Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fridge Issues

rookiehookie
Explorer
Explorer
hi all

hoping to get some help from y'all.

recently I stumbled into some issues with my (older) RV fridge. it's a dometic RM2352 fridge and I always run it on propane.

today, I turned on the fridge like always (on propane) and the marker/needle wandered into the green field indicating the fridge was on. after 1 hour I noticed the fridge wasn't cool at all (which it usually is by then) although the needle was still in the green field = fridge on.
I went to have a look at the cooling unit and noticed no flame was burning but the boiling unit on the right hand side was a bit warm... so there must have been going on something...

I recently changed the propane tank, both the stove and water heater work without issues. the fridge worked fine for the last few weeks.

does anybody have an idea what this could be about? thank you in advance for your help.
21 REPLIES 21

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
pianotuna wrote:
rookiehookie wrote:
pianotuna wrote:
Rookiehookie,

I expect the cooling unit is toast.

the boiling unit is still working, I can feel that is warm and by the part the flame is, it's even hot.

are the boiling unit and the cooling unit separate from each other, meaning the one can still work (boiling unit) and the other not (cooling unit)?

The tube may be blocked. Some times the blockage may be shifted by taking the fridge out and "rolling it". This is a "hail mary" attempt to get it to work. How long will it work? 5 minutes or 5 days?

It is a sealed unit. Replacement is the only true fix. Consider moving to a 120 volt cooling unit.

So, new fridge, more $$ and a big ole electrical upgrade, batteries, solar, inverter, etc plus all the wiring and install cost since he don’t sound like a diy guy….
Yeah that makes almost no sense in his case, practically or financially.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Gotta do some more work and diagnosis before throwing it out and calling it toast.
You didn’t say whether the pilot light is working and you haven’t attempted to clean the burner out. Start there.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
Spiders are notorious for building webs in the flame tubes. This was always the first place we looked when the fridge wasn't running on gas. A thorough inspection and cleaning of that tube is required. Does it run on electric? If so, it's not the cooling unit.

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

tmartin000
Explorer
Explorer
https://jc-refrigeration.com/

Make sure you know exactly which unit you have now. I’d, make & model
2001 Lance 835. SOLD
2009 Lance 1191. SOLD
2021 Lance 1172

riah
Explorer
Explorer
From where did you get that? Which model, brand, size?

tmartin000 wrote:
I went the Amish 12vDC unit three months ago. $800. DONE!!!

tmartin000
Explorer
Explorer
I went the Amish 12vDC unit three months ago. $800. DONE!!!
2001 Lance 835. SOLD
2009 Lance 1191. SOLD
2021 Lance 1172

rookiehookie
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
rookiehookie wrote:
pianotuna wrote:
Rookiehookie,

the boiling unit is still working, I can feel that is warm and by the part the flame is, it's even hot.

are the boiling unit and the cooling unit separate from each other, meaning the one can still work (boiling unit) and the other not (cooling unit)?

The tube is blocked. Some times the blockage may be shifted by taking the fridge out and "rolling it". This is a "hail mary" attempt to get it to work. How long will it work? 5 minutes or 5 days?

It is a sealed unit. Replacement is the only true fix. Consider moving to a 120 volt cooling unit.

ok thank you.

I will look into replacements.

thanks all for your help!

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
rookiehookie wrote:
pianotuna wrote:
Rookiehookie,

The tube may be blocked. Some times the blockage may be shifted by taking the fridge out and "rolling it". This is a "hail mary" attempt to get it to work. How long will it work? 5 minutes or 5 days?

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

camperfamily
Explorer
Explorer
The boiler is part of the cooling loop – it is really one unit. If the flame is heating the boiler but your not getting cooling there is a fair chance the cooling unit is in need of replacement. They are not repairable. I suggest doing some research on cooling unit replacement if you want to consider doing this yourself. There is a lot of good information out there to help you diagnose the issue. I just replaced our cooling unit with great results. Half the cost of a new refrigerator and not at all hard to make the swap.
2011 Cougar 322QBS
2007 Pilgrim 278BHSS (Sold)
2023 F359 CCLB 7.3
2013 F350 CC LB 6.7 (Retired)
2002 F350 CC LB PS (Retired)
B&W Companion Hitch

rookiehookie
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
Rookiehookie,

rookiehookie
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
Rookiehookie,

would this mean the whole fridge needs to be replaced?

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
If you need a new cooling unit, here it is. I have bought from these folks. top quality units

https://rvcoolingunit.trueims.com/item/388
2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Rookiehookie,

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
rookiehookie wrote:
thanks for all the answers.
I tried multiple times to turn it on/off. The boiling unit always gets warm, however the fridge doesn't cool, even if I leave it on for the whole night.

Could this be an issue with the coolant (needing to be refilled)?

No, the system is sealed - you cannot check levels or refill.