cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First Hardside - 2011 Lance 830

Prominion
Explorer
Explorer
So after Ninja Pop-Upping for many years, we've bought our first hardside. I'll be sad to see the Milner go, but am looking forward to many warmer nights for winter camping.
New 2011, but it hasn't weathered all that well in the dealers yard. Some good PDI is going to be required. I've researched this model pretty well, but i'd still appreciate insight from other owners about what i should watch out for and where i might gain some additional benefit.
Maiden voyage Easter weekend fishing for big Columbia River rainbow in the West Kootenays, not that i care if we ever catch fish...will post pics after i get it rigged.

woohoo! hardside! except for the tent...where you still can't sleep holding a fish in bear country, but we already know that from the pop-ups 🙂
Professional Minion & Sweetie
11 REPLIES 11

Prominion
Explorer
Explorer
LanceCamper845 wrote:
It seems premature that the Frig and Tent would need to be replaced so soon. The dealer replacing these items would make me believe that there may be other issues with this camper. I may be inclined to walk away from this one.

...and walk away I have...what an experience. More on this subject to follow.

smooth1
Explorer
Explorer
At least they can pull the fridge out the tent opening while they have the tent fabric removed. Make sure they fill all the screw holes for the tent with caulking before they put it back on or use larger stainless screws. See if you can keep the old tent fabric for a back-up or a pattern if you need a new one. Someone on here posted you couldn't get new fabric for the 830 tents when Lance changed to the new style tent in 2012. It is good to know you still can. Since this is a new 2011 camper you should still get the 1 year warranty from Lance starting the day you take delivery. Is Lance covering the repairs or the dealer? I would make sure Lance customer service has been notified of this as you will probably deal with them directly on issues down the road.

Not a good way to start, but the 830 is a great camper and be happy you now have a brand new fridge and new tent canvas.

LanceCamper845
Explorer
Explorer
It seems premature that the Frig and Tent would need to be replaced so soon. The dealer replacing these items would make me believe that there may be other issues with this camper. I may be inclined to walk away from this one.
2008 Ford F-250 Crew-Cab w/ Camper Package
6.8L V-10 / 5 Speed TorqShift / 4.10 Rear
Ride- Rites / Stable- Loads / TorkLift Tie Downs / Fast Guns
2011 Lance 830

Prominion
Explorer
Explorer
Bad news from the dealer today, the unit failed PDI...fridge needs to be replaced. Hopefully Norcold can ship soon as dealer won't release it due to potential for catastrophe...I'm okay with that.
Good on the dealer, they are stepping up assertively. They're also replacing the tent due to weathering and all the caulk has been redone. So instead of a maiden voyage with the 830 this weekend, we'll be doing a Bon voyage voyage with the Milner. A little disappointing, but stuff happens.
I guess now I have time to put bags on the truck 🙂

Wheelholder
Explorer
Explorer
Really like out 2010 830. Pretty heavy, but knew that when we bought it. You might want to check the caulking around the vent over the bed. Ours leaked just a bit and now have some loose rubber on the roof.

The vent cover over the bathroom vent became brittle pretty quickly. Replacing was pretty easy.

Really like the pop-out windows. Can leave them open when raining and no moisture comes in.

Have found the Jensen stereo is not a very high quality one. That has been discussed on the forum before. Buttons only work intermittently.

Even with the quirks of the unit, my wife loves it as she now has her bathroom. If I could only convince her to take shorter showers. lol

Enjoy your new camper
2008 Silverado crew cab Duramax/Allison
2008 Lance 830

smooth1
Explorer
Explorer
We have an 830 and love it.

Hints: I added a second fantastic fan to the camper in the bathroom, and with both fans on high sucking out of the camper the negative pressure will almost close up the tent bed for you. Helps a lot with a single fan too. Make sure the zip open screens on the tent are closed up before you fold up the tent or that trick won't help much. It is also good practice to close up the screens so they don't get ripped. Extra padding in the tent bed is helpful as the stock 2" pad is not enough.

Enjoy your new camper.

run100
Explorer
Explorer
Congratulations! The 830 is an awesome floorplan.

Enjoy!!
2012 F350,6.7L Diesel,4x4,CC,SB,SRW
2013 Lance 855S

SpknTC
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats!! Looking forward to seeing the pics.
Ford F450 6.7L PSD DRW 4X4
Arctic Fox 865

jtlingo123
Explorer
Explorer
You got the TC I want!!! 🙂 Let me know how well the tent works, with four kids, I think it will be the best unit to buy in the future.

Congrats!!

Josh
Josh Lingo
Snoqualmie,WA.:B

Photomike
Explorer III
Explorer III
Congrats on the new unit. But why with all the nice weather that we have been having would you ever want a hard sided.........................
2017 Ford Transit
EVO Electric bike
Advanced Elements Kayaks

dokkema1
Explorer
Explorer
I have the same unit...Ive had a few problems here and there...but we use it alot....enjoy...the tent is the best thing