Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Grand Design for Boondocking

nonrev321
Explorer
Explorer
Hello,

Am considering a Grand Design 2670KM (approx 32ft) for Boondocking. Has good size tanks so thats a positive.

Haven't been able to find much from people who own a Grand Design and use it for boondocking. Would be interested in their observations and comments on how suitable the Grand Design is.

Thank you

Rgds

nonrev
12 REPLIES 12

Copperhead
Explorer
Explorer
Don't overlook Lance. They are good trailers for boondocking.

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
goducks10 wrote:
Broken welds and insufficient bracing are the issues.

These issues go hand in hand with a frame that was spec'ed undersized.

I have had 3 TTs and 3 different frame makers. The lippert on my Sabre is by far the best one.

Both in materials and workmanship.
A VERY heavy frame, top notch welding (I am a welder) and Powdercoat instead of paint.

When it comes to frames.....
You get what you are willing to pay for.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Huntindog wrote:
BizmarksMom wrote:
I took a hard look at the Grand Design trailers, but the Lippert frame killed the deal. I was already trading in my Keystone trailer because the frame could not take the long dirt roads I drive to get to camping spots. I wan't going to buy another nice looking trailer with a wimpy frame.

I ended up buying a Nash 22h -- Part of the Northwood RV line. Outdoors RV is equally sturdy. My trailer is heavy - it's pushing my F150's capabilities. But it came with the big tanks, solar capability, and sturdy trailer I needed.

Also, think about length. I know I cannot get a trailer longer than 25' into some of the camp sites I really like. Your scenario may be different.
Did you actually look at the GD frame?

I just looked at one, and the frame is massive.
My present TT also has a Lippert frame, and it is very heavy duty as well.

Lippert builds the frames to what ever the manufacturer specs. If a manufacturer specs a weak frame... That is what they will get.

It's usually not the size of the frame thats the issue. It's the construction of all the pieces thats the issue. Doesn't matter how thick or wide the frame material is if it's not put together right. Broken welds and insufficient bracing are the issues.

BizmarksMom
Explorer
Explorer
Huntindog wrote:
BizmarksMom wrote:
I took a hard look at the Grand Design trailers, but the Lippert frame killed the deal. I was already trading in my Keystone trailer because the frame could not take the long dirt roads I drive to get to camping spots. I wan't going to buy another nice looking trailer with a wimpy frame.

I ended up buying a Nash 22h -- Part of the Northwood RV line. Outdoors RV is equally sturdy. My trailer is heavy - it's pushing my F150's capabilities. But it came with the big tanks, solar capability, and sturdy trailer I needed.

Also, think about length. I know I cannot get a trailer longer than 25' into some of the camp sites I really like. Your scenario may be different.

Lippert builds the frames to what ever the manufacturer specs. If a manufacturer specs a weak frame... That is what they will get.
I didn't. By that point I had found the Northwood RV dealer in town and had gone that direction.
2019 F350 towing a Nash 22H

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
southernsky wrote:
If you have Facebook there is a Grand Design Owners page. It might help

And there's a GD Imagine FB page also.
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
BizmarksMom wrote:

Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
Grand Design has a pretty good owners forum. I'm sure someone there could help you out.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

southernsky
Explorer
Explorer
If you have Facebook there is a Grand Design Owners page. It might help
2022 Renegade Super C
2020 Ford Ranger 4x4 Sport

BizmarksMom
Explorer
Explorer

2019 F350 towing a Nash 22H

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
You will really like solar, gbopp. Do it!
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
How long a period of time do you plan to stay out ? Off grid .
Are all your ducks in a row regarding freshwater, dumping and recharging ?

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
One reason we bought the GD was because of its larger tanks.
Does the 2670 have a gravity fill port on the fresh water tank? Our 2650 does but the earlier models didn't.
I believe the 2670 has the fridge vent on the roof and no fans, a plus over our 2650.
The Furrion solar port is a useless feature IMHO. I'm planning on adding solar but will tie the charge controller right to the batteries.
And you need to add the usual upgrades - dual batteries, and an upgraded converter for charging off a generator. My IOTA converter is in the pass-through next to the hookup center.
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......