cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fox Landing on an older Arctic Fox 990

homefor2
Explorer
Explorer
I stopped by the dealer today to look at the Fox Landing on a new camper. The difference between the bumper on the new camper and my bumper (2007 - 990) seemed to be the bracing underneath. Everything else on the bumper looked the same. I didn't get a chance to measure the width of the bumper so I wonder if anyone with the Fox Landing could tell me the width of the bumper on the top of the flat surface where you step. My bumper is 8 and 3/8ths inches wide. Thanks
1998 Carriage Conestoga 3742
27 REPLIES 27

roxford
Explorer
Explorer
FWIW...
I too am wanting to add a Fox Landing to an older (2011) AF 811 and was disappointed to hear the bumper it came with would not support it.

I called the factory, got all the details on the differences on the bumpers and they referred me to my local dealer for purchase. I called and they said it would cost $3800 for the retro-fit onto my rig. That included a new bumper, the Landing & steps and the labor for the install.

$4000 for some steps? Nope.

What I learned (so far):
The primary differences is the reinforcing inside the bumper as posted by the other contributor (sorry, can't recall who, but thanks!) AND the significantly longer and larger "wings" that connect to the TC frame underneath.

Here's a pic of the bumper I bought sitting on a pallet:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/FIVGB7MgKIbbepo63

Note that those "wings" are a lot longer and taller than the older bumper style.

UNBELIEVABLY, I found this used bumper off a newer AF on CraigsList that was designed to support the Fox Landing right in my backyard (OK, on the other side of the state actually) for $200.

The give-away is the larger "wings" and the pre-drilled holes in the front of the bumper.

Here's a shot of the current/original bumper on my 2011 AF 811 as it's installed today:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/psKL3byXSPTZro8C3

I have yet to install it, but am hoping to do so in the next 30 days. I plan on calling the dealer or factory back to see what they recommend for bolts. REALLY hoping to get away with Grade 8 lags and lock washers.

Will update the thread as work progresses!

Good luck and happy camping!
2011 Arctic Fox 811
2001 Ford F250, airbags, superhitch, etc.

RICKIM
Explorer III
Explorer III

This is it folded up for travel.
Don't hesitate to ask if you need more info.

Good Luck,
Rick
2018 AF1140DB, 400W solar, Trimetric, Lifeline GPL-31XT’s, rear deck,
2019 5500 Ram Crew, DRW, 6.7L-CTD, Custom TC bed, on board air, Front Rack

gbsb
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2008 Arctic Fox 990 on a F450 Ford flatbed with a custom made Aluminum flat bed, this set up is nice but sets high. When we first got the rig it had the scissor steps on it, very scary for a old fart with bad knees. I put a back porch (30 inches X 60 inches) on supported with chains I then put a set of steps off a 5th wheel under the porch, bolted up nice and folds out off the way. I also pull a trailer with our Harley TriGlide on it. The steps clear the hitch and the only problem we have had is when we left the steps out and took off, We stopped at the next RV dealer and bought a new set of steps and installed them in the parking lot. We are on the Route 66 from Chicago to La and having a good time Left San Antonio Texas on April 15th and after visiting friends and family are half way through, 3100 miles so far and all is good. We will be in Amarillo Tx for a few weeks . If any body is threw this way let us know and we can meet for coffee.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
I sure would like to do something with my bumper/step situation.

I went ATK off the bumper a few years ago and have a battle scar to prove it.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

homefor2
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like a nice option. Makes my wheels turn and think about other options that don't break the bank.

MORSNOW
Navigator
Navigator
RICKIM wrote:
Are you dead set on a Fox Landing?

I made this for about $500.00 out of aluminum stock and stainless fasteners, PVC decking and it only weighs about 100lbs.
It folds up for travel or I can leave down if need be.
It's 2' x 6' and and affords you more room on the back of your rig.

Just figured I'd throw it out there and give you another option...
Good luck,
Rick

Excellent idea RICKIM! I always have a trailer in tow so the Fox Landing with the step off to the side allowed me to keep the trailer attached while in use. Your platform could work also as long as it clears the hitch.
2014 Wolf Creek 850SB
2012 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD 7,220# Truck/10,400# Camper Fully Loaded

RICKIM
Explorer III
Explorer III
Are you dead set on a Fox Landing?

