cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Four Oil Changes (diesel) for $220 Worked Out Fine

JRS___B
Explorer
Explorer
In February I needed my oil changed before heading back to Michigan. The Florida Dodge dealer sold me a plan for four oil changes for $220. And I have 2 years to use up the prepaid services.

Well, I was due for another oil change a couple weeks back and I took my truck to my Michigan dealer. The service shows up as "warranty work". No cost, no tax, no shop materials.

At $55 out the door I will never change my own oil again.

I think they might do this deal for non Dodge products, but I would double check to be sure.
19 REPLIES 19

Wes_Tausend
Explorer
Explorer

Someone mentioned to make sure that a chassis lube is included. While that is usually not a time consuming additional task once up on the rack, my old 4x4 F-250 Ford, with Delco ball joints, makes it harder.

Unlike the OEM joints, the replacement Ford ball joints have, and need zerks, or rather would have zerks. Since the top ball joints ride close to the spinning axle u-joints, there appears to be insufficient clearance for a zerk. Therefore the top joints have a small threaded plug in them. To grease them, the plug must be removed (5/16" wrench I think) and the grease somehow injected in the small 3/16" hole.

It takes a special curved/pointed "greaser tip" to get a good seal and force grease to fully surround the ball stud (feeds from the bottom up). All this takes extra time and I've seen service jockeys routinely skip this nuisance before, unless the customer is very insistent.

Has anyone found a low-profile, 90ยฐ zerk that clears the u-joint in upper 4x4 Ford ball joints?

Wes
Days spent camping are not subtracted from one's total.
- 2019 Leprechaun 311FS Class C
- Linda, Wes and Quincy the Standard Brown Poodle

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
I've seen those deals before, and have purchased them myself. My biggest gripe with the dealer oil changes is that even with their "express lane", the oil changes still take 3 times as long as they would at a quick lube type shop
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

JRS___B
Explorer
Explorer
Yep. Shell-Rotella . That is a good price you get. No doubt about it.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
JRS & B wrote:
I believe most all Dodge dealers use a MOPAR brand of oil. I don't know who makes it for them.

The Dodge Dealer I just got oil change at for $49 used Rotella
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

JRS___B
Explorer
Explorer
Shredding some old documents. MOPAR oil appears to be a Shell Oil Product. Found my old receipt from Tarpon Springs Dodge. Oil change and filter, inc. tax, $124.98.

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just about every brand/dealer has some sort of oil change special and are almost always cheaper than you can buy the parts/materials yourself. They use this as a loss leader to sell other work. Once the car is in the air they will look for other work to sell you, including the "60,000 mile check up" for $299+.

I don't disagree with the approach because fixing worn parts before they break is always easier than having them break on the road, especially when you are towing. Just be careful of what you're buying...

Also ask if the oil change includes a lube if you have greaseable fittings on ball joins, tie rod ends, etc.

JRS___B
Explorer
Explorer
I believe most all Dodge dealers use a MOPAR brand of oil. I don't know who makes it for them.

JRS___B
Explorer
Explorer
I do not have any problem paying $75 for an oil change and filter. It's not worth the extra $20 or so for me to do it myself at my age.

Just hate to pay through the nose. My local, non-dealer, independent shop uses a synthetic blend oil for diesels, which is a good thing, but even there the cost is $110.

MARKW8
Explorer
Explorer
wintersun wrote:
I would not use the oil used by my GM dealer. If you got Valvoline Premium Blue motor oil then you did get a good deal.

What oil does your dealer use?

Mark

Bamaman11
Explorer
Explorer
My PowerStroke uses 15 quarts @ $3.00 each (dino) and a $10 filter--$55 total cost. I usually buy Motorcraft oil as three five quart bottles work better. Non-Ford oils will be 3 four quart jugs plus 3 individual quart bottles--and inherently more expensive.

Sometimes changing my own oil is the quietest, most relaxing time of my very busy week--just watching the oil drip.

Four oil changes @ $220 would be great if your truck uses 15 quarts per oil change--like mine.

wintersun
Explorer
Explorer
I would not use the oil used by my GM dealer. If you got Valvoline Premium Blue motor oil then you did get a good deal.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
JRS & B wrote:
I think I remember seeing 12 quarts mentioned somewhere. Freightliners need not apply.
Nope. My last service was 5 gallons and $350.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Local Dodge dealer does oil/filter change on my truck for $49 plus tax
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

JRS___B
Explorer
Explorer
retispcsi - The operative word is "usually". Tarpon Springs FL dealer was pretty darn set in their mind that special deals are for special customers who purchased their vehicle from them. If you didn't purchase your vehicle from them, you pay list price.