Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

F350 truck camper certification

nick_m
Explorer
Explorer
Hello campers,

I just purchased a 2018 Ford F350 DRW diesel, 4x4, long bed, crew cab, 14k GVWR. The truck did not come with the Camper Package option, but the dealer determined that the hardware (front and rear springs and rear stabilizer) is equivalent to the camper package requirements. However, Ford does not generate the cert sheet that shows the loading information (max TC weight and CG zone) unless the camper option is selected.

If anyone has a similar vehicle with the certification, would you mind sharing the loading info (A, B and max weight)?

Thanks,
Nick
49 REPLIES 49

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
Hopefully the OP got the answer before this thread went to h e l l.
CLOSED
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Neither do I , but you are not answering the question?

Bedlam
Kayteg1 wrote:

We discuss placement of COG here.
I know that at least F550 has longer wheelbase than F450 what allows it better cargo hauling, but did you scale your 5500 truck empty and then with camper to compare how it affects load on front axle?

Because my camper has a 60+ gallon fresh tank against the front wall with the same sized gray directly behind it, CG is pretty good with forward bias. My hitch weight runs through a weight distribution hitch, so the front axle does not get unloaded by the heavy trailer. I also have 600 lbs of batteries forward of the axle in my under deck boxes, so I have no problems with front axle weight.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
ardvark wrote:

It strikes me as pretty common knowledge that TC owners don't follow manufacturers' recommendations. So what?

That is what I am trying to point for couple of pages.
Why manufacturers make recommendations that are proven to make no real-life sense?

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Bedlam wrote:

Nope. Iโ€™m under all factory posted numbers by 1000 lbs which is a nice cushion allowing me no worries what I carry. My F250 and AF811 was about 2500 lbs over GVWR and 2000 lbs over RAWR when I had my 8000 LB trailer in tow. It was modified to safely carry that weight but at its limits.

We discuss placement of COG here.
I know that at least F550 has longer wheelbase than F450 what allows it better cargo hauling, but did you scale your 5500 truck empty and then with camper to compare how it affects load on front axle?

ardvark
Explorer
Explorer
There seems to be so much confusion here about what "recommend" means. Physicians make recommendations all the time that are not followed as do multiple professions and folks don't get so upset. I just don't get it or the value laden adjectives that get tossed about.

It strikes me as pretty common knowledge that TC owners don't follow manufacturers' recommendations. So what?

Bedlam
Kayteg1 wrote:
Bedlam wrote:

Are you arguing this point because from Ford's literature you bought the wrong truck for what you carry? They are showing optimal load carrying - You can still carry items outside of the CG with diminished capacity or handling.

Aren't you in the same Club with your Host and 5500 truck?
Point is that according to truck manufacturers we both should be dead long time ago, when we keep proving them wrong.

Nope. Iโ€™m under all factory posted numbers by 1000 lbs which is a nice cushion allowing me no worries what I carry. My F250 and AF811 was about 2500 lbs over GVWR and 2000 lbs over RAWR when I had my 8000 LB trailer in tow. It was modified to safely carry that weight but at its limits.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad
Learn something every day- yes 60/35 would be about 4"-5" behind my rear axle.
Had no idea...
01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page http://www.ourelkhorn.itgo.com

ardvark
Explorer
Explorer
I am not sure on this, but a Lance 1172 has a COG from the front of 60" and from the rear 35", if I am reading their website correctly. I think that is going to fall behind the rear axle on every truck model. I picked that model because it is long and heavy.

And to all 1172 owners, I don't care what TC or truck you own, just answering a question here.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Bedlam wrote:

Are you arguing this point because from Ford's literature you bought the wrong truck for what you carry? They are showing optimal load carrying - You can still carry items outside of the CG with diminished capacity or handling.

Aren't you in the same Club with your Host and 5500 truck?
Point is that according to truck manufacturers we both should be dead long time ago, when we keep proving them wrong.

burningman
Explorer
Explorer
Heres how a sway bar can lift a tire under the right circumstances.
What a sway bar does is tie the left and right wheels together and resist letting one move up or down without bringing the other one with it.
Letโ€™s say you have a stiff sway bar up front, and the rear suspension flexes - the camper leans to one side. That twisting of the whole truck also goes to the front. If the whole truck tilts and the front wheels are tied together by a stiff enough sway bar, the high side tire can be lifted.
Maybe not entirely off the ground but a lot of weight can be taken off of it. At some extreme point it could be off the ground.

This is all extreme-circumstance stuff. Iโ€™m just โ€˜splaininโ€™ the principle.
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

mbloof
Explorer
Explorer
nick_m wrote:
ardvark wrote:
Here's where I see hard data being helpful, and I have to admit I am also hard data driven given at times the disparity between viewpoints can be so wide.

Suppose one is just starting out. I think many folks would agree simply going to a dealer you might be told with an F350 SRW your truck can handle anything on the lot, which was the first statement about TC weights I ever heard.

In cases where you are unsure, one thing you can do is reference what the truck manufacturer has to say and what the TC manufacturer has to see and look for agreement between recommendations. That does not mean to disregard what owners have to say, but forum members don't always speak with one voice and at times it can get confusing.

Now have said that in another forum I advised Nick I did not think he had much to gain by intense searching for Ford's input, but if it provided him with additional information, I fail to see the harm and disagree his desire speaks negatively to his capabilities.

What started as simple curiosity became a "quest" due to the Ford dealer's complete lack of knowledge regarding truck campers, followed by their active misrepresentation of the cert sheet's purpose. I've been hauling a TC for 9 years, so I lacked neither confidence nor ability - just data.

Nick

LOL, truck dealers are clueless. When shopping for my truck a salesman boldly proclaimed "an F150 could handle your campers load" which prompted me to slowly describe the 3 basic types of RV and how his statement was uninformed.

Of course us here think "truck camper" when someone says "camper. After all, if it was a motor home or travel trailer they would call it that. Do we really need to go into the detail of calling it "Pickup truck camper"?? LOL

- Mark0.

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad
Never mind...
lack of knowledge on my part
01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page http://www.ourelkhorn.itgo.com

nick_m
Explorer
Explorer
ardvark wrote:
Here's where I see hard data being helpful, and I have to admit I am also hard data driven given at times the disparity between viewpoints can be so wide.

Suppose one is just starting out. I think many folks would agree simply going to a dealer you might be told with an F350 SRW your truck can handle anything on the lot, which was the first statement about TC weights I ever heard.

In cases where you are unsure, one thing you can do is reference what the truck manufacturer has to say and what the TC manufacturer has to see and look for agreement between recommendations. That does not mean to disregard what owners have to say, but forum members don't always speak with one voice and at times it can get confusing.

Now have said that in another forum I advised Nick I did not think he had much to gain by intense searching for Ford's input, but if it provided him with additional information, I fail to see the harm and disagree his desire speaks negatively to his capabilities.

ardvark,

Yeah - I got a kick out of that post! It's interesting how an innocuous request for an example cert sheet could provoke a personal attack. The quote I referenced earlier often ends with "...unless your position of authority makes your opinion the data". Methinks we've found an "Authority"! :R

What started as simple curiosity became a "quest" due to the Ford dealer's complete lack of knowledge regarding truck campers, followed by their active misrepresentation of the cert sheet's purpose. I've been hauling a TC for 9 years, so I lacked neither confidence nor ability - just data.

Nick