cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Front glass window protection

JCR-1
Explorer
Explorer
Many new travel trailers are now using frameless large glass windows up front. My Rockwood does not have a cover or accessory mat to protect this from flying objects , stones, etc.Any suggestions , ideas on best way to protect this window?
17 REPLIES 17

Fisherman
Explorer
Explorer
How about looking into this product. https://www.windowfilmdepot.com/product/bulletshield/

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Covering the window is a good idea. Unlike a tow vehicle, a trailer follows right on the heels of another vehicle and is vulnerable to rocks thrown up by the tow vehicle's rear wheels.

Here is an idea -- using short self tapping stainless screws, attach C-channels to the front of the trailer above and below the window. Slide a piece of plywood into the channels. Rig up pins at each corner of the plywood so that the wood does not blow off.

At the campsite, remove the plywood rock guard.

Obviously, this will have to be carefully secured. The tolerances will have to be pretty precise.

Good luck!
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

avoidcrowds
Explorer
Explorer
As jwfails says, for Lance trailers, Autoweave in Denver makes covers. They are vinyl, and can be ordered with a closed-cell foam backing. They sew snaps into the cover, and supply snaps with adhesive backs to put on your trailer. I have one on my trailer, and have traveled about 8,000 miles with no problems with the snaps. Cover is on when we are on the road, and I remove it when we get to camp.

If you have the dimensions of your window, Autoweave may very well make a cover for you. They have been making covers for the Lance window for a few years, so they have it down very well. I think mine was about $225, but that is with a template they already have. Very-well worth it, in my book. I have replaced my pickup windshield twice since I got our trailer. Not worth the risk to the trailer window, when a cover can likely prevent the breakage.
2017.5 Lance 1995
2017 F150 EcoBoost, Max Tow
Most camping off-road

Sgeorge
Explorer
Explorer
I'm a little surprised at some of the negative responses to this thread. Have these people never seen a front window on a car/truck get cracked? These front windows are custom made just for Forest River, they are expensive to replace and what will we we do if it breaks after a redesign of the trailer. I have read more than a few stories of these windows needing to be replaced. I for one am going to try and find someone to build me a protective cover that can be taken on/off. Love having a front window, but this issue does scare me.
2013 Springdale 232SRT
2016 F250 XLT, 6.2, 4.30.

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
troubledwaters wrote:
Why do you think it needs to be protected?

So it doesn't shatter from a flying rock, then require replacement in the middle of a trip.

It's highly improbably that a glass shop can replace it same day or next day like they can with a car or truck windshield.
Bob

jwfails
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Lance and made my own cover out of Lexan (polycarbonite), and the other option is to call Autoweave out of Denver,tel303) 288-6222, they make covers for Lances.

Others have said why? Insurance against breaks. Yes, the glass is safety glass, but I donโ€™t want to have to spend $7-$800 to fix it, and then let it sit at the RV place to be fixed for a month or two. Hope this helps.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
troubledwaters wrote:

The reason was listed in the original post:

JCR-1 wrote:
to protect this from flying objects , stones, etc.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
mobeewan wrote:
beemerphile1 wrote:
Think about it, the windshield of your tow vehicle doesn't have a cover either.

Yeah but it can be replace same-day or next-day.

Not so much for custom Order trailer window glass.

And at what price?

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
beemerphile1 wrote:

Yeah but it can be replace same-day or next-day.

Not so much for custom Order trailer window glass.

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
beemerphile1 wrote:

True, and there are lots of companies that exist solely because of that fact.

I saw a couple of these at the RV show this year, and that was my first thought. My second thought was how the front window has always been a prime area for water intrusion to take place.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

Sgeorge
Explorer
Explorer
On the FROG (Forest River Owners Group) facebook site there have been a few instances of windows being cracked from a variety of reasons. It is a concern for me as I'm planning a trip to Alaska and if one can be cracked that is the place. I also worry that if I keep the trailer through the next redesign and need to replace the window the current window may not be manufactured anymore. FYI - Forest River completely changed the front cap design after 2016, so it will happen eventually. I am going to find someone that can make me a protective cover. There is a company called Clearview Products that makes a clear protective film that they say will protect the window. They make it specifically for the Rockwood windows. I'm skeptical, but it might help.
2013 Springdale 232SRT
2016 F250 XLT, 6.2, 4.30.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
My trailer is 15 years old, has a front window protector made with a metal frame with thin fiberglass panel as protection. You can see it in my signature picture just under the trailer name on the front (in blue).

It has traveled all around the US with 15 years of travel between Michigan and Florida or Texas each winter. It has never had a ding or hole from flying rocks or anything else except bugs. The main use for the cover is as an awning over the window when parked.
i would not worry about that window up front.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

troubledwaters
Explorer II
Explorer II