cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting started....tow vehicle recommendations....PLEASE!

AWbucky
Explorer
Explorer
We are looking at starting the adventure of having a travel trailer!!!! Our plan is to start with the tow vehicle. We are expecting to purchase a TT that is around 23ft. We would like to get a SUV to be our tow vehicle and was wondering if anyone has advice of pros and cons they have encountered. We are looking into the Ford expedition, jeep Cherokee and dodge Durango. We will need to purchase used 2008-2011. Any help would be appreciated!!!
79 REPLIES 79

mrw8i
Explorer
Explorer
You can never get to big a TV, but you can get too small of a TV. That's true with the size, power, suspension, braking, . . .

Dtaylor
Explorer
Explorer
You might want to look at the wheel base as well. I think the jeep may be shorter than say the Expedition. You want the longer. I am towing a 27 foot (30) with mine. What ever you buy, make sure it has the factory max tow package. Ford for example has the standard tow package and the max tow package. If you are buying used, have a dealer run the serial number to find out. Here is a easy rule of thumb to make it easy for you. Whatever your max tow capacity for your vehicle is, you want 20% reserve. So, if your vehicle has a max capacity of 9000 lbs., look for a TT in the gross weight less than 7000. Once narrowed down to weight, then look at things like hitch weight, etc. BTW, almost every manfg has lightweight TT that are 1/2 ton towable. Just don't push the trailer weight to close to the tow weight, keep the reserve.
Our Travel Blog

2018 Premier 29RKPR
2014 Ford F-150

rscraig
Explorer
Explorer
You might also want to consider a Toyota Sequoia. We bought one used several years ago and it towed our hybrid up and down the Rockies very well.

Steve
Steve
2012 Jayco Eagle 26.5 RKS
2006 Dodge 2500 4x2 QC 5.9L CTD

ohio4whlr
Explorer
Explorer
also when purchasing a suv for a tv the majority of them will have pasenger tires. i towed my 24' tt with my '99 two door tahoe with no issues. but i have LT tires and WD hitch. My brother-in-law has an '05 espy and used it to pull his 20' boat and switched to lt tires and noticed a huge difference.

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
Suburban 2500...give you room to grow in the future.
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

It’s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

NWKomfort350
Explorer
Explorer
My trailer is 23 feet and currently weighs in at 6,620#. Tongue weight is 1, 040#. We have only taken 2 trips in it I already have another list of things to load in it . TT gvwr is 7, 500#. IMHO you should look at a TT gvwr, and tongue weight, not length.
Chris & Stephanie
2 kids - 1 boy / 1 girl
Winston (boxer)
2016 Open Range Roamer 367BHS
13 F350 6.7 CREW LONG BED SRW
B & W Patriot

02 F350 7.3 SC LB SRW - SOLD
2014 Keystone Cougar 281BHS - SOLD

wcjeep
Explorer
Explorer
I'm a Jeep guy. One thing I would not do with a Jeep Cherokee is tow something as big as your looking to purchase. Minimum tow rig size would be the Ford Expedition. What about a truck with a canopy on the bed for extended dry storage?

chevor
Explorer
Explorer
1/2 ton truck or 3/4 ton suburban/excursion/van is what I would look for.

lifelongcampers
Explorer
Explorer
AWbucky wrote:
We are looking at starting the adventure of having a travel trailer!!!! Our plan is to start with the tow vehicle. We are expecting to purchase a TT that is around 23ft. We would like to get a SUV to be our tow vehicle and was wondering if anyone has advice of pros and cons they have encountered. We are looking into the Ford expedition, jeep Cherokee and dodge Durango. We will need to purchase used 2008-2011. Any help would be appreciated!!!

We started camping in a TT with a 19 ft fleetwood towing it with a Jeep Cherokee. It was not a good experience. I tried wider wheels and tires, having the rear suspension reworked and yes we were using a weight distributing hitch. It was still a very uncomfortable combo. All we did was switch to a F150 SuperCrew using the same camper, hitch, etc and it was a world of difference. I think it was the longer wheel base that made the huge improvement in towing comfort. Moral of the story is don't get a TV with too short of a wheel base. Happy trails.....

3_0charlie
Explorer
Explorer
Terryallan wrote:
3.0charlie wrote:
Don't forget that SUVs also have a low receiver rating. Another issue with SUVs is their low RGAWR (the allowed weight on the rear axle).

????. My Expedition had a 600lb / 6000lb weight carrying, and a 1000 / 9500lb Weight distributing, receiver capacity, The same as my truck.

However. It did only have a 500lb / 5000lb weight carrying bumper capacity. Again, Same as my truck. BTW.
My '04 Expy has a stock receiver capacity of 920# (w/WD) for a 8650# towing capacity. My TT has a wet TW of 820# for 6200# ready for any road trip (13%).
John, DW and 4 kids.
2013 Kodiak 263RLSL
2010 GMC Sierra 1500 Hybrid

Goose2448
Explorer
Explorer
One thing to think about is that a longer TV will handle a trailer better. The Expedition is probably as short as I would go. I used to have a Suburban and that was not all that fun to tow with, and I was towing equipment trailers types. Of course I didnt have sway bars either. Always be thinking ahead to. You may want to upgrade to a bigger trailer, maybe even a 5er at some point. I prefer a crew cab long bed truck for towing. Their long and heavy, which helps control the load. And if you go that route, you might as well get the 1 ton SRW, as the insurance is cheaper on them. The extra 30" in wheel base makes a big difference.
2008 GMC LMM CCLB DRW "Stuff and Things"
2004 Jayco Jayflight

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome!
Over in the HTT forum one camper (Chuck_S) is towing a Roo 23SS with an Expy.
If 23' is the "ball to bumper" spec that'll be a small trailer.
Yeah, better to have excess tow capacity now so you're not limited on the next trailer you get.
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
My advice, from experience ...get a tow vehicle for your next trailer...not the 23 footer you are planning to buy this time. There will be a next one and it will be bigger and heavier.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

eric_james
Explorer
Explorer
I'm towing a 6000 lb loaded trailer with my Expedition and a family of four. Pretty much as big as the truck can handle by hitch capacity, payload, wheelbase etc.

With a typical 23'trailer I don't think you can go wrong with an Expy unless you have five kids.

My previous trailer was 26' and 4200 lbs. It was a breeze to tow compare to the current trailer.

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
How many people will you be bringing along? If it is just 2-4, then get a 3/4 (or a one ton) crew cab. That way, if you want to get a bigger trailer, there isn't issues with "hmm, can I pull that" nagging at you with every model.