I made this for about $500.00 out of aluminum stock and stainless fasteners, PVC decking and it only weighs about 100lbs.
It folds up for travel or I can leave down if need be.
It's 2' x 6' and and affords you more room on the back of your rig.

Just figured I'd throw it out there and give you another option...
Good luck,
Rick
2018 AF1140DB, 400W solar, Trimetric, Lifeline GPL-31XT’s, rear deck,
2019 5500 Ram Crew, DRW, 6.7L-CTD, Custom TC bed, on board air, Front Rack

mooring_product
Explorer
Explorer
I install boat lifts for a living and do boarding platforms onto decks. Not sure this link works but its a picture from my Facebook page showing a 36"x36" aluminum one. It folds up onto the dock so you don't scratch your boat.

I'm thinking about making one to bolt to my lance. Maybe a 24" x length of the bumper and run some cables to the jacks for extra support. It would fold up when towing.

Boarding
Pete
2012 RAM 3500 Mega DRW. Stable Loads and Torklift tiedowns.
2006 Lance 881 Max.

Nukengineer
Explorer
Explorer
I recently purchased a 2011 AF1150 with the smaller bumper and wanted to add the Fox Landing without going to the new style bumper. First, I looked at using a 4" x 4' x 0.25" piece of stainless as a backer inside the bumper. My old style bumper has rivets that fasten the bottom of the bumper to the rear part and these interfered with a piece 4" wide. I also became concerned with the potential of the back of the bumper to droop down with the Landing attached and me standing on it.
I ended up with a piece of 6" aluminum angle by 36" long (ordered from an on-line metal outfit). It's 1/2" thick. I bolted the Landing to the angle, then bolted the angle to the top of the bumper via the mid-step bolts. I also used three pieces of 36" x 1/2" x 1/8" aluminum to shim between the angle and the bottom, back edge of the bumper. These keep the Landing bolt heads from digging into the back face of the bumper and, it spreads out the load. The landing is not completely rigid but works OK with my 260#s!
(Edit; angle is 6", not 8")

homefor2
Explorer
Explorer
805gregg wrote:
Probably costs way more than it's worth

Depends on how many times you fall down lousy stairs. Also DW has a full knee replacement and I have arthritis in both knees. Could make a big difference to us.

805gregg
Explorer
Explorer
Probably costs way more than it's worth
2003 Dodge Quad Cab 3500 SRW LB Cummins diesel, Banks Six Gun, Banks exhaust, Mag hytec deep trans pan, and Diff cover. Buckstop bumper, Aerotanks 55gal tank, airbags, stableloads Bigwig stabilizer, 2003 Lance 1071 camper, solar and generator

joeshmoe
Explorer
Explorer
homefor2 wrote:
My local AF dealer and Northwood both told me people have added the Fox Landing to the older bumpers after reinforcing the bumper similar to the new one. I'm probably going to give this method a shot as buying the new bumper is not an option for me. If I do this I will document with pictures and post here.

I see no reason why you couldn't. That's why I posted the pics.
I would definitely use a sufficient amount of backing plate. The bumper alone is pretty thin material. If you just through-bolted it without any backing, it would likely eventually bend, loosen and with enough use, break.

If you notice, they angled the plate at the top to get support from the top of the bumper as well. Something to keep in mind.

Look forward to seeing whatever you come up with.
2014 Northwood Wolf Creek 850
2005 Ford F350 SRW SuperCab/LongBed 6.0 Powerstroke
QuickTrick's Towing Tune
Torklift Tie Downs/Fastguns/Upper/Lower Stableloads
Rancho 9000's

homefor2
Explorer
Explorer
My local AF dealer and Northwood both told me people have added the Fox Landing to the older bumpers after reinforcing the bumper similar to the new one. I'm probably going to give this method a shot as buying the new bumper is not an option for me. If I do this I will document with pictures and post here.

kerry4951
Explorer
Explorer
I checked into upgrading right after the Fox Landing came out. Northwood stated no problem upgrading the new bumper to any of their existing older TCs. But you needed the new bumper and the landing and both together installed were around $2000 by the dealer. I decided to keep my Glow Steps and Glow Guide.
2009 Silverado 3500 dually D/A, Supersprings, Stable Loads, Bilsteins, Hellwig Sway Bar.
2010 Arctic Fox 1140 DB, 220 watts solar, custom 4 in 1 "U" shaped dinette/couch, baseboard and Cat 3 heat, 2nd dinette TV, cabover headboard storage, 67 TC mods