cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

first time out

Family-of-five
Explorer
Explorer
Hello friends This weekend will be out first time out in our new open range light 31bhs. I only have 15 amp to it in the driveway to keep the battery charged and run lights . just wondering what to check for after hooking up to 50 amps. I know to test the water heater on lp and electric.Look for leaks underneath.Test both ac units and furnace.Can you offer some small things I might overlook?
12 REPLIES 12

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
brianosaur wrote:
NEVER, ever, leave the city water on if you are not physically AT the camper and not asleep.

If you ever have a plumbing leak, or leave the tap running unknowingly, you may end up with a massive flood that will total out the rv.

Best bet is to always fill the fresh tank and close off the city water. Use fresh tank and it's pump when you need water.

Turn the fresh pump off when you leave your campsite.

Fresh tank can only run for so long and hopefully would run out before any tanks filled up with a running tap.

...dont ask me how I know.

No need to ask here!
One summer at the fishin hole we came back and the birds and squirrels had found a great water park!!

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
I recommend purchasing an Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X and plug your trailer into that and camp worry free.

And please connect CG water to your city water hookup and NOT black tank flush.

brianosaur
Explorer
Explorer
NEVER, ever, leave the city water on if you are not physically AT the camper and not asleep.

If you ever have a plumbing leak, or leave the tap running unknowingly, you may end up with a massive flood that will total out the rv.

Best bet is to always fill the fresh tank and close off the city water. Use fresh tank and it's pump when you need water.

Turn the fresh pump off when you leave your campsite.

Fresh tank can only run for so long and hopefully would run out before any tanks filled up with a running tap.

...dont ask me how I know.

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
You can check every thing in your driveway except maybe the air cond.. Leave some water in your tank when traveling in case you need a potty break on the road . As soon as ya turn water pump on or hook up to water get in the habit of turning on a hot water spigot this will ensure that you have water in water heater .

pbeverly
Explorer III
Explorer III
Family-of-five wrote:
what do you use to test the power?

At the very least with a voltmeter check volts and polarity. Volts are where and what they should be and not where they shouldn't be.
Ridgeway, SC
2019 26DBH Grey Wolf

Family-of-five
Explorer
Explorer
what do you use to test the power?

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Family-of-five wrote:
Hello friends This weekend will be out first time out in our new open range light 31bhs. I only have 15 amp to it in the driveway to keep the battery charged and run lights . just wondering what to check for after hooking up to 50 amps. I know to test the water heater on lp and electric.Look for leaks underneath.Test both ac units and furnace.Can you offer some small things I might overlook?

You can test pretty much everything above in your driveway off the household circuit, except maybe the AC's. Even those may work with a quality short cord if there isn't anything else pulling on that circuit. Worst case you pop a breaker in the house.
Just test the big stuff 1 at a time at home (H20 heater, AC, microwave).
Filler with water, run all the water stuff, tire pressure, etc at home preferably before you go.

Have fun!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
MarkTwain wrote:
Family-of-five wrote:
This weekend will be out first time out in our new open range light 31bhs.

If you have not packed the wheel bearings in the last year, do so. Carefully check tires for air maximum air pressure, cracks etc. Make sure battery water is filled up, check for any battery post, cables for corrison.

Reading comprehension my friend...
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Mark_and_Linda
Explorer
Explorer
Have you hooked city water up to it and checked things out, leaks etc before leaving the driveway? If you do that you can check your hot water heater there at home, check the heater etc. Do a good preflight at home before heading out and you should not have any problems.
Mark

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
Fill the water heater before turning it on.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
Family-of-five wrote:

If you have not packed the wheel bearings in the last year, do so. Carefully check tires for air maximum air pressure, cracks etc. Put about 30 gallons of water in your fresh tank. Make sure battery water is filled up, check for any battery post, cables for corrison.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Test the campground 50 amp before plugging in.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad