cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Floors

paulfredricks
Explorer
Explorer
We are shopping for a new travel trailer. I've seen all the info about quality these days. Most issues sound small to me as I am very handy.

Some of the units we are looking at have a 2" laminated floor listed. A friend of mine had a laminated floor in the past and said that where ever someone spent a lot of time, like in front of the sink, the floor sagged. It was dented in. For that reason he will only go with a camper that has a plywood floor.

Is this still a concern with this type of floor?
2004 Starcraft 215SSO
2014 GMC Yukon XL Denali
18 REPLIES 18

dedmiston
The thread got bumped by a spammer. Sorry guys.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
kellem wrote:
Foam core flooring seems to be common in trailers with heated underbelly due to it's insulation R value.

Northwood MFG and Outdoors RV have always had heated, enclosed underbellies and they have never used a laminated floor system.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
jdc1 wrote:
Stick to a good sheet vinyl floor. Less chance of moisture to penetrate down to the OSB sheeting.

OSB for the flooring is used by low-end RV manufacturers.
I wouldn't buy one that used OSB anywhere in the construction
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2011 keystone outback with laminated floor. Gets used a couple months/year at least, and haven't noticed any issues with floor sagging anywhere. But we are careful to make sure there is no water intrusion.

Fellow campers have trailers 10+ years old with laminated floors and lots of use and not issues either.
Are there better floors? likely
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
Just say no,Why buy a potential headache. There are plenty out there without such a floor. They weigh more but it is good weight.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

thomas66
Explorer
Explorer
SNIP

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
Foam core flooring seems to be common in trailers with heated underbelly due to it's insulation R value.

We have a friend who actually went through the floor on brand new trailer but can I mention this person exceeded 400 lbs.

That said, we've not experienced any issues but are light on foot.

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
paulfredricks wrote:
Forest River makes a number of campers with 5/8" ply wood floors

My 2018 Rockwood has a plywood floor
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
Our camper has a foam core floor and we use it a lot. There has been no problem with the floor.
However, if you are a larger type person, there can (and probably will) be a breakdown of the floor, especially at the door. I have seen this firsthand in someone else’s trailer.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
campigloo wrote:
The laminated floors are usually pretty good. His probably got wet. They’re used because they have some insulation value and they’re light. Unless maybe it’s a toy hauler I doubt you’ll find any camper made in the last 30 years that will have plywood flooring.

The sandwich core flooring is used because it's cheap and light weight.

Lots of campers still use plywood though there has been a move to OSB. As long as it stays dry, OSB vs plywood isn't a big deal but OSB is far less forgiving if it gets wet. Not that you want plywood to get wet but if it gets wet a couple times then you fix the leak, good chance the plywood will be fine...the OSB will disintegrate.

Problem with sandwich core is they use very thin sheets of plywood, so the deflection goes into the foam core. In high traffic areas, that foam starts to break down, even if it never gets wet. So by the door or in front of the sink, the floor starts to sag. If you use the trailer a few weekends per year, it may be years before the issue is noticeable. If you use the trailer a lot, it can show up quickly.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've got a 2015 Jayco with a solid plywood floor. Laminated floors are good when they are solid, but just about impossible to fix if they get damaged. While I hope that I never need to fix my floor, I am confident in my abilities to replace a section of plywood. I'd have to pay to fix a laminated floor, or scrap the trailer.

That played into my decision of what brand and type trailer I wanted.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
Lots of problems with the foam core floors getting soft spots. The stuff in the middle gets soft with use.

I would rather have a wood floor with vinyl tile or sheet vinyl on top.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

CarnationSailor
Explorer II
Explorer II
campigloo wrote:
The laminated floors are usually pretty good. His probably got wet. They’re used because they have some insulation value and they’re light. Unless maybe it’s a toy hauler I doubt you’ll find any camper made in the last 30 years that will have plywood flooring.

My 2011 Keystone Cougar TT had a laminated floor (foam core) and it sagged in high traffic areas and it did NOT get wet. Also, I know of at least two others with Keystone products of that era who had similar problems.

I hope the current laminated floors are free of that defect.
2015 Crossroads Rushmore Springfield
2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax

cougar28
Explorer
Explorer
Jayco uses "5/8 in. tongue-and-groove joined plywood floor decking" in a lot of there models.
2002 F-250 SD CC 7.3PSD Auto. XLT Short Bed 4X4 Off-Rd.Pkg.Highland Green,Westin Sportsman Grille Guard (Black) RBW Li'l Rocker Slider ,Prodigy Control Towing Jayco Eagle HT 30.5 MLOK,Handy 5er tailgate