cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Generator Question (yes, ANOTHER one...)

fx2tom
Explorer
Explorer
I am looking for an inverter generator for use in dry camping (specifically Pismo/Oceano Dunes) for my TT. I have a 15k BTU Dometic A/C unit. Question is - will the Champion 3100 watt power the A/C?

Or, should I get the parallel system and 2 of the 2000 watt units.

Or another option?

Sorry, cannot justify the Honda and Yamaha pricing for something that will get used once or twice a year.
2002 Ford F250 Lariat 7.3l 4x4 CCSB
2007 Forest River Sierra Sport M-26FBSP
10 REPLIES 10

Highbeam
Explorer
Explorer
I really like mine too? I have the 3100 non-estart version, many hours on it now. My second Champion and I would recommend it to my mom!
2000 F350 diesel crew SRW 4x4
2012 Creekside ORV 26BH

fx2tom
Explorer
Explorer
I have pretty much decided to go with the 3500 watt Champion (http://www.championpowerequipment.com/products/inverters/100262-3500w-wireless-remote-inverter/) and just keep my eyes open for a sale.

Acdii
Explorer
Explorer
fx2tom wrote:
I am looking at 2 Ryobi 2,200 watt units with a parallel kit. Home Depot has it for $1,198 right now. 58db. Anyone know anything about them?

You would be much better off DB wise with the Champion 3100, its 58 DB, and only need one unit. Best part, they are under $800.

Clockman
Explorer
Explorer
Yes fx2tom, It should run your 15K no problem...Where in CA you at?If your in the La Area, you can test mine out,,,THen it Order from Costco.com It will deliver to your door in two days...It say three weeks but that's Bs...

_1nobby
Explorer
Explorer
fx2tom wrote:
I am looking at 2 Ryobi 2,200 watt units with a parallel kit. Home Depot has it for $1,198 right now. 58db. Anyone know anything about them?

When I hear Ryobi..... "generator" is not the first thing to come to mind.

Find out who actually builds them and then make a decision.

fx2tom
Explorer
Explorer

Acdii
Explorer
Explorer
Add another to the list. Have the 3100 and can run my 13.5k and refer at the same time, no issues. Its a nice little unit that I got from Farm and Fleet for around $700. Well worth it.

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our Champion 3100 with remote start has no issue powering our AC unit, even used it at 7500' elevation where a gas engine loses quite a bit of power and it still didn't miss a beat. Converter was charging batteries and we watched HDTV and HD satellite while AC was running, all this and Champion was still on eco-mode. The 3500 watt version is available for a few dollars more if you think you need more power, it is still about the price of a single red or blue 2K unit. Shop around online, was able to find mine for a couple hundred dollars less than big box stores, plus free delivery and no taxes.

bowl2764
Explorer
Explorer
I recently purchased the Champion 3500 watt inverter generator. CW had them on sale for less than a $K. Have used it twice so far and it has plenty of power for my 15K AC unit. When AC starts it will rev up out of economy mode. Naturally you cannot run to many other large power pulling devices, microwave, water heater, etc at the same time. We usually run frig and water heater on gas. Even out of economy mode we can stand within 5/6 ft and still carry on a normal conversation. This unit weighs about 95 and has electric start or remote starter. With shoulder problems I felt the electric start was worth the extra $'s. Lowes also has 3400 watt online. So far we are very happy with purchase.

http://www.campingworld.com/browse/skus/index.cfm?skunum=88537&rewrote&affiliateid=5193&gclid=CMrE1cG_zc0CFUI9gQodQ9MJWA

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Another 3100 run air post

Extended run fuel tank

Champ v Honda arguments 2013
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman