cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ford posts videos of winter testing of their Electric F150.

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
40 REPLIES 40

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
Mike134 wrote:
As an Electrician I'm looking forward to it for how much work it will generate (no pun intended). Ever notice there are at most 6-8 charging stations at a location? Partially because of demand but mainly because that building and all the other buildings do not have the electrical capacity to have more stations. It will be a huge undertaking to increase capacity. California now has rolling blackouts during the summer guess what happens when all the commuter cars plug-in at 6PM?

I think youโ€™ll be busy. We live in a Townhouse so we had both our 14-50 plug and our hardwired 12 amp 240 station installed by a qualified electrician like yourself. He did a great job, was reasonable priced and now we recommend them to all the new EV owners we come in contact with in our town. I would say about half of the new owners just stay with 120 volts from a normal 15 amp socket. For many thatโ€™s all they need as they are just commuting. We did that for a few years. But now we make unexpected longer trips and a full overnight charge is handy if headed out for a longer trip the next day.

Hope you make lots of money.

Cheers.

Mike134
Explorer
Explorer
As an Electrician I'm looking forward to it for how much work it will generate (no pun intended). Ever notice there are at most 6-8 charging stations at a location? Partially because of demand but mainly because that building and all the other buildings do not have the electrical capacity to have more stations. It will be a huge undertaking to increase capacity. California now has rolling blackouts during the summer guess what happens when all the commuter cars plug-in at 6PM?
2019 F150 4X4 1903 payload
2018 Adventurer 21RBS 7700 GVWR.

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
free radical wrote:
Reisender wrote:
Looks like fun. Woohoo.

https://electrek.co/2020/12/22/ford-f150-electric-pickup-prototype-winter-testing-snow/Looks like fun. Woohoo.

Cool bring it on.
Btw
What is the range?
How much load can it pull,carry ?
Where will you recharge it drivin cross country?
How long is battery guaranteed for?

Is the body stronger then Tesla stainles steel?

Unless it beats Tesla in all these specs it
Doesnt have much of a chance against Cybrtrk imo

Unfortunately I have none of those answers. Think weโ€™ll have to wait till 2022 to find out. :).

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer
Reisender wrote:
Looks like fun. Woohoo.

https://electrek.co/2020/12/22/ford-f150-electric-pickup-prototype-winter-testing-snow/Looks like fun. Woohoo.

Cool bring it on.
Btw
What is the range?
How much load can it pull,carry ?
Where will you recharge it drivin cross country?
How long is battery guaranteed for?

Is the body stronger then Tesla stainles steel?

Unless it beats Tesla in all these specs it
Doesnt have much of a chance against Cybrtrk imo

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting bit of scientific trivia
The
Trees are out to get you :B

https://youtu.be/-PWMQR59M68

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer
ppine wrote:
Along with electric vehicles will come the switch to Green Energy.
Solar, wind, tidal, hydro etc.
The oil and gas industry will be in decline. The use of coal continues to decline.
Mining will still be required to support electric vehicles.
Diesel engines will gain in popularity over gas engines, because biodiesel can be produced from many different sources, including algae.

Biodiesel dont work in cold weather.
Id think propane or LNG would be better,cleaner or ethanol methanol,maybe?

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer
pigman1 wrote:

Exaggeration??? Of course it is, but you tell me how you control when charging is mandated in low demand times? Rules? Yeah that'll work, ha ha, everyone always follows the rules. Timers? Everyone has different needs and who coordinates that?? California has rolling brownouts now, remember. Just a whole new bureaucracy to schedule things. Full of GS employees? Yeah, the government works efficiently now, right? Ideas are great and cheap, Tell me the details on how it works. We can't even pass a Covid relief bill.

We wouldnt need Covid relief if president took the Virus seriously in the first place and mandated everyone to wear protective masks to prevent spread of Covid

China did that and stoped the Cvirus in three months,
Same w Japan and S.K and most Asian countries,
but then PRC has engineers runin the show,,not some ex tv personality Lol

https://youtu.be/A3SbhDZtFsk

Electricity travels at speed o light so if Cali is short,
Id imagine it should be able to import power from Arizona or wherever the Solar farms generate excess power.

Cooperation doesnt it exist anymore?

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
pigman1 wrote:
Oh, so not only will the government mandate that I need to drive an electric vehicle, it'll tell me when I can recharge it. ie: got home from work and plugged in, but my charger won't work until 5-7AM. Need a loaf of bread? Too bad no charge, so walk. Have to get to the ER because I cut my hand? Too bad . . . Wrap it up, no power, no car.

Yeah, that'll work real well. Uh-huh!

It won't be govt mandates but on the fly pricing changes from the utility companies. Power from say 5-8pm will be very high because that's typically the peak demand period and solar is producing nothing. Late night will likely be cheaper and if solar continues to grow mid day will be cheap. It's up to you when you want to charge.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
pigman1 wrote:
Oh, so not only will the government mandate that I need to drive an electric vehicle, it'll tell me when I can recharge it. ie: got home from work and plugged in, but my charger won't work until 5-7AM. Need a loaf of bread? Too bad no charge, so walk. Have to get to the ER because I cut my hand? Too bad . . . Wrap it up, no power, no car.

It won't be govt mandates but on the fly pricing changes from the utility companies. Power from say 5-8pm will be very high because that's typically the peak demand period and solar is producing nothing. Late night will likely be cheaper and if solar continues to grow mid day will be cheap. It's up to you when you want to charge.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
pigman1 wrote:

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
pigman1 wrote:

It won't be govt mandates but on the fly pricing changes. Power from say 5-8pm will be very high because that's typically the peak demand period and solar is producing nothing. Late night will likely be cheaper and if solar continues to grow mid day will be cheap. It's up to you when you want to charge.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
pigman1 wrote:
Reisender wrote:
pigman1 wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:

PS: when we talk about electricity production there is good and bad with EVs. Actual production will need to increase but production facilities (power plants) may not need to expand as much. Much can be done by charging when demand is low increasing the utilization of the power plants. For most practical purposes solar/wind are just a different type of power plant...though currently causing a lot of issues to the grid. Widespread EVs can mitigate that to a large degree because they can absorb excess demand when it's a sunny/windy day. In the long run, if those vehicles can feed back power into the grid, it could even drop the baseline power plant capability needed.

Too funny. Exaggerate much? What your describing happens no where. And there is no reason to believe it ever will.

I see various government mandates to end tail pipe sales on light vehicles as closing the barn door after the horses are out. In 20 years no one is going to want to buy a clunky old stinky, high maintenance, low performance car or truck that runs on gas and that you canโ€™t fill up at home.
Exaggeration??? Of course it is, but you tell me how you control when charging is mandated in low demand times? Rules? Yeah that'll work, ha ha, everyone always follows the rules. Timers? Everyone has different needs and who coordinates that?? California has rolling brownouts now, remember. Just a whole new bureaucracy to schedule things. Full of GS employees? Yeah, the government works efficiently now, right? Ideas are great and cheap, Tell me the details on how it works. We can't even pass a Covid relief bill.

"tell me how you control when charging is mandated in low demand times?"

It is actually quite easy. Just make it part of the building code. No different than a separate meter for A/C that can be turned off during high demand periods.

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
pigman1 wrote:
Reisender wrote:
pigman1 wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:

PS: when we talk about electricity production there is good and bad with EVs. Actual production will need to increase but production facilities (power plants) may not need to expand as much. Much can be done by charging when demand is low increasing the utilization of the power plants. For most practical purposes solar/wind are just a different type of power plant...though currently causing a lot of issues to the grid. Widespread EVs can mitigate that to a large degree because they can absorb excess demand when it's a sunny/windy day. In the long run, if those vehicles can feed back power into the grid, it could even drop the baseline power plant capability needed.

Too funny. Exaggerate much? What your describing happens no where. And there is no reason to believe it ever will.

I see various government mandates to end tail pipe sales on light vehicles as closing the barn door after the horses are out. In 20 years no one is going to want to buy a clunky old stinky, high maintenance, low performance car or truck that runs on gas and that you canโ€™t fill up at home.

Your assuming it will be a problem. Most utilities are not predicting any problems accommodating the extra load on the grid. One state is not an indication of any world wide shortage of power. Electric vehicles don't use that much power. Most utilities are anticipating having to add 1/2 to one percent per year of capacity over the next three decades.

Incentives by power companies to charge at certain times will be part of the future, its already happening in some places. However there is nothing stopping one from charging during peak rates.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
And fwiw, I see the value in EVs. Actually considered one but it does not pan out economically yet. Not even close.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold