cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ford F-250 7.3 Gas Engine Axle Ratios

TECMike
Explorer
Explorer
Is there much difference in towing milage, and around town/highway mileage with the new F-250 7.3 gas engine with rear gear options?

Considering 3.55 or 4.30 axles ratios. Any input is helpful.
55 REPLIES 55

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Now if a say, 1mpg difference is achievable over 100k miles, that is about 550 gallons and $1200 at current avg fuel prices.
So say 5 years or $240/year in fuel savings. Or $20/month. IF youโ€™re not towing. Taller gears wonโ€™t do any better towing.
I personally wouldnโ€™t sacrifice the best performance for 1-1/2 lunches at Taco time or 1 case of beer a month.
If you can afford that truck it doesnโ€™t matter. If you canโ€™t, then itโ€™s the wrong truck and you make bad financial decisions, so may as well have the most fun doing it!

And anecdotally, the next guy who buys your truck will be more apt to buy it or haggle less on price if heโ€™s getting the best performing package overall. So subtract that from your theoretical $1200 savings as well.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Hannibal wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
Iโ€™d say why would one spend $50-60k on a tow rig with the biggest engine and NOT get the best performance out of it with deep gears.
Not like itโ€™s winding up at highway speeds with the 10 speed.
Thatโ€™s like ordering a pepperoni pizza because you like pepperoni and opting for less pepperoni...

Fuel mileage is also part of the best performance factor. With a taller ratio, the transmission is less busy, especially with a ten speed. And thereโ€™s no logic in making the 1st two gears virtually useless unless youโ€™re going to be rock crawling. Makes more sense to have lower rpm at the top when not towing.
Less pepperoni is healthier.

Nah, bud.
If the first 2 gears were virtually useless except for rock crawling then 4wd trucks wouldnโ€™t have had low range transfer cases since the beginning of time and there would be NO need for diesels with 2.5x the torque as the gassers.
Now, around Tampa, I agree with you, however a new 7.3 10 speed , 4.30s runs right at 2000rpms at 70 mph.
If anything itโ€™s making better use of more gears more of the time compared to a tall geared truck. But what is the intended purpose? Towing, even some of the time, deeper gears preferable. Running bobtail across Montana every day at 100mph, Iโ€™d opt for the 3.55s.

Btw if extra ?? is going to hurt you, you have bigger health issues and shouldnโ€™t eat any at all!
Edit, the ?? Was a pepperoni pizza emoji! Lol

LanceRKeys
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
Do you need a 4.30 rear axle with 7.3 liter engine? Texas is far from the Rockies, Sierra and Appalachians.

Not all parts of Texas! I can be in the Rockies in a few hours.

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
Iโ€™d say why would one spend $50-60k on a tow rig with the biggest engine and NOT get the best performance out of it with deep gears.
Thatโ€™s like ordering a pepperoni pizza because you like pepperoni and opting for less pepperoni...

Fuel mileage is also part of the best performance factor. With a taller ratio, the transmission is less busy, especially with a ten speed. And thereโ€™s no logic in making the 1st two gears virtually useless unless youโ€™re going to be rock crawling. Makes more sense to have lower rpm at the top when not towing.
Less pepperoni is healthier.
2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'

TECMike
Explorer
Explorer
No question, the newer diesels are much more powerful and nicer than our old 2002 7.3 diesel.

I have been told, however, by diesel mechanics/technicians, to BE SURE to get a warranty of some type if I were to buy a newer used diesel three or four years old.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
TECMike wrote:
Thanks for the input, everyone. I would like to think old 7.3 diesel is in good shape. We keep good Bilstein shocks on it, Michelin tires, kept all the fluids changed and never abused it. Garage kept. Most of its life, and has been pulling trailers and highway use, but that are what diesels are engineered for. I probably won't wear it out; it will wear us out!

However, the 7.3 gas engine was engineered for simplicity, hard use, and built with HD parts, I read. I admire that. So it is certainly an option for us if we ever decide to part with our trusty "Bubba". Just wish reported MPG was better.

"Just wish reported MPG was better.", that is one of the reason that diesel pickups became popular. I have had three RAM/Cummins trucks and loved all three. The 2015 no longer has to work that hard pulling our 8K TT back and forth to Arizona. It was paid for before we got on the plane to go get it in Sept 2015, so there is not driving force to replace it with a new gasser that would cost more than we paid for the 2015. You might consider a low mileage diesel that is a few years old. These newer diesel are light years ahead of my old 2001.5 RAM and your 7.3 power stroke. I love my 3.42 gears. It is a freeway cruiser in 6th, yet towed the 16K 5th wheel just fine in 5th gear. In my book, the uconnect system in the RAM is heads and shoulders ahead of Ford's sync system. We have that in our 2020 Ford Edge ST, so I do have a comparison.

Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
After owning various trucks gas and diesel with ratios from 3.07 to 4.56, I wanted my current truck with 3.55. With the 10spd trans, I have eight gears for towing and a tall 10th for empty highway. Just my preference.
2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'

steve-n-vicki
Explorer
Explorer
I have 20,000 miles on my F350 single rear wheel 8 foot bed super crew, 373 gears, 7.3 gas engine
Empty taking it easy I can get 16 Mpg Highway, combined mileage between 14 and 15 towing my camper I average around 9.8, any questions just ask I will answer

TECMike
Explorer
Explorer
My 2002 SRW F-250 is a 4X2 also and has the twin I-beam suspension. Very tough and comfortable ride. However, I believe for safety, my next truck, if I buy one, will be a four wheel drive.

Friends of mine, who own them, tell me if you ever need 4WD one time to get you out of a jam, it will have paid for itself.

We love our old Ford 7.3 Powerstroke! Loud, but simple, dependable old truck. Cast iron block and cast iron heads, six head bolts per cylinder, external oil cooler and its injection system sourced from Caterpillar, from what I read.

But the amenities, comfort, and safety features of the new trucks sure are appealing. And the new Ford 7.3 gas engine seems to be built for toughness, simplicity and longevity, according to Ford's brochures.

I hope it is a great success for Ford.

Crespro
Explorer
Explorer
I have the 7.3 with the 4.30. I am very happy with that combination.

Because I tow a fifth wheel, I have the long bed with the 48 gallon gas tank. It is a good combination.

I bought the 4x2 for two reasons. DW likes the ride with the IFS -- very important. Plus, with the 4x2 and the 7.3, we have about 1,200# more available payload than the f-250 with the diesel. While the 6.7 diesel is a great engine, the 7.3 with the 4.30 is a better option for us. About 2,000 rpm at 65 mph. You would not want to be lower in rpm because you are then lower on the HP and torque charts.
Crespro 2021 Grand Design 310GK-R, 2020 F250LB, 7.3L, 4.30, Reese 27K

specta
Explorer
Explorer
theoldwizard1 wrote:

Personally, I would go with the 3.73 and electronic locking differential.

Me too.
Kenny
1996 Jayco 376FB Eagle Series TT
1997 Jayco 246FB Eagle Series TT
1976 Ford F-250 4wd Mercury Marauder 410 - 4V
Regular cabs. The best looking trucks.

blt2ski
The original non turbo 7.3 was designed as such in 80s. The T444E, a replacement for the I6 DT360, to compete with the C5.9 for longevity etc. Which it did. The idi7.3 had a lifespan of 100k miles, as it was designed also to compete price wise with the gadmotors GM and For had. When international decided to scrap building using gas motors. There is only like 3 parts that are the same between to two 73 diesel variants.
The 6.9 and first 7.3 shared more common parts. Both initially were gas blocks. Put a different crank, heads, intake, you have the diesel version vs gas.

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

TECMike
Explorer
Explorer
My hearing aids pick up the road and engine noise of our 7.3 diesel more these days. Hearing inside the cab to my bride of 57 years is more difficult. Some might say it is an advantage!

It is my understanding the 7.3 diesel engine (International 444T) was designed for International school buses and garbage trucks in the 80s. Perhaps that explains why kids used to come out with their school books when I pass down a street!

Considering this, it sure would be nice to have a quiet cab with upgrades that help with safer driving and towing, like lane change alerts, backup cameras and 360 degree cameras. Not to mention heated seats for my old bones!

The larger gas tank, if an option, would be something to consider.

spud1957
Explorer
Explorer
theoldwizard1 wrote:
TECMike wrote:
Is there much difference in towing milage, and around town/highway mileage with the new F-250 7.3 gas engine with rear gear options?

Considering 3.55 or 4.30 axles ratios. Any input is helpful.

The only transmission available is the new 10R140.

The 4.30 would be great for pulling stumps or towing over 10,000 lbs, but the fuel economy would not be very good. It depends if they can program the transmission to start in 3rd or even 4th with a light load (driver only).

Personally, I would go with the 3.73 and electronic locking differential.

3:73s are only available in the F350.
2018 F350 6.7 4x4 CCSB
2022 GD Reflection 337 RLS