cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ford F250 frame hold downs?

artburg
Explorer
Explorer
Anybody besides Torklift make hold downs? Its all I see for frame mounted.
13 REPLIES 13

artburg
Explorer
Explorer
I actually bought the front Torklift F2007 front hold downs on Ebay from a seller that had Best Offer option.Agreed on$376.99. When they arrived the box was damaged and some pieces had damaged power coating. Contacted seller and they credited me $65.18 back.A real bargain

Bedlam
With Torklift, you are buying a US made product with life time warranty. There are cheaper pre-made options but lack the support or are imported to cover the discount. The least expensive option is to build something yourself if you have the time, skills and location to do so. You will be your own quality setter by selecting the engineering, materials and workmanship.

I know I enjoy some projects and others not so much. Consider how much fun you have building verses camping since time is something you will never be able buy back.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

notsobigjoe
Nomad III
Nomad III
ticki2 wrote:
You can also use an old style belly bar if it doesnโ€™t interfere with anything under the frame like exhaust or drive shaft . Given you use the right size material they are very strong . The down side is they are always there sticking out . You can make them short and use removable inserts . Keep in mind that with either Torklift or belly bar you are more likely to rip out the attachment on the camper long before either of them fail .

Yeah, since the conversation has already taken a turn I'll jump in. Belly bar, 25 bucks, welder 50 bucks, hardware 30 bucks, fast guns were the expensive part. Been that way since 2009. Everything from Torklift is overpriced because they own the market.

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
artburg wrote:
When did I complain of the price?
I was asking because I wasn't too impressed with the welds and how loose the outter part fits into frame mounted section.

Notice I said "assume."

That's USUALLY the complaint. Never heard anyone criticize the build quality of a Torklift product before. Have you even seen one up close?

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

ticki2
Explorer
Explorer
You can also use an old style belly bar if it doesnโ€™t interfere with anything under the frame like exhaust or drive shaft . Given you use the right size material they are very strong . The down side is they are always there sticking out . You can make them short and use removable inserts . Keep in mind that with either Torklift or belly bar you are more likely to rip out the attachment on the camper long before either of them fail .
'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
artburg wrote:
I was asking because I wasn't too impressed with the welds and how loose the outter part fits into frame mounted section.

Loose is good once you have a bit of corrosion from salt etc. The tiedown and mounts are under spring tension as well. I had the steel ones for 8 1/2 years and have had the aluminum ones for 7 1/2 years. Both sets worked fine for me with my 4000+ TC.

As far as the welds go, they warranty all that they sell and have great customer service, so in the event something failed, they stand behind it.

But, they are the only option unless you want to build or have someone else build you a set.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

artburg
Explorer
Explorer
mkirsch wrote:
artburg wrote:

No. It's not enough of a market to be a "cheaper" alternative to Torklift. That's what I assume you're asking about, really. You're balking at the cost of the Torklift tiedowns and want something less expensive.

Heck I only paid $2000 for my camper and I went with Torklifts even though they cost over 1/3 what I spent on the camper at the time. They're there if and when I upgrade. Install could not have been easier, and they work great.

When did I complain of the price?

abom2
Explorer
Explorer
I initially tried the Brophy bed mounts. TC is only 2k with fluids. Had quite a bit of movement/walking around bed.

Might be the 2500 HD Off road suspencion.

Anyway, had emergency stop scenario. New brakes worked great. Truck hopped some. TC was a bit catty wompus in back.

Bit the bullet. Ordered Torklift. It does ride differently. Seems to be less bounce.

Before I was slowing down to 5, maybe 10 mph at all RR crossing or poor bridge transitions.

Still slowing down out of caution, but vehicle bounce and roll feels much less and I no longer cringe.

May be because movement is transferred to frame. IDK

I am happy with the Torklift. The Brophy tie down will be repurposed to holding storage cylinders for tackle, etc.

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
artburg wrote:

No. It's not enough of a market to be a "cheaper" alternative to Torklift. That's what I assume you're asking about, really. You're balking at the cost of the Torklift tiedowns and want something less expensive.

Heck I only paid $2000 for my camper and I went with Torklifts even though they cost over 1/3 what I spent on the camper at the time. They're there if and when I upgrade. Install could not have been easier, and they work great.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
jimh406 wrote:
I donโ€™t know why you donโ€™t want frame mounted tiedowns since many manufacturers recommend them, but Brophy and HappiJac make tiedowns.

Who said he didnโ€™t want frame tie downs?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
The Torklift options are heavy duty, well designed and should last and last. Another option is to design and build your own. That can be fairly easy or extremely difficult depending on the specific truck.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
I donโ€™t know why you donโ€™t want frame mounted tiedowns since many manufacturers recommend them, but Brophy and HappiJac make tiedowns.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

Slymer
Explorer
Explorer
Not that I am aware of. I have Torklifts and I am pretty sure they are drill free mounting on our 2011 F350. They have held up well for 8 years now.