2006 Holiday Rambler Savoy 33SKT-40,000 trouble free miles-retired
2006 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired
2013 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired
89 REPLIES 89

hone_eagle
Explorer
Explorer
snowedin wrote:
My 2017 F150 just went through a hail storm and was amazed at how well the aluminum body fared in the storm. The hail shredded the vinyl siding on the house but can only find very small dimples in the F150. Damaged the F150, Yes, but not as bad as I thought it would. This storm was accompanied with 60 mph winds so the hail was attacking at an angle. The insurance adjuster comes today. Suppose a small dent is just as costly as a larger dent to repair but will find out when the adjuster comes. My 2014 went through a hail storm and the damage to the aluminum hood was the same as to the steel roof.

a tiny chunk of dry ice will often fix the hail damage ,never tried it on a aluminum body
2005 Volvo 670 singled freedomline 12 speed
Newmar 34rsks 2008
Hensley trailersaver TSLB2H
directlink brake controller

-when overkill is cheaper-

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
TTCrewmax wrote:
colliehauler wrote:
Now I'm confused, was it the Titan or the Tundra that had brake and rear differential issues?

It was the Titan. The 1st generation Tundra did have small brakes and a small rear diff - but generally were trouble free.

Trouble free except for maybe the frames that rotted into nothing.

Fordlover
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, it's definitely a Ram. I shared so we could see that steel bodies also can weaken in a fire. But powerdude expressed that burned out shells could be good as new by just repainting the body.

The article said he side swiped, which is more akin to knocking the mirror or swapping a bit of paint with vehicles parked on the side of the road.
2016 Skyline Layton Javelin 285BH
2018 F-250 Lariat Crew 6.2 Gas 4x4 FX4 4.30 Gear
2007 Infiniti G35 Sport 6 speed daily driver
Retired 2002 Ford Explorer 4.6 V8 4x4
Sold 2007 Crossroads Sunset Trail ST19CK

womps
Explorer
Explorer
womps wrote:
Fordlover wrote:
Powerdude wrote:
Hey, you can take those burned out steel shells, reinstall the hardware, paint them, and they'll be as good as new.

A friend of mine got a burned out door shell from a junkyard way back. He just reinstalled all the rubber and plastic parts, the glass, re-painted it, and it was fine !

Can't do that with an aluminum door.

Found a shell for you. The aluminum wheels didn't even melt.

Full disclosure, this truck hit 17 vehicles before bursting into flames..

source story

This truck looks like a Ram Quad cab not a Ford F-150! Truck hit 17 vehicles yet the front bumper structure is unharmed. Weird!

Yep, itโ€™s a Ram. Not an F150. Notice the angled left fender where the headlight assembly goes, Ram. Notice the mirror mounts, Ram. Notice the smaller rear doors, Ram. Notice the wheels, Ram. So if the aluminum wheels are the only thing that didnโ€™t melt then what does that say about Ford?

sgfrye
Explorer
Explorer
i didn't realize my 2018 f250 was aluminum till i tried to mount my portable, magnetic based backup camera on the tailgate. i was wondering why it wouldn't stick.

snowedin
Explorer
Explorer
My 2017 F150 just went through a hail storm and was amazed at how well the aluminum body fared in the storm. The hail shredded the vinyl siding on the house but can only find very small dimples in the F150. Damaged the F150, Yes, but not as bad as I thought it would. This storm was accompanied with 60 mph winds so the hail was attacking at an angle. The insurance adjuster comes today. Suppose a small dent is just as costly as a larger dent to repair but will find out when the adjuster comes. My 2014 went through a hail storm and the damage to the aluminum hood was the same as to the steel roof.

womps
Explorer
Explorer
Fordlover wrote:
Powerdude wrote:
Hey, you can take those burned out steel shells, reinstall the hardware, paint them, and they'll be as good as new.

A friend of mine got a burned out door shell from a junkyard way back. He just reinstalled all the rubber and plastic parts, the glass, re-painted it, and it was fine !

source story

This truck looks like a Ram Quad cab not a Ford F-150! Truck hit 17 vehicles yet the front bumper structure is unharmed. Weird!

Fordlover
Explorer
Explorer
Powerdude wrote:

source story
2016 Skyline Layton Javelin 285BH
2018 F-250 Lariat Crew 6.2 Gas 4x4 FX4 4.30 Gear
2007 Infiniti G35 Sport 6 speed daily driver
Retired 2002 Ford Explorer 4.6 V8 4x4
Sold 2007 Crossroads Sunset Trail ST19CK

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
TTCrewmax wrote:
colliehauler wrote:
Now I'm confused, was it the Titan or the Tundra that had brake and rear differential issues?

It was the Titan. The 1st generation Tundra did have small brakes and a small rear diff - but generally were trouble free.

X2, I owned one of those too.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

TTCrewmax
Explorer
Explorer
colliehauler wrote:

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
ol' yeller wrote:
Powerdude wrote:

Heat warps steel and also ruins the hardness of the steel. That's why you'd be hard pressed to find a good body shop that would use a burned part from a steel body for a repair. Also prior poster makes a good point about adhesives.

Somehow I think one would be replacing a lot more than some hardware to restore a total burned vehicle. Maybe in a vehicle that had a small fire but not one that was completely engulfed.

I see you are talking about just parts on the entire vehicle. In that case sure no problem.

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
colliehauler wrote:
Ron3rd wrote:
colliehauler wrote:
I have never seen a drivable truck after a major fire steel or aluminum so what difference does fire make?

X2. FORD'S getting the same treatment the 2007 Tundra 5.7 got when it first burst on the scene with class leading 381 hp and 401 ft lbs of torque. The Tundra dominated every towing shootout by every major magazine. It destroyed the badly outdated and underpowered F150 so completely that Ford, grasping at straws, launched their "fully boxed frame" campaign. Remember how they showed their frame did not flex and the Tundra'so frame so badly it had to be a "toy truck"? Ford's getting a taste of their own medicine!
Toyota had their growing pains as well, under sized brakes and rear differential if I remember correctly.

True. Then they came out with the second generation Tundra which had the biggest brakes and diff in its class
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
Hey Fordlover...THANKS for the post and video...too technical for most on this forum...give me a headache trying...

Also lost is the fact that most adhesives never stop hardening over time. More so if a catalyst is involved...to become brittle over time...

Ditto most metals...they become brittle over time...

It has been decades since college classes on metallurgy and strength of materials classes...laws of physics don't change...just new ones discovered all the time...though going down into the nano realm...they do change...
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...