cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FORD 5.4 L Aluminum Head Spark Plug Seat Repair-Quick-Easy

Camper_Jeff___K
Nomad II
Nomad II
VIDEO: FORD 5.4 Liter Aluminum Head Spark Plug Seat Repair. Quick, Easy, Cheap,,,

We have had the FORD aluminum head spark plug blow out issue happen to us two times now. First time was in Tillamook, Oregon. I wasn't sure what to do at the time, but the NAPA store people did know, and set me up with this simple repair kit and a couple tools. The repair is much more simple than expected and only took about thirty minutes to complete. I always have one of these repair kits and a new coil with me now. We were lucky we were able to limp into Tillamook, only a few miles from where the spark plug blow out event happened and spend the night in NAPA's parking lot, waiting till Monday morning when we could get the help and parts needed to make the repair. Spark plug blow outs, are a known and common issue with the FORD aluminum head. I would recommend anybody with a FORD gas engine carrying a truck camper, have one of these kits and a replacement coil available in their tool box. You never know when or where a blow out will happen.
Hope it helps.
9 REPLIES 9

Camper_Jeff___K
Nomad II
Nomad II
3 tons wrote:
MikeJinCO wrote:
Our local motor rebuilder has had several modular block Fords in and thinks one of the major problems on the 3 valve motor is that the variable cam timing mechanisms can get all gummed up from either not changing oil or going to dealers for the super cheap oil changes with unknown oil quality. These new motors are very complex compared to the old small block Chevy or Ford.

Agree, staying with the factory spec oil is critical on any engine with variable cam phasers, else a valve failure can await...Fords 4.6 3 valve V8 is also is a candidate for spark plug failure... One would think that as many engines over the years that Ford has build they’d know how to rectify and this issue....My 07 Shelby ‘garage queen’ has only 10.8 k miles on the clock and the thought of a plug thread failure scares me...

Just to chime in on oil with these engines. When I replaced faulty head gaskets, another story, I discovered two hydraulic lifter like devices that place pressure against the nylon timing chain guides in the front right and left of the engine. Both were clogged closed with dirt or wear particles either from poor maintenance and not changing the oil at proper intervals, or not using the 5-30 weight oil FORD recommends. There is also a small orifice next to these hydraulic devices that is supposed to direct and spray oil on the timing chains and nylon chain guides. I suppose I was lucky my head gaskets failed or I wouldn't have found this timebomb of a problem in my engine to fix. My have saved me a bunch of other repair costs if it had failed. Change your oil regularly with these engines folks.

path1
Explorer
Explorer
By your profile... year model 2000. Looks like you might have the 2 piece plug? I have 2003 and it takes a regular one piece spark plug but still is known for spitting plugs out, because of very few threads. And not much psi to torque. While I've never had any problems with plugs and over 109,000 miles. (Sure does like coil over plugs though) I've often thought to keep plug from backing out by using some type of removable high temp (glue, thread sealer etc) something that has about 30 psi strength as if I recall right plug torque on mine is 12 or 15? Trying to see what temps the plug threads get to is another project all by itself. But thanks for posting, you've "sparked" (yes a play on words) my interest of trying to figure out a "fix". I hate be being broken down.
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
MikeJinCO wrote:
Our local motor rebuilder has had several modular block Fords in and thinks one of the major problems on the 3 valve motor is that the variable cam timing mechanisms can get all gummed up from either not changing oil or going to dealers for the super cheap oil changes with unknown oil quality. These new motors are very complex compared to the old small block Chevy or Ford.

Agree, staying with the factory spec oil is critical on any engine with variable cam phasers, else a valve failure can await...Fords 4.6 3 valve V8 is also is a candidate for spark plug failure... One would think that as many engines over the years that Ford has build they’d know how to rectify and this issue....My 07 Shelby ‘garage queen’ has only 10.8 k miles on the clock and the thought of a plug thread failure scares me...

MikeJinCO
Explorer
Explorer

Camper_Jeff___K
Nomad II
Nomad II
MitchF150 wrote:
Spark blow out was mostly on the 97-03 5.4 engines. Then Ford went to the 5.4 3v (3 valve) version and those had those really long, 2 piece plugs that would break if you tried to remove them after 100k miles..

Sounds like just a 'time-sert' fix.. Sure, a quick fix, and i've never had to do one, so no comment there.. Just what I've read on the interweb and, well... There you go..

Good luck!

Mitch

I like the simplicity of the fix I used, compared to all the other fix systems I've seen. No drilling or shavings to blow out, just a simple self tapping new seat in one easy step. Little chance of failure by running the new seat in to deep like other methods since this fix has a positive bottom out to stop at the correct depth. True, this fix applies to earlier than 2004 engines I believe. My brother has a newer FORD Exploder as he calls it. He had to do the spark plug removal tool trick of which you speak, 4 times. He also has exhaust manifold to head issues. He has a host of other fixes he's done or still has to do. Is there no safe haven from poorly or under engineered vehicles.

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
Spark blow out was mostly on the 97-03 5.4 engines. Then Ford went to the 5.4 3v (3 valve) version and those had those really long, 2 piece plugs that would break if you tried to remove them after 100k miles..

Sounds like just a 'time-sert' fix.. Sure, a quick fix, and i've never had to do one, so no comment there.. Just what I've read on the interweb and, well... There you go..

Good luck!

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

Camper_Jeff___K
Nomad II
Nomad II
ScottG wrote:
I would suggest doing them all at the same time.
A friends brother has been left stranded 3 times because he only has the hole fixed that failed.

I've watched a few videos by mechanics and several have stated they rarely see this happen to more than two cylinders. Still, I keep a kit with me just in case. The first time is when you exercise caution making the repair taking more time. The next time you can do the repair pretty fast and be on your way almost like nothing happened. My second repair took about 15 minutes.
Take care.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a f150 2005 with a 5.4 88k so far no problems. maybe mine doesn,t have a aluminum head.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I would suggest doing them all at the same time.
A friends brother has been left stranded 3 times because he only has the hole fixed that failed.