cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

fresh water tank bracing bending down

prairiequad
Explorer
Explorer
hello; I'm a newbie just purchased a 2017 forest river pull behind trailer and found the fresh water tank brackets bending. is this a common problem or recalls with any makes ?
thankyou
9 REPLIES 9

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
I'd say this is a common problem with most makes. How serious varies. My solution was pretty easy and worked well for me.

I cut several pieces of 3/4" plywood that I could slide underneath the empty tank and above the angle support to brace the bottom of the tank.

The I screwed through the rail into the plywood to capture the plywood. Just use screws that don't go through the plywood.

then in several spots I screwed 1" wide 3/16" flat stock into the rails so the flat stock replaced the thin bands.

This supports the water tank well.

If you don't have clearance to install 3/4" plywood, use thinner if possible and if no room at all, use 1 1/2 or 2" 3/16 angle iron in multiple places screwed into th the rails. In fact you could sandwich plywood between the rails and the angle iron. The plywood distributes the weight so the tanks doesn't deform.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Get a piece of 2" x 2" x 3/16" angle and mount it under the tank spanning from the frame sides. Drill two 3/8" holes in the frame flange and bolt it up.
Peace of mind fix.

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Do you have an enclosed & heated underbelly? If yes, what looks like a sagging tank could be caused by the layer of batt insulation that they sandwich between the tank bottom and underbelly coroplast which causes the coroplast to look like it's bulging downward.

I saw on the FR river forum the other day that someone mentioned FR is recommending NOT to travel with full tanks. Sad that the RV manufacturers build RVs and you can't travel with at least a full FW tank. All they have to do is spend another $1 or two on stronger brackets. Tank support issues are not isolated to FR products.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
prairiequad wrote:
I'm a newbie just purchased a 2017 forest river pull behind trailer and found the fresh water tank brackets bending. is this a common problem or recalls with any makes ?

Of course it's common, manufacturers will do as little as possible to get a trailer off the production line, any extra attention goes into making it look pretty rather than more functional. The fresh water tank on my own 2014 Coachmen Freedom Express originally looked like this ...

Fortunately my model year had an open underbelly so it was easy to spot. I had my dealer rectify this by adding steel supports ...

By 2016 Coachmen (a Forest River company) had added an enclosed underbelly to the 192RBS and mockingly added "support braces" to the FW tank, a minimal effort considering this tank full of water would weigh in excess of 250 lbs. It's only a matter of time before these braces bend and the screws strip out, allowing the tank to sag severely from the weight of water sloshing around inside it and eventually fall off the trailer entirely.

Recalls? That's funny - unfortunately the joke's on you.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Replace or amend the original, lackluster supports with steel of sufficient size. You may wish to add cross braces to better support the weight. Others have done this with good success.
Good luck!
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
All tanks should be capable of travel when full, but many are not. Being able to carry a full fresh tank is often necessary. If yours is sagging, it needs to be restructured/better braced. In some cases, with trailers having low CCC, the full tanks would put them over the GVWR, with almost nothing else added for gear/supplies.

Jerry

BillyBob_Jim
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome to the Forest River water tank bouncing down the road club! What brand? Rockwood / Flagstaff? Cedar Creek? Salem? Fill in the blank?

Its an ongoing issue and has been for a few years. Cheap thin support brackets supplied by LCI. Certain Forest River divisions have been known to actually send emails to people telling them the trailers are not designed to be moved with fluid in the tanks. They contend a section of their manual quoted below actually means not to travel with water in the tank.

"When traveling, you may want to drain the tank or keep the quantity of water to a minimum. This will reduce the total weight of the RV for travel. The location of the fresh water and the waste water tank drain valve will vary from RV to RV but is generally located beneath the RV near the respective tank."

Go to Forest River Forums and search for "water tank" or "tank fell out" and you'll get plenty of reading material and info on repairs.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
With Forest River? Ask Charlie and Warren.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad