Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fridge Issues

rookiehookie
Explorer
Explorer
hi all

hoping to get some help from y'all.

recently I stumbled into some issues with my (older) RV fridge. it's a dometic RM2352 fridge and I always run it on propane.

today, I turned on the fridge like always (on propane) and the marker/needle wandered into the green field indicating the fridge was on. after 1 hour I noticed the fridge wasn't cool at all (which it usually is by then) although the needle was still in the green field = fridge on.
I went to have a look at the cooling unit and noticed no flame was burning but the boiling unit on the right hand side was a bit warm... so there must have been going on something...

I recently changed the propane tank, both the stove and water heater work without issues. the fridge worked fine for the last few weeks.

does anybody have an idea what this could be about? thank you in advance for your help.
21 REPLIES 21

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
check the overheat fire prevention switch If it tripped the pilot will not light no matter what you do. First check that there is no yellow residue anywhere in the back of the fridge. if there is you need a new cooling unit (4 hour swap) if not check the switch there are you tube videos on that. Magnetic ones can be reset. the two wire with a center pin on the chimney above the burner has to be replaced
2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

rookiehookie
Explorer
Explorer
thanks for all the answers.
I tried multiple times to turn it on/off. The boiling unit always gets warm, however the fridge doesn't cool, even if I leave it on for the whole night.

Could this be an issue with the coolant (needing to be refilled)?

Fulltimers
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with ticki2. Sometimes soot and chunks of rust can fall from the chimney down on to the burner and disrupt the flame.
Fulltimers
Fulltimers Weblog

2003 Rexhall Aerbus 3550BSL
W-22 Workhorse
2005 Saturn Vue (Mr. Toad)
3.5L V6 Automatic

ticki2
Explorer
Explorer
The burner should stay lit until the fridge is cold , try cleaning off the burner and relight it
'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Can you feel any cool in the freezer?

I would turn it on/off until it starts working. It could be that there was an air bubble and you have to cycle it out. However, I've never had this happen.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Mine takes about 5 hours before the first cycle to off.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

joerg68
Nomad II
Nomad II
after 1 hour I noticed the fridge wasn't cool at all (which it usually is by then)

In my experience, an hour is never enough for an absorption fridge to cool down. More like "over night". What was the ambient temperature? What was the temperature inside the fridge?
2014 Ford F350 XLT 6.2 SCLB + 2017 Northstar Arrow