cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Going Back to a Travel Trailer

belairbrian
Explorer
Explorer
Well after almost 20 years we are going back to a travel trailer.
We started out back in 2003 in a Mallard 721 with bunks in the back. It was me, wife and two kids 4 and 6. It worked until a3 day rain out and being in that small space. Came home and bought a Springdale 5th wheel bunkhouse. Over the years we've been through a few 5ers most recently our 2009 Coachmen Chapparal. So we decided to downsize a bit. Kids are out of college now and one is in another state.

So yesterday we signed on a 2022 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS. Delivery is Wednesday afternoon. Dropped of the old 5er already.
We had actually made the deal on a Catalins 184 BHS,then my wife dissappeard during the PDI. She calls me and says she found one she liked better. To Be fair it was a new delivery to the lot.
Size wise we're essentially going back to the same length we started with all those years ago, except the layout is so much better.

Also going from a 09 to 22 the changes in equipment are staggering. I asked where the poarch light was and was shown an LED strip under the awning. WiFi prep, solid steps, 12v fridge, some sort of dome antenna rather than a crank up. Indoor outdoor stereo, outdoor grill.

Not sure which truck will get the tow duty yet. Have a Tundra 5.7L and a 8.1L 2500HD. Think I'll try it out with both and see. The GVWR is well within both trucks capability.

Probably coming home with just a ball in the hitch. The new equalizer won't be here till Thursday. But it's only 5 miles at 35-45 mph.
TV 2007 Chevy 2500 Long Box Vortec 8.1/Allison or 2016 Tundra Crew Max 5.7L 4x4
2022 Freedom Express 192RBS
Equalizer 4 way WDH, Prodigy 3 BC
USAF Retired
WAR EAGLE
12 REPLIES 12

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
Nice. Our first trailer was a 1998 Nash 22H. Wonderful well built small trailer that fit almost anywhere. 2 kids later (now up to 3) we upgraded to a Jayco 29QBS that is 35 feet long. Our next rig will be a 5th wheel, likely closer to 40 feet long as the kids grow and we intend to take a longer cross country trip in it.

Looking ahead to when kids are gone, thinking we will stay with a smaller 5th wheel, but who knows where the future leads us! Enjoy your smaller camper and simpler camping life! I miss my little camper and not hauling around 5 chairs, 3 bikes, a couple scooters, water table, rain boots, etc etc! (But I wouldn't trade it for the world!)
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
Congrats. Thatโ€™s a great floor plan. We did the same thing but went down to 18 feet and a T@B 400.

Hope you have many great camping trips.

John.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Texas Nomad wrote:
Bobmontana wrote:
You won't even need an equalizer with that 3/4 ton pickup I'd bet.

I have the 2019 version of the Freedom Express 192RBS. I towed it from DFW to Orange Beach, AL in June with a GMC Sierra 1500 without a hiccup. It tows just fine without an equalizer hitch.

While that may be the case in the real world, it certainly is not here on rv.net! lol
If you don't have an Anderson pro pride B&W super slide 16 phase wdh with intuitive anti sway with a weight safe hitch head, all hooked to an e over h braking system designed to haul down a 747 landing on a short runway, behind a F450 (not the little pickup but a REAL F450) or comparable truck, you will most certainly not have the performance capable of keeping it on a country road if a cow farts too close to the ROW fence and sends a breeze of dairy aire across the road as you happen to pass!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Texas_Nomad
Explorer
Explorer
Bobmontana wrote:

I have the 2019 version of the Freedom Express 192RBS. I towed it from DFW to Orange Beach, AL in June with a GMC Sierra 1500 without a hiccup. It tows just fine without an equalizer hitch.

traildog
Explorer
Explorer
We LOVE our Freedom Express! She's been to Colorado and many many state parks without letting us down.....
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express Ultra Lite 259FKDS.
2021 Ford F-150 3.5 ECO BOOST 4:30

Skibane
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bobmontana wrote:

Yep - That's a pretty substantial truck for that size trailer.

Baja_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats! Sound like a nice rig and you have the tow trucks for the job.
Now, all the fun places you'll visit and all of the cool mods you can do to make it yours!

Enjoy!
2023 GMC, 3500HD, Crew Cab, 6.6L Gas/6 Speed Auto, 4X4, Standard Bed; SRW
2011 Outback 250RS - Anniversary Edition
Equal-i-zer 10K

belairbrian
Explorer
Explorer
theoldwizard1 wrote:
When you say "12V 'fridge", is that a 12V COMPRESSOR refrigerator ?

Yes, 10cu ft compressor fridge
TV 2007 Chevy 2500 Long Box Vortec 8.1/Allison or 2016 Tundra Crew Max 5.7L 4x4
2022 Freedom Express 192RBS
Equalizer 4 way WDH, Prodigy 3 BC
USAF Retired
WAR EAGLE

Bobmontana
Explorer
Explorer

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
The 12 volt compressor fridge is an option. Did you get it?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
When you say "12V 'fridge", is that a 12V COMPRESSOR refrigerator ?

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Congratulations! At 6000 pounds max trailer weight I think both trucks will do fine.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad