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
^Youre kidding right?
The whole truck and trailer will disintegrate before a 3/4" shackle comes apart! Breaking strength somewhere close to 20tons X 2 shackles.
Look at the other parts of the trailer chain/ attachment system. Guessing it's not 3/4" cable and 1/2" plate connections.

Agree the truck and trailer would be destroyed. I was looking at double the trailer weight which is about 11k and the shackles are rated at 20k
2015 Winnebago Forza 34T
pushed by a 2011 Fusion Hybrid or 2020 Escape Hybrid
Retired DFD

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
Grit dog wrote:
^Youre kidding right?

Isn't that the truth LOL. You have to love these forums, complicating the uncomplicated since 1852. People may want to take a good look at how those chains are connected on the trailer end. Most I have seen simply have a short piece of 5/16 rod slipped through the end link on both chains, and then it's welded at each end to the underside of each main A frame member. That's usually done by some nose pickin meathead who was hired at Lippert the day prior, and whose previous experience with metal was opening Coors Light cans.

These will also get the job done in the OP's situation if a shackle is not handy in a higher indicated weight capacity than shown. Or a combination of both which I had to do on my 2015 GMC.

Now let the debate begin on how the world will come to an end, a catastrophe will happen, someone will sue, it's in violation of the Interstate Commerce act, so on and so forth etc.

Bedlam
It sounds like an issue with your trailer safety hooks rather than the truck receiver. My Ford towed many different trailers and did not have that problem. I did egg out the hitch pin hole in five years on the stock receiver but was able to get a welder to sandwich plates on the outside and drill a clean hole.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
BTW all rigging (shackles) if rated, have a 5x factor of safety. Braking strength is 5x the WLL.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^Youre kidding right?

austingta
Explorer
Explorer
Nominal Size (in.) Diameter of Bow Carbon Maximum Working Load (Tons) Alloy Maximum Working Load (Tons) Inside Width at Pin (in.) Diameter of Pin
3/16 1/3 n/a .38 .25
1/4 1/2 n/a .47 .31
5/16 3/4 n/a .53 .38
3/8 1 2 .66 .44
7/16 1-1/2 2.6 .75 .50
1/2 2 3.3 .81 .63
5/8 3-1/4 5 1.06 .75
3/4 4-3/4 7 1.25 .88
7/8 6-1/2 9.5 1.44 1.00
1 8-1/2 12.5 1.69 1.13
1-1/8 9-1/2 15 1.81 1.25
1-1/4 12 18 2.03 1.38
1-3/8 13-1/2 21 2.25 1.50
1-1/2 17 30 2.38 1.63
Insure screw pin is tight before each lift.
Use bolt type shackle for permanent installation.
Do not side load round pin shackle.
Use screw pin or bolt type to collect slings.

Probably not. Notice it says no side loads, which are a problem in a breakaway.
Frank Brooks Austin TX
2018 F 150 King Ranch max tow package with 3.55 gears
Published towing weight limit 13200
Payload per sticker 1464