cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ford F-250 7.3 Gas Engine Axle Ratios

TECMike
Explorer
Explorer
Is there much difference in towing milage, and around town/highway mileage with the new F-250 7.3 gas engine with rear gear options?

Considering 3.55 or 4.30 axles ratios. Any input is helpful.
55 REPLIES 55

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
kellem wrote:
One more element I might add regarding the new 10 spd transmission is you can lockout gears on the fly which is ideal for towing.

Can't you do that with any of the HD trans?
But yes it is a nice feature.

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
One more element I might add regarding the new 10 spd transmission is you can lockout gears on the fly which is ideal for towing.

NWnative
Explorer
Explorer
Get the 4.30's. Keeps the engine in it's sweet spot when towing / hauling. I chose the deeper gears with my gasser and am very happy with it. I get at or better mileage that my friends with the 3.73 axle as the engine doesn't have to work as hard to get things moving. Transmission holds gears and doesn't hunt or shift excessively at all. I am running the 6spd.
2019 Ford F250 Lariat CrewCab Short Bed 4x4 - 6.2 Gas w/4.30 Axle
2016 Airstream Flying Cloud 30RB / Blue Ox Sway Pro / Rock Tamers
2021 Mazda CX-9 Signature AWD

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
Thatโ€™s what mine does as well. When towing, it uses all gears. Weโ€™re out with it now.
2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'

steve-n-vicki
Explorer
Explorer
On my truck with the transmission in normal mode or economy mode it takes off in first gear skip second and goes to third and it skips fourth into fifth and then shifts the rest of the gears out

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
kellem wrote:
dodge guy wrote:
kellem wrote:
Bought my 7.3 gas strictly for towing our 30 ft trailer and the 3.55 gears doesn't acknowledge a trailer is in tow.

4.30, 3.73, 3.55....10spd makes them feel the same.
Tremor sitting on 35" tires, maybe 4.30 is justified. Imo

But how do you know different gears won't make a difference towing your trailer?

It would be marginal towing at only half the trucks capacity.

Exactly! But if towing more weight thatโ€™s when the deeper gears make a difference!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
kellem wrote:
Bought my 7.3 gas strictly for towing our 30 ft trailer and the 3.55 gears doesn't acknowledge a trailer is in tow.

But how do you know different gears won't make a difference towing your trailer?

It would be marginal towing at only half the trucks capacity.

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
kellem wrote:

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

A bad day camping is

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
Del

TECMike
Explorer
Explorer
For those you who own a new 7.3 gas F-250 or F-350, and are towing tag-along travel tailers and fifth wheels, would appreciate your sharing any information on your gas mileage when towing.

Thanks in advance for your help and advice.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
PastorCharlie wrote:
I prefer my 2000 F350 7.3 diesel DRW to my son's 2017 F350 diesel DRW truck. His is a very great truck and does a great job towing.

The difference is my truck pulls in overdrive where his will drop out of overdrive. So the gears will be either matched in the trans or diff. His truck running empty with two passengers does 70 MPH at 1,900 RPMs. His truck has 440 HP. My truck with two passengers does 70 MPH at 2,400 RPMs. My truck has 235 HP.

The 7.3 diesels can be chipped to increase their HP and Torque without harming the engine if not done so excessively. Perhaps a 50-100 HP increase. A school bus and garbage truck does not need 440 HP therefore the 7.3 is detuned to fit the intended use. Who has ever seen a school bus or garbage truck burning rubber?

My 1987 Jeep Wrangler with two passenger does 75 MPH at 1,900 RPMs.

Credit where itโ€™s due for the OG Powerstroke, but the 2017 is double OD and the new 10 speed is triple OD.
And not a chance that apples to apples an old 7.3 will pull a load in 4th gear that a 2017 6.7 will drop to 4th doing the same.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

kellem
Explorer
Explorer

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
PastorCharlie wrote:
I prefer my 2000 F350 7.3 diesel DRW to my son's 2017 F350 diesel DRW truck. His is a very great truck and does a great job towing.

The difference is my truck pulls in overdrive where his will drop out of overdrive. So the gears will be either matched in the trans or diff. His truck running empty with two passengers does 70 MPH at 1,900 RPMs. His truck has 440 HP. My truck with two passengers does 70 MPH at 2,400 RPMs. My truck has 235 HP.

The 7.3 diesels can be chipped to increase their HP and Torque without harming the engine if not done so excessively. Perhaps a 50-100 HP increase. A school bus and garbage truck does not need 440 HP therefore the 7.3 is detuned to fit the intended use. Who has ever seen a school bus or garbage truck burning rubber?

Your sons 2017 has two overdrive gears so most likely it pulls in overdrive as well.

As for burning rubber that is controlled by your right foot so you don't have to if you don't want to.

Every once in a while I drive our 2002 7.3 PSD truck and there's no way I would ever go back to one even if they were offered as a brand new truck.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

PastorCharlie
Explorer
Explorer

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
As I have said with a 10 speed the mileage difference will be minuscule! If you plan on towing anything, always go with the lowest gear available. Makes no sense to saddle a truck designed for towing with a higher gear.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

A bad day camping is