Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First Timer - Water tank reading empty after pump turned on

Trevut
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all,

This is my first time taking my new trailer out. I filled the fresh water tank and the indicator light read full for the fresh water tank. I then turned the pump on. When the pump turned on I could hear water running, and I assumed water was running into the lines. As normal, the water pump kicked off after the pressure built up. However, my fresh water tank is now reading empty. How can this be? The blank tank is reading empty and the gray tank is reading empty. I turn on the faucet and water does come out. I've looked all around the trailer and no water has drained out that I can see--there are no wet spots anywhere under the trailer, and nothing is dripping from the trailer.

I wouldn't think that this much water could fill the lines, but is that what happened? Any help would be appreciated.
11 REPLIES 11

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
Our fresh tank is the only accurate gauge and then only when the TT is level.

The black and gray tank crud up and are not very accurate for long. People have various elixirs and methods of cleaning and some work rather well until the next outing.

Eventually you just develop a feel for the fill levels.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
LVJJJ wrote:
When I get bored, I push the monitor buttons to watch the light show. No, I don't have a life.

The black water is full when you get splash back while flushing, so soothing. The grey water is full when water starts running over the side of the tub or shower.

This is exactly what Mark Twains' wisdom would be:):):)

LVJJJ
Explorer
Explorer
When I get bored, I push the monitor buttons to watch the light show. No, I don't have a life.

The black water is full when you get splash back while flushing, so soothing. The grey water is full when water starts running over the side of the tub or shower.
1994 GMC Suburban K1500
2005 Trail Cruiser TC26QBC
1965 CHEVY VAN, 292 "Big Block 6" (will still tow)
2008 HHR
L(Larry)V(Vicki)J(Jennifer)J(Jesse)J(Jason)

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
The last time that happened to me I had forgot to shut the fresh water tank drain spigot. Got to the camp ground and no water. Worked fine when I filled just before we left. 🙂
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

Farmboy666
Explorer
Explorer
keymastr wrote:
If it had been winterized when you filled it the low point drains may still be open or the water heater plug may be out. The pump will then pump water until it empties the tank.

No water on the ground kind of indicates drains not open let alone the pump stops when the pressure builds. It sounds like one of the sensors, maybe 3/4 not working, maybe a wire off. My tank sensors all work great.

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
Do yourself a huge favour and forget those tank monitors which are rarely remotely close to accurately determining tank contents. Most of us do. :W

Words of wisdom!!!!!! Tank monitors are almost useless!!!! After a few trips you will be able to gauge how many gallons of water you typically use for a day, 5 days, 2 weeks etc. Also take in consideration how many people are with you on a given trip. Teach yourself and quests how to take "Navy showers"
1. rinse for 1 min.
2.Turn water off at shower head.
3. lather up your body
4. Turn water on just long enough to rinse off.
Your daughter and wife will not be happy campers:(:(:(

keymastr
Explorer
Explorer
If it had been winterized when you filled it the low point drains may still be open or the water heater plug may be out. The pump will then pump water until it empties the tank.

2chiefsRus
Explorer
Explorer
how big is your fresh water tank? Did it also have to fill the water heater? how big is your water heater?
Dave & Kathy
2007 Monaco Knight 40PDQ towing 2018 Ford F-150 & 2017 Harley Trike
Fulltime 2007 to 2016, now halftimers
Before you give someone a piece of your mind, make sure you can get by with what will be left.
Our Blog
National Parks Visited

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
SoundGuy wrote:
Do yourself a huge favour and forget those tank monitors which are rarely remotely close to accurately determining tank contents. Most of us do. :W

X2 although the fresh is usually better.
I think I have looked at the monitor in mine once when it was new.

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
It shouldn't be that far off but more water in it and see if the lights move up. My fresh light works pretty good but gray and black will show full when empty.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380