cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fresh water problem

Miss_Sunshine
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2014 crossroads sunset trail. It’s new to us. I have sanitized and flushed the fresh water at least 4 times. I still have a very strong sulfur small. I use household bleach in the recommended concentration. I use my house water which does not smell like sulfur. It is softened and I run a Super S system which removes any trace of FeSO4. Anyone know what’s wrong or how to fix it?
27 REPLIES 27

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
ksg5000 wrote:
If it smells when you fill up at home and not when you use other sources then you know what the issue is.

I told the OP that back on page 2:

Bobbo wrote:
If the water from the campground "seems ok" but the water from your well doesn't, you have your answer.

That is apparently not what he wants to hear.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Miss Sunshine wrote:
I don’t trust that it’s safe to wash dishes. I’ll sanitize again when I get home.

Might just want to find a safe space if this is concerning to you?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
If it smells when you fill up at home and not when you use other sources then you know what the issue is.
Kevin

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
StirCrazy wrote:
what button are you talking about? I am not sure even if i have this button how it would back flow up hill.

Without being there to point, I don't know how to tell you other than the button is in the middle of the backflow preventer. As far as water flowing uphill, I doubt that the shore water inlet is higher than the showerhead. Open the showerhead valve to vent the pipes, and water will backflow. My kitchen faucet is higher than my shore water inlet, so I can open my kitchen faucet for that.

(That is also how I get RV antifreeze into that section of piping.)
Bobbo and Lin

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
Bobbo wrote:
StirCrazy wrote:
how are you sanatizing,just putting it the city water conection or putting it in the tank fill? Are you runing off your fresh water tank or are you hooking up to city water when it smells?

I had it when I was hooked up to city water it would taste/smell funny but when I used the onboard tank it would be fine. my sanatize process was using the fresh water tank as the source so it never got that bit bettween the city atachment and the water pump , so now I sanatize both ways.

Steve

After filling all of the lines with the bleach solution, open a faucet to relieve all of the pressure. Then, and only then, go around and push on the button in the middle of the shore water inlet and bleach water will backflow out of it so it gets sanitized too. BE SURE THE PRESSURE IS RELIEVED FIRST OR YOU WILL DAMAGE THE BACKFLOW PREVENTER!

what button are you talking about? I am not sure even if i have this button how it would back flow up hill.

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
kellem wrote:
The city water hookup is such a tiny minuscule section of line, can't imagine the need to sanitize or the cause of any unpleasant odors. Idk

neither could I, but on mine it did.

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
The city water hookup is such a tiny minuscule section of line, can't imagine the need to sanitize or the cause of any unpleasant odors. Idk

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
StirCrazy wrote:
how are you sanatizing,just putting it the city water conection or putting it in the tank fill? Are you runing off your fresh water tank or are you hooking up to city water when it smells?

I had it when I was hooked up to city water it would taste/smell funny but when I used the onboard tank it would be fine. my sanatize process was using the fresh water tank as the source so it never got that bit bettween the city atachment and the water pump , so now I sanatize both ways.

Steve

After filling all of the lines with the bleach solution, open a faucet to relieve all of the pressure. Then, and only then, go around and push on the button in the middle of the shore water inlet and bleach water will backflow out of it so it gets sanitized too. BE SURE THE PRESSURE IS RELIEVED FIRST OR YOU WILL DAMAGE THE BACKFLOW PREVENTER!
Bobbo and Lin

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

Miss_Sunshine
Explorer
Explorer
No, I’m using softened water.

donut_dave
Explorer
Explorer
yup. that's what it is. the outside hoses are usually hooked up to bypass the water softener as mine outside spigots do.

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
Bobbo wrote:
If the water from the campground "seems ok" but the water from your well doesn't, you have your answer.

Yep. And in my old house my water softener was plumbed so that the outside water garden bibs weren't softened .... if house is similarly plumbed it's possible that he's filling his rig with unsoftened water
Kevin

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
wing_zealot wrote:
You need to drain the hot water tank after every trip and leave it empty until the next trip; otherwise the smell will come back.

If that were true, then the fresh water tank would also have to be drained until the next trip. Fresh water sitting in the water heater is no different than fresh water sitting in the fresh water tank. For the last 13 years, I have not drained the water heater except when winterizing in November and not had a problem.

Now, considering the OP's water supply is from a well, it may very well be necessary to drain both between trips. We don't know what is in their water that may be growing. That water is not chlorinated to kill stuff.
Bobbo and Lin

wing_zealot
Explorer
Explorer
You need to drain the hot water tank after every trip and leave it empty until the next trip; otherwise the smell will come back.