cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Got my spot picked out for Dec 18th-20th

Gweedo
Explorer
Explorer
Taking my son out for a couple nights to a KOA.. Full hookups so no worries there.. and an indoor pool/hot tub/mini golf/go karts/ECT.. ok its really just a spot to park my HTT and enjoy some stuff with my son.. lol

Just thought I would ask if there are any other "things" I should be aware of as I haven't taken the HTT out in the cold, ever.. I don't have the PUGS for the canvas so its going to be cold, I will be bringing two plug in electric heaters and electric blankets for sleeping.. Then all the usual stuff, I plan to winterize when I get back from this trip as my HTT has a new parking spot next to the house (figured if I am going to move it, I may as well use it while its hooked up!!)..

Thanks..
11 REPLIES 11

Gweedo
Explorer
Explorer

testing

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
We camped in Yosemite, a number of years ago.
One night it snowed overnight and snow covered the PUGs.
It chilled the top of the tent end and we still got condensation, even with a vent cracked open.

So even PUGs have their limitations.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

Gweedo
Explorer
Explorer
ah ok.. I thought it was condensation.. I used the AC for a little to pull some of it out, and cracked a window at one point.. Just never been cold weather camping before..

My bathroom fan switch went bad and only works if you hold the button (cheap design), plus its so loud that I bet the neighbors could here it.. On my to fix list..

The last night it dropped below freezing as the rain and clouds left the area.. It got cold..

To sum it up yes I need Pugs..

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
Gweedo wrote:
Question.. Is there a preferred method to help the canvas be more water proof? It Rained so hard that the drops would hit the canvas and then the ever so slight "condensation\seepage" on the inside would hit me in the face..

And where can I go Boondock camping in NW Oregon? Any info on that subject would be great!! thanks guys..

The inside condensation is NOT water seeping through the canvas.
It's a result of humans breathing inside a trailer closed up as tight as a submarine. Common newbie mistake in hybrids, especially in cold weather.
And since Oregon has very high humidity, it makes it even worse.

First, you need PUGs
Second, you need to allow for air movement. Most hybrid owners crack open a roof vent and unzip a corner of a tent end window.
Third, turn the bathroom vent fan on low to help with air movement.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

Gweedo
Explorer
Explorer
Question.. Is there a preferred method to help the canvas be more water proof? It Rained so hard that the drops would hit the canvas and then the ever so slight "condensation\seepage" on the inside would hit me in the face..

And where can I go Boondock camping in NW Oregon? Any info on that subject would be great!! thanks guys..

mdcamping
Explorer
Explorer
Good to hear your making the best of it! Having a good attitude is half the battle! :C

Mike
2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercrew GCWR 19,500 157WB
Payload 2476 Maxtow 13,800 3.73 Equalizer 4 Pt Sway Hitch
2017 Jayco Jay Flight 24RBS
Old TV, 07 Toyota Tacoma, Double Cab, Factory Tow Pkg, retired towing at 229K. (Son now owns truck)

Gweedo
Explorer
Explorer
All good so far.. its only been down to ~38 degrees according to the weather app I use.. one heater and both electric blankets is the ticket.. It poured down some SERIOUS rain last night too.. Kept me up but my kiddo slept like a champ.. No issues with power using all three together and phone/tablet chargers, and my laptop.. The internet here is a totally different subject though..

scottsnider
Explorer
Explorer
I would say don't try to have the two electric heaters and the electric blanket on at the same time or you will most likely blow a fuse or circuit breaker. The guy before me in my HTT tried just 2 electric heaters and blew the circuit breaker and almost started a fire. I got one of those propane buddy heaters for inside and keep a window and vent open. Also got some insulation for the tent ends all three sides and the roof. Something to think about.

mdcamping
Explorer
Explorer
If you have the room and if it is going to be that cold you might consider turtling your hybrid. Temperature extremes between outside and inside may cause your canvas to sweat. In addition, makes it more problematic drying out the canvas for winter storage after your trip has ended.

Regardless, hope you have great trip! :C
Mike
2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercrew GCWR 19,500 157WB
Payload 2476 Maxtow 13,800 3.73 Equalizer 4 Pt Sway Hitch
2017 Jayco Jay Flight 24RBS
Old TV, 07 Toyota Tacoma, Double Cab, Factory Tow Pkg, retired towing at 229K. (Son now owns truck)

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
After this trip your son will be ready to enjoy some boondocking..away from TV, internet, street lights, another camper 7 feet away, and wildlife viewing etc.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
This time of year, freezing is the only real thing to be worried about. But if you are in an area where campgrounds still have water turned on, then you are probably good to go, nothing to worry about there.

You covered it very well .... electric blankets! They are your friend!

Enjoy and have a marvelous time